Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:37 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,679 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that the Flint Public Schools capacity is for 48,000 students and there are currently only 8,000 enrolled.

I don't know if this figure includes schools that have been closed but are still standing.

Three of the four city high schools are now closed.

All of the schools that I attended are closed or gone:

Stevenson Elementary - now part of the Hurley Medical Center complex. In fairness, the school was 50 years old when I attended from K-6 in the 50s.

Longfellow Junior High - closed (not sure of the date)

Central High School - closed in 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 06:39 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
My understanding is that the Flint Public Schools capacity is for 48,000 students and there are currently only 8,000 enrolled.

I don't know if this figure includes schools that have been closed but are still standing.

Three of the four city high schools are now closed.

All of the schools that I attended are closed or gone:

Stevenson Elementary - now part of the Hurley Medical Center complex. In fairness, the school was 50 years old when I attended from K-6 in the 50s.

Longfellow Junior High - closed (not sure of the date)

Central High School - closed in 2009

flint community schools serve around 30k. longfellow closed in 2006

here's an interesting stat from the most recent census of flint. percent of population over 25 that has a bachelors degree is 11.5%. the county rate was 18.9%. that means roughly 61% of the degree holding population of genesee county lives in Flint city.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,131 times
I've traveled all over. Flint is just a side step to other cities with worse problems. I know lots of people all over. Michael Moore says one flip about Flint then it magically sagged to a level of imagination. It's a small town. An education system can't fix stupid people. Every town in all the world has its stupid people Crime happens to criminals. They don't randomly shoot people. Their problems float with in their own walls. You can't make a living as a criminal. People don't carry cash. Ten times out of ten you go broke and die or are dragged away to the slammer. The little they have is taken from them by their own foolishness. You can make more working the lowest paying job than any crime. Even if cocaine was big again you would still be a prisioner in whatever house you owned and you wouldn't live long enough to enjoy anything. You're being lied to whenever you turn on the TV. You need to make over 40,000 a year for crime to be at least sustainable for one person. Small businesses can't afford that and they can't cook the books for you. And they are forced to go to the police. Most homes don't have 40,000 dollars worth of items. Things are easily traceable nowadays And they are getting easier to track. Police scan license plates. Computers track everything. Computers can't take a bribe. I bet you Michael Moore owns a ton of property in Flint MI. It will bounce back.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:19 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
flint community schools serve around 30k. longfellow closed in 2006

here's an interesting stat from the most recent census of flint. percent of population over 25 that has a bachelors degree is 11.5%. the county rate was 18.9%. that means roughly 61% of the degree holding population of genesee county lives in Flint city.
Did anyone else notice the terrible math in this post?

Old 04-15-2015, 11:48 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nysay View Post
I've traveled all over. Flint is just a side step to other cities with worse problems.... I bet you Michael Moore owns a ton of property in Flint MI. It will bounce back.
No it won't. Did you read the other topic where a friend of someone’s mother moved to Flint and got 3 molotov cocktails thrown through her living room window so she had to flee the city? That's the Flint way of telling someone is not welcome in the hood. Flint, together with Detroit, Saginaw, Camden, East St. Louis etc. are the worst places in the western world and they will not revive exactly because of all the violence.

Last edited by drro; 04-15-2015 at 12:09 PM..

Old 04-15-2015, 06:09 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
No it won't. Did you read the other topic where a friend of someone’s mother moved to Flint and got 3 molotov cocktails thrown through her living room window so she had to flee the city? That's the Flint way of telling someone is not welcome in the hood. Flint, together with Detroit, Saginaw, Camden, East St. Louis etc. are the worst places in the western world and they will not revive exactly because of all the violence.
Yeah, I posted that.

But Flint will bounce back. It may take 30 years, but it will happen.

I've also begged for you to stop commenting without knowing actual facts. I don't sugar coat- it is far from a perfect, crime-free place. But there are great things about/in Flint.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:04 AM

173 posts, read 404,396 times
Flint will never bounce back until it adds a substantial amount of good paying jobs and diversifies its economy. Until the money starts flowing again, nothing will change.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:46 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Yeah, I posted that.

But Flint will bounce back. It may take 30 years, but it will happen.

I've also begged for you to stop commenting without knowing actual facts. I don't sugar coat- it is far from a perfect, crime-free place. But there are great things about/in Flint.
What great things might that be? I honestly can't think of anything positive about Flint while there is plenty of negative that comes to mind.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:11 PM

70 posts, read 145,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
What great things might that be? I honestly can't think of anything positive about Flint while there is plenty of negative that comes to mind.
Back to the Bricks, The Crim, The Firebirds, UofM, Mott, Kettering... By the way, what brings a Dutchmen like yourself to the Michigan forum?

Old 04-19-2015, 05:33 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy252 View Post
Back to the Bricks, The Crim, The Firebirds, UofM, Mott, Kettering... By the way, what brings a Dutchmen like yourself to the Michigan forum?
Trolling. He regularly trolls the Flint threads, for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan