Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 04:59 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,980,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Why would age / training wheels matter?
Because kids on bikes (with training wheels, just using that as an illustration) travel about 5 mph, about the speed of a pedestrian. Adults on bikes travel about 12 - 18 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 05:01 PM

82 posts, read 99,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Because kids on bikes (with training wheels, just using that as an illustration) travel about 5 mph, about the speed of a pedestrian. Adults on bikes travel about 12 - 18 mph.
With speed comes danger. Truth.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:35 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,943,817 times
Quote:
In many cities it's actually illegal to ride a bike on a sidewalk, especially in business districts where there are a lot of storefronts. If you're a parent riding with kids, then it's usually OK.

It's completely legal to ride on the street or road, and as someone who rides about 2500 miles a year, I'd much rather be on a street with a wide shoulder than a sidewalk any day. But again, not during very busy times. And I'm not talking about 8 - 10 lane superstreets like in Detroit. Especially since Detroit and the surrounding area has very little bike infrastructure.

Actually most bike/car accidents happen at intersections when a car turns in front of a cyclist, either turning right or turning left and the bike is in their blind spot. I've seen the data. This happens whether the cyclist is on the sidewalk or on the street.

Anyway, back to the OP's original point. I see people all the time looking at their phones while driving, even though it has been outlawed. It will take a systematic change to get people to stop doing it.

One thing automakers could do is provide docking stations that are located out-of-reach of the driver, that charge the phone and sync with the car's music system, phone blue-tooth etc.. This way you feel like it's worth it to dock (getting a quick charge, etc.) and it's too far away to reach. If your cell phone rings it automatically goes to the speaker system. If someone texts it automatically responds that you're docked and driving your car.

You will never get people to brake the habit otherwise, as it is a form of addiction. No amount of public service announcements or horrible stories will get people to think that something bad will happen to them.
I can agree with that, I don't mind as long as it's safe for everyone.

Also that's a good idea and I feel like some of the newer cars already have something similar though Bluetooth I think so that would be possible.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:14 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,909,984 times
Quote:
Why do you feel the need to tap the horn? And why do they need to move over a bit? Are they supposed to decipher your request from a horn tap? Why is it terrifying? So many questions..

I'm really confused.
When there is a lot of traffic and the road is very narrow, (the one I`m thinking of just now is both winding and narrow) I don't want them to get hurt. The thought of killing someone riding a bike is terrifying to me. Any other suggestions, besides a horn tap? I`m serious, here. There's usually no time to stop and chat.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:21 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,980,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
When there is a lot of traffic and the road is very narrow, (the one I`m thinking of just now is both winding and narrow) I don't want them to get hurt. The thought of killing someone riding a bike is terrifying to me. Any other suggestions, besides a horn tap? I`m serious, here. There's usually no time to stop and chat.
Slow down and wait behind them. Wait until you have a clear area to pass and then go around. Trust me, they hear you approaching from behind (the sound of tires on pavement is pretty loud), a honk may (will) actually startle them.

You would do the same thing if it were a tractor going 20 mph, wouldn't you?

Old 06-07-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Slow down and wait behind them. Wait until you have a clear area to pass and then go around. Trust me, they hear you approaching from behind (the sound of tires on pavement is pretty loud), a honk may (will) actually startle them.

Tractors are easier to spot ahead of time. That's usually part of the problem.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:50 PM

Regarding the OP's comment, I agree that 90 days for killing someone while texting is appalling.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:22 PM

50,889 posts, read 47,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Tractors are easier to spot ahead of time. That's usually part of the problem.
Part of the problem is people not paying attention to actually driving. I'd even say, most of the problem.

As far as people riding bikes on sidewalks, in MOST Cities it is illegal, and even if legal it would be a death wish in most cities if you have road bike tires.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:10 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,176,531 times
Quote:

Unless they are wearing earbuds, all too common in today's world.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:01 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,054,518 times
To the OP living in Texas ... You all don't have it right, either, so must be broader than just MI cases.

Quote:
Wealthy brat Ethan Couch killed four people, including a mother and daughter, while blacked-out drunk and driving 70 mph on a rural road in June. Defense attorneys said the boy suffered from 'affluenza' and blamed the boy's parents, saying they gave him everything he wanted and didn't teach him about consequences.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1544508

Spoiler: He got 10yrs of probation and and expensive rehab program that the tax payers are footing the bill for.

Last edited by dragon_fly_12; 06-11-2015 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan