Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:35 PM

18 posts, read 104,568 times

Advertisements

OK- I'm getting a little worried. After looking at 37 pages there is no mention- good or bad about Cheboygan. Does any one live there ? Do they have computers ? Where do the people who work in Cheboygan actually live ?

Anyone ,anyone - any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 06:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I thought that Cheboygan was eaten by a monster.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:35 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
I had to go to googlemaps to remind myself where Cheboygan was again. We visited it once when I was a kid, and I remember it being cold in the middle of Summer (around the 4th of July I think), and Lake Huron was freezing. It also has the unfortunate pleasure of being on the wrong side of the peninsula, so the beaches on Lake Huron are all rocks with no sand or dunes. That's why it's not much of a destination town like the Northwestern side.

What about Petoskey or even Indian River, and make the commute?

Old 01-11-2008, 11:14 AM

18 posts, read 104,568 times
Default Thanks....more questions ....

I've been looking at Petosky & Harbor Springs but wonder how long the commute would be in bad weather. One thing about MI is they know how to handle the snow and have the resources. We lived in Seattle for awhile and they closed EVERYTHING down because of 2 inches of snow. Crazy huh.

Indian River looks pretty small; what's it like? Like everything- we plan on coming up with an open mind, doing some severe recon and then go from there. Elementary and Middle school is first on my list- tests scores don't give the full picture and feel for a place ......so we'll see what happens.

Thoughts on Indian River & Harbor Springs ?

Thanks again

Old 01-11-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy 14 View Post
I've been looking at Petosky & Harbor Springs but wonder how long the commute would be in bad weather. One thing about MI is they know how to handle the snow and have the resources. We lived in Seattle for awhile and they closed EVERYTHING down because of 2 inches of snow. Crazy huh.

Indian River looks pretty small; what's it like? Like everything- we plan on coming up with an open mind, doing some severe recon and then go from there. Elementary and Middle school is first on my list- tests scores don't give the full picture and feel for a place ......so we'll see what happens.

Thoughts on Indian River & Harbor Springs ?

Thanks again
Harbor Springs is one of the wealthiest towns in that area, but you might find some good buys East of the town. Petoskey is nice because it actually has somewhat of an economy year round, and a small hospital. Don't know anything about the schools though. Indian River is mainly a resort town that serves Burt Lake and Mullett Lake, so I just threw that out there because it at least looks nice in the Summer.

If you have a decent vehicle, you're probably looking at a 40 minute drive in the Winter from Petoskey to Cheboygan (just based on looking at a map and figuring slower than 60 mph driving).

HTH

Old 01-11-2008, 05:07 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Petoskey to Cheboygan is closer to an hour. You have to slow down through all the little towns in between and it eats the time up. used to live in Gaylord and run up to Cheboygan. Nice little place, not much happening usually. Nothing wrong with it, just small. If it isn't making the news, there can't be too much news worthy things happening. Sense most of the news stations just covers the bad news, that must be a good sign anyway.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:12 PM

81 posts, read 303,258 times
All I know of Cheboygan is that they have a car ferry that goes over to the very remote Bois Blanc Island (where I will own land some day come heck or high water!). There is a cute downtown area with a few stores, restaurants, etc, and a Walmart on the edge of town. I don't know anything about the schools... sorry! Seems a bit economically depressed in that area...

Old 01-12-2008, 05:07 AM

3 posts, read 17,122 times
cheboygan is the county seat of cheboygan county, It is known as a kind of depressed area. Even though it has big water it is really not much of a town. It barly supports the super wal mart. Nothing to do there and I mean nothing, You can go fishing but other than that there are a couple of bars, snoopys more of a biker bar. and a couple of places to eat and none good. If you want to drive from petoskey you are talking about quite a hop. In the winter it would be a bad drive, Going through pelston and taking riggsville road, or robinson, It is thirty miles to cheb. from petoskey. Cheboygan last I looked was had the lowest income of any county not sure if it still does.The comment about petoskey having a small hospital is not correct at all, it is a regional hospital and is very large. This hospital is several storys tall and takes up the better part of five city blocks.
They do heart tras. and have a burn center.
If not for the hospital the town now with the housing economy in the dumper would be really dead.
The comment that harbor springs is a wealthy town is true, I have worked there for years and for people like ford,rynolds in RJR Rynolds,Bissel, and others with moldy money. It is said that 10 percent of the nations wealth has a home on the point. But Harbor springs real estate has tanked for the last two years. The people with money do not buy homes out side of the places like the point or gelnn drive. places where you start in the million dollar mark.
Where the wife summers in a 10000 SF home with the mercadies that is parked there just for summer use.
I would not move to Indian River, it is a very small town has almost no places to eat, and one food store, Kens village market, appx, thirty percent higher on avg. the nearest Wmart is Cheboygan about twentyfive miles north.
Indian river as said is a resort town and never grew past it. There is nothing to do there and I mean nothing.
If you want to move up north focus on Petoskey, not a whole lot to do there but a heck of a nicer town than cheboygan and even though the old vics that once brought over 200000 are now in the 175000 range they will go up when things turn around, in 5 to 7 years. The town is much more beautiful than cheboygan will ever be. The down town of cheboygan is run down with half the stores closed down or in disrepair. The Prosicuter there is more concerned about animal cruelty than about crime, she prosicuted a man in our neighborhood for killing a dog that was born with out any legs or eyes, said he should have taken it to the pound and had it looked at before making a life and death desision. The man did not have a lot of money so had to take a plea of cruelty to an animal. Catherine M. Castagne, I know of several Attorneys in the area and they all roll their eyes when you talk about her. I think she is up for election this year. Hope they vote her out. The short answer is there are many towns in the nort of michigan that are far far better than cheboygan.

Last edited by drivebyposter; 01-12-2008 at 05:23 AM..

Old 01-13-2008, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 18,836 times
Default Excuse me, but there are beautiful sand beaches on Lake Huron

It is incredible to me this comment from above, "the beaches on Lake Huron are all rocks with no sand or dunes." You couldn't be more wrong. Take a look at the sugar sand beaches from Tawas Bay all the way to the Alpena area on Lake Huron on the state's NE side. In particular, Harrisville State Park has a sand beach to rival those seen in Florida, the Carolinas, etc. Tawas State Park is another one, the sand is like sugar. Yet on second thought, don't. Those of us who know this wonderful secret would like to keep it to ourself.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveEleven View Post
It is incredible to me this comment from above, "the beaches on Lake Huron are all rocks with no sand or dunes." You couldn't be more wrong. Take a look at the sugar sand beaches from Tawas Bay all the way to the Alpena area on Lake Huron on the state's NE side. In particular, Harrisville State Park has a sand beach to rival those seen in Florida, the Carolinas, etc. Tawas State Park is another one, the sand is like sugar. Yet on second thought, don't. Those of us who know this wonderful secret would like to keep it to ourself.
As I said it was 25 years ago, and we never went back to that side of the State. I think your secrecy is working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan