Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 03:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,078 times

Advertisements

I've been talking to a few companies about inspecting homes for mold and allergens. One company says if they do find mold they will treat it with "bombs" and that I would have to be out of the house while they do the work. The work can take 3-5 hours and I am not comfortable with leaving strangers alone in my house for several hours. Has anyone done anything similar - leaving workers alone in your house for several hours? I'm not sure there is any other way since the company says the chemicals they use to treat the mold can be irritating. The owner said I could stay while they work, but, I should wear a mask all the time they are there working. Ideally, they said I should stay out of the house for 24 hours so that the house can be "sealed off" while the chemicals do their work on the mold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 09:41 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,257,144 times
Separate from your particular mold issue, in the world of home remodeling it is very normal for workers to have access to homes for 8+/- hours a day week after week. That is how people get kitchens, bathrooms, basements remodeled, additions added to homes etc. Often a coded lock box goes on the door so subcontractors can access too. An entire multi-billion dollar industry depends on people accessing homes when homeowners are not there.
Sure there are rare issues with theft but if it was common the industry would collapse. There is a certain safety in hiring a known established company as they have a track record.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:52 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,876,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrutable1 View Post
I've been talking to a few companies about inspecting homes for mold and allergens. One company says if they do find mold they will treat it with "bombs" and that I would have to be out of the house while they do the work. The work can take 3-5 hours and I am not comfortable with leaving strangers alone in my house for several hours. Has anyone done anything similar - leaving workers alone in your house for several hours? I'm not sure there is any other way since the company says the chemicals they use to treat the mold can be irritating. The owner said I could stay while they work, but, I should wear a mask all the time they are there working. Ideally, they said I should stay out of the house for 24 hours so that the house can be "sealed off" while the chemicals do their work on the mold.
It's very common for workers to be in your home while you are gone. Get references, references, references!! And read up on the company online and with the BBB's website and Angie's List.

Close your doors to the rooms where they don't need to go, hide all electronics or other things that are easy for people to walk away with. Even the most scrupulous company might have a bad egg working for them in this day and age. It also wouldn't hurt to take pictures of your home before they do the work. I've had workers damage things and then claim that it was like that before they did the work.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,078 times
Hi Craig11152 and Magellan. Both of you offered excellent suggestions about dealing with a reputable company and performing background checks via references, the BBB, Angie's List, etc. I'll certainly take up your suggestions. I appreciate your feedback which makes me more at ease in having my house worked on. Hopefully, my family allergies will settle down as a result. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan