Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 05:43 PM

7 posts, read 10,484 times

Advertisements

I just moved from Metro Detroit area to Grand Rapids for a job. Due to the fact that it was very difficult (almost impossible) to get a job in metro Detroit that pays good in my field without a bachelors Degree, here are some things I noticed.

THE TERRAIN

I wouldn't say it's most beautiful imo. But I would say the water is clearer on the lake/beach side. However, it seems very very very rural compared to the east side specifically Metro Detroit area. Which seems to be less opportunities for jobs as I will get into detail later in my next topic. A lot of farms out here once you go out the major cities such as Grand Rapids (if coming from Metro Detroit Kalamazoo isn't that big and Muskegon and the other cities here are really small and spread out a part). A lot of farming towns here, some redneck towns too.

THE WEATHER

Not really that much difference of weather, the snow here gets a little worst than southeast Michigan or East Michigan in general since living in Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids, I can not imagine how bad Muskegon get it since they're close to the beach. The clouds here look real nice on certain days as if we're in Arizona I noticed.

-----
ECONOMY

Besides West Michigan being so rural this is why I could never live here and specifically only moved here for Grand Rapids which isn't really for me but I'd still live there. The standard of living here is a lot lower than Metro Detroit, not a lot of money in Kalamazoo, Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon area, most cities are below average income of Michigan or average. East Grand Rapids and Forest hills are kind wealthy. A 3 bedroom house in East Grand Rapids or Grand Haven on average wouldn't be worth more than a one bedroom house in Birmingham,Michigan (Detroits area). Everything is pretty basic standard ordinary middle class. Very affordable to move here and get a decent place, rather than paying a large amount for something below decent. However, there are no LA Fitness 24/7 gyms here with a pool and basketball court, no Lifetime
Fitnesses, and there are not nearly as many malls as Metro Detroit to choose to shop from or places to live (except rural areas) so you're limited with those pitons.

I do like that it's easier to get a job here in my field and the health field, of course it's going to be a challenge everywhere, but West Michigan doesn't have as many jobs as Metro Detroit nor nearly as many people so it's easier to get a job here at a smaller company. Living in Metro Detroit for me it was basically impossible to get a job with a bachelors degree AND experience in my field, better yet other fields. Many people would come from Middle east and India to work in Troy, Rochester, GM in Detroit and the surrounding area, small/large tech companies etc. West Michigan standard of living is a lot lower but I would say the economy is better because it's a lot more struggle back east to find a job and competition wise. It's also more laid back on the west side of the state. Muskegon which is considered a big city here is not even nearly as big as Rochester which is considered a suburb of Detroit, so it's a very rural smaller setting, probably good for business owners as it's far less competitive in the field.

---------
THE PEOPLE

Most of the people hare are white. In the Metro Detroit area and Chicago area you will see a lot of minorities (Blacks) in the suburbs and middle class established and upper class predominately black communities (Southfield) or a high % of black communities in established cities (Farmington Hills, Rochester, etc) but here not so much, many of the minorities stay in Grand Rapids (Hispanic and Blacks) or Holland (Hispanics) seems a little segregated. If you're moving from Metro Detroit area or Chicago area you will notice it's not a lot of blacks in Grand Rapids at all, and quite a few in Muskegon but still not as much as Metro Detroit or Chicago area. You're more likely to see more blacks % wise in Southfield or suburban communiteis of Detroit than in the city of Grand Rapids. There are also not many Middle Easterns as Dearborn and Dearborn heights back in Detroit, so it's not as diverse, more segregated but the people seem more down to earth.

-----

THE VERDICT

West Michigan isn't that bad if you're trying to get a good head start in your career here coming from a big competitive developed metro area such as Detroit or Chicago. I would see a ok place to raise a family, but if you're looking to advance your career and are in your prime and have your Bachelors Degree, skill, and experience I would advise moving to the Metro Detroit area specifically Oakland County where you can live and work throughout the Detroit area in your profession; there the jobs pay a lot more and are able to advance your career working for a large advanced company. Here in West Michigan those options are extremely limited. I also believe it's a nicer place to go to College here because unlike Detroit area, if you go to College at Western Michigan you will not have to deal with the numerous traffic jams throughout Detroit of people traveling and commuting to work every day, it's more laid back, and less distractions. I wouldn't mind going to Michigan State eit
her which is more middle Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 06:42 PM

510 posts, read 716,595 times
I lived in West Michigan for several years. Granted, that was a couple decades back. But the big differences I saw is that W. Michigan is much prettier and closer to the lake. However, the trade-off is that the people are much less diverse and more conservative.

For instance, city ordinance on gay/lesbian rights are not a big deal in places like Ann Arbor and Ypsi. THe same issue faces a ton of opposition in places like Holland or Grand Rapids.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:13 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
I lived in West Michigan for several years. Granted, that was a couple decades back. But the big differences I saw is that W. Michigan is much prettier and closer to the lake. However, the trade-off is that the people are much less diverse and more conservative.

For instance, city ordinance on gay/lesbian rights are not a big deal in places like Ann Arbor and Ypsi. THe same issue faces a ton of opposition in places like Holland or Grand Rapids.
This just isn't true, you need to do your research on LGBT ordinances in Grand Rapids. Grand Rapids first enacted LGBT protection ordinances in 1994. They are currently working on rewording the ordinances to be in line with the times to include transgendered protections. Granted other cities started that years before. You're still over 20 years behind in your impression. Also East Grand Rapids has some of the most LGBT friendly Ordinances in the state. A lot has changed since "a couple decades back".

Old 03-15-2016, 11:51 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Moving to West MI from Detroit... I think the easiest transition would be to move to Grand Rapids and on a smaller scale Kalamazoo.

Overall west MI is a nice clean area. The cities have a little bit of grit but nothing like the in your face grit that you will see in major cities, especially Detroit. I talked to a guy at work who used to live in NYC and he was telling me the reason why he moved to Kalamazoo is it's a much nicer and family friendly area. He said NYC is very dirty and even smelly compared to West MI. His son couldn't wait to turn 18 and move back to New York though lol. I get the appreciation for someone who wants a more family friendly and simpler life... a breath of fresh air for someone who is tired of the rat race of some other areas.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:18 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post

Purely anecdotal, but Bernie Sanders won Kent and Ottawa Counties by a landslide in the primaries over any of the GOP candidates. Not that the parties are technically challenging each other yet, but shear "get out the vote" went pretty well for the Dems in both counties.

The area has grown by almost 200,000 people in two decades. And its diversity is changing rapidly.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
Earlier this year I took a trip to GP for business meeting. It was my first time there and I really liked it. I stayed down town and was very impress with their downtown. It didn't feel rural as I expected it. Instead it felt like a nice clean city where things were happening maybe not as same scale as big city but it wasn't dead. I can definitely see myself living in GP

But last year I visited my friend in Kalamazoo. She is doing her residency there & I could not see myself living in place like KZ. It is exactly as OP is explaining. It is quiet, spread out, old & not much happening. I thought Detroit was boring after my family moved from NYC but KZ takes it to a whole new level. But I wouldn't mind living near Grand Rapid or one of those small beach town but those might drive me crazy in winter

Old 03-16-2016, 01:24 PM

447 posts, read 496,066 times
I am a Chicago and Phoenix transplant living in Kalamazoo and I love it! It does not even come close to being as fun as Chicago, but it beats the heck out of Phoenix which is basically a giant suburban city.

Kazoo's suburbs are like all suburbs to me...... boring! However, the city itself is full of life. Being a large, college town the population is young (average age is 26), progressive, and the downtown is vibrant. It has an art scene that beats the hell out of most cities that are two to three times its size. It is packed with breweries and distilleries and most are within walking distance of each other. There is fest happening downtown nearly every weekend during the summer and at least one fest every month throughout the year. The city is very walkable, bikeable and safe. If I could afford to have the same quality of life in downtown Chicago, then I would live there. But I cannot, so I live and enjoy life, very happily in Kalamazoo. When I need my big city fix, I hop the train and a few hours later, I am in Chitown.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:17 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
I am a Chicago and Phoenix transplant living in Kalamazoo and I love it! It does not even come close to being as fun as Chicago, but it beats the heck out of Phoenix which is basically a giant suburban city.

Kazoo's suburbs are like all suburbs to me...... boring!

And Chicago's suburbs are just as bland and boring.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:40 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
OP, it sounds like you enjoy the stuff that can be found in the suburbs of a big city. McMansions, giant malls, 24 hour fitness palaces, etc. And that's OK. But those things you miss from the Detroit burbs don't necessarily have anything to do with living standards. That just means there's a lot more people and more money overall in the burbs of Detroit. Standard of living is based on income vs cost of living, and it might actually be higher in the GR area.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:26 AM

447 posts, read 496,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
And Chicago's suburbs are just as bland and boring.
Amen brother! That is why it is not an option for me.
Bland and boring, only with more traffic .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan