Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:25 AM

695 posts, read 3,412,054 times

Advertisements

I could recommend a few places in the area that I like:

-Garden City Cafe (on Middlebelt North of Ford) Garden City
Just really a coney island but a friendly staff and good food. Nothing fancy. Might not handle 15.

-The Golden Feather Restaurant (on Ford west of Middlebelt) Garden City
Great restaurant. Features broasted chicken, ribs, and many other dinners. Not too upscale, but not like a coney either. Kid friendly. This is actually probably a great place for you to go.

-Leon's Family Dining (on Ford between Brandt Ave and Henry Ruff)
One my my haunts. I'm there every week. Love the staff, love the food. Also probably too small for 15.

-Little Mexico II (on Wayne just south of Warren) Westland
The best of the Mexican I've had in the area.

-Matador (on Van Born east of Inkster) Taylor
Nice, yet small, will handle 15, but tightly. Great food.

-Mexican Fiesta (on Ford Rd west of Telegraph) Dearborn Heights
Decent Mexican. My family loves it, I prefer the above two. Big place though, always have big parties there.

-The Bone Yard BBQ (on Telegraph south of Warren) Dearborn Heights (and on Plymouth east of Merriman)

And I know you didn't mean anything bad by your comment Acupunk. Just shedding some light on the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 12:24 PM

Oh and just wondering which freeway you mean. The only one I know that references GC is 275, and even then GC is a good 2+ miles from the exit, and the downtown area more like 4 miles.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:18 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,860 times
96 goes through Livonia, but it's pretty close. Maybe that's the confusion.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:33 PM

Hmm true, it's about 3 miles north of GC. Would be easy to get off at Middlebelt and get right to the heart of town though, I kinda prefer the view coming in off Ford Rd going west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
You should be on the board of the Chamber of commerce if you aren't already, I'm pretty sure you know a lot more about Garden City than my family. LOL
Thanks, but I don't think they'd want a 17 year old.

Last edited by cardwellave; 03-11-2008 at 06:44 PM..

Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,857,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
Hmm true, it's about 3 miles north of GC. Would be easy to get off at Middlebelt and get right to the heart of town though, I kinda prefer the view coming in off Ford Rd going west.

Thanks, but I don't think they'd want a 17 year old.
Why not? some town has a mayor about your age.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:28 PM

True. I know I volunteered for the Main Street Project haven't heard anything, which reminds me I was going to email the lady. Maybe they just don't like that I don't live in the city. Not my choice, I would if I could.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:38 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,860 times
I'm sure they will welcome the help whether you live there or not.

Maybe you need to start a business there in the future, then you could head up the chamber of commerce.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:54 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Garden City has the potential to be the next Wyandotte or Northville and even the next Royal Oak if the right kind of initiative is put forward. The city has the backbones for it.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:37 PM

926 posts, read 2,748,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
I meant no offense, I have family in Garden City, I've just always loved Detroit and being in the city.

You should be on the board of the Chamber of commerce if you aren't already, I'm pretty sure you know a lot more about Garden City than my family. LOL
What you think of Hammtramck (sp)? I heard if I live in Detroit and I dont live downtown to live in that neighborhood

Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 PM

926 posts, read 2,748,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
Hey, I could talk for days about Garden City. Feel free to send me a PM and ask me anything about it. I'm sort of a historian on the area.

In general the downtown has been somehwhat revitalized, not to the extent of Northville or Plymouth or Ferndale or Wyandotte, but it is pleasant. The city is pretty small. About two miles tall (Cherry Hill to Warren) and a little over 3 miles wide (Inkster to some sloppy borders on the west side including Venoy Rd and Radcliff St.)

The "pleasant name" comes from the British garden layout of neighborhoods, making larger lots to be able to grow a garden in tough times. You can see on a map some of these larger blocks still exit (Between Bock St and John Hauk St for example) though some of those larger blocks were filled in with other streets (example Donnelly St). The area was first discovered by John Lathers, and the city pays homage to him these days by the 1940s era Lathers Avenue on the east side of town and the Lathers General Store at the Garden City Historical Museum, open Wednesdays and Saturdays on Merriman Rd and Elmwood Avenue (North of Ford Rd.). The city also has two boulevard style (divided) avenues running east-west between both Warren and Ford and Ford and Cherry Hill (Maplewood Ave and Marquette Ave respectively). I've found this has really enhanced the landscape of the city.

The city has a lot of 40s bungalows on the east side along with some smaller sided and bricked ranches. Some areas do have some VERY old homes from the middle 1800s, as well as brand new subdivisions, such as Victoria Gardens (near Marquette Ave and Henry Ruff) and some new condo developments around Krauter Ave and Dillon St and on Meadow Lane off Middlebelt.

I myself am planning to volunteer on their Main Street Project initiative soon to be underway. They are also starting a Farmer's Market in Garden City this summer. Right downtown is the first K-Mart ever built at Ford Rd and Brandt Ave, and right behind it is Henry Ford's honeymoon home, a registered Michigan Historic site. Garden City is also home to the first Little Caesars, on Cherry Hill near Merriman.

Garden City is also home to great schools; all were recently redone or remodeled extensively. They have a very low crime index, and lots of good businesses and restaurants throughout with easy access to Westland Mall, Downtown Detroit, and the freeways. They are also home to Garden City Osteopathic Hospital, so urgent care is never too far away.

Anything else you want to know, please ask!

And here is a picture of Garden City's greatest old building, the Faulkner Buidling, former city hall, and home today to Orin Jewelers on the corner of Ford and Middlebelt, in the heart of the Downtown District.

wow I am so interested in Garden City now! You should work in the visitors center or something. Do you have any pics of these 1800 homes? How far is downtown Detroit and Ann Arbor? What mile is it by?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan