Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 03:56 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,695,836 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the link and thread! God bless them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,249,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Did your relatives come here illegally?

The government at the time did not make it illegal to come here. The people, from all over Europe, we arriving. I order to cope with their arrival, they did not build electrified fences or attempt to stop the boats that were arriving in NY Harbor.

Instead, they built a grand receiving center called Ellis Island.

They did not make it "illegal" to come here. The official stance of the government was to respond to change, and accommodate the new comers.

Of course there were some who objected - nativists and the Klan. Those type of people.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:52 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,954,620 times
Quote:
Actually, Somalia's economy has improved since it privatized its government run industries. You might want to read up on it.
Why read anything when we have Fox News? Jeez, I'm sure you know that "America's Newsroom" supplies everything we need.
Quote:
Did your relatives come here illegally?
Since when does the right-wing care about legality? It just depends on where your bread is buttered.
I'm sure Fox has told you that illegals have been a boon to various businesses - probably why repubs never did anything about the issue when they had the power to do so.
Yet the bellowing against Dem "inaction" predictably starts once out of power. Very valuable as a wedge issue to keep the dittoheads in line.

If these were Scandinavians or Canadians, you would be inviting them into your home.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 08-09-2014 at 06:51 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 12:40 PM

21,266 posts, read 19,886,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Does it matter? EVERYONE who came after 1620 are here "illegally."
??? There were immigration laws in 1620?

Old 08-10-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
The government at the time did not make it illegal to come here. The people, from all over Europe, we arriving. I order to cope with their arrival, they did not build electrified fences or attempt to stop the boats that were arriving in NY Harbor.

Instead, they built a grand receiving center called Ellis Island.

They did not make it "illegal" to come here. The official stance of the government was to respond to change, and accommodate the new comers.

Of course there were some who objected - nativists and the Klan. Those type of people.
You're kidding, right? If not, do some research, because you are seriously misinformed.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Why read anything when we have Fox News? Jeez, I'm sure you know that "America's Newsroom" supplies everything we need.

Since when does the right-wing care about legality? It just depends on where your bread is buttered.
I'm sure Fox has told you that illegals have been a boon to various businesses - probably why repubs never did anything about the issue when they had the power to do so.
Yet the bellowing against Dem "inaction" predictably starts once out of power. Very valuable as a wedge issue to keep the dittoheads in line.

If these were Scandinavians or Canadians, you would be inviting them into your home.
Misinformed, again.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Misinformed, again.
Here is the current republican thought on the issue - a new noisy camp of radicals who basically want no brownskins in the country at all. This actually conflicts with the earlier "look-the-other-way" scheme of allowing easy-to-control-via-threat-of-deportation illegals here for their dirt-cheap and largely seasonal labor. So there are now two factions in conflict.
BTW I don't agree with the title of this opinion piece.
In killing immigration reform, Republicans ensure their own demise | TheHill

It's as I said, if these were Norwegians these selfsame repubs would be taking them into their homes as needy "political refugees". Who are you kidding?

The great fear for some:
http://www.theamericanconservative.c...ca-singlepage/

Last edited by detwahDJ; 08-10-2014 at 01:40 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 07:08 PM

You're delusional. You're trying to make this a skin color issue when it is not. Typical diversion tactic. There are "brownskins" (your offensive term) that are Republican, you know?

Old 08-10-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
You're delusional. You're trying to make this a skin color issue when it is not. Typical diversion tactic. There are "brownskins" (your offensive term) that are Republican, you know?
"Brownskins" offensive? It's a term used in the media to separate mainly Hispanic cultures from black ones. Your "outrage" here is, just like your media heroes, typically phony. I didn't make it up, and the RW needs to be called out on its phony posturing. You yourself never offer a rationale or data when challenged to back up your RW claims while sniffing and condescending huffs of annoyance, like the above, along with Fox talking points, seem to be your total arsenal.

First, you twist my words. Don't tell me it is not partly about race in the RW mind - it certainly is, especially with certain factions, a fact which you laughably deny. There is a history (their own) we are conveniently told by RW media to forget, while the election of Obama has put the right wing over the top in an unprecedented outpouring of hatred toward any president - who is also doing most of what the corporate RW faction wants.

With a wink and a nod to the Fox audience, here is your hero explaining it all.
This illustrates the phony charge of how the "Left" is responsible for promoting the racism "myth", and also shows how RW media keeps the issue going with dogwhistles to their base.

"The White Establishment Is Now The Minority" - Bill O'Reilly - YouTube

Bill O'Reilly Denies Having White Privilege - YouTube

You ignore the fact that I have also said it is partly economic, and there is a faction which considers it racial - so why do you spin my words around as totally "making it a skin color issue"? Deceitful! This desperate twisting and spinning is what diminishes your credibility imo.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:08 AM

Do you think that "redskins" is an appropriate term for Native Americans?

Liberal talk shows also made a big deal about the changing demographics in the last election. They made it seem like it was inherently a good thing for our country that the poorest, least educated, and most crime-ridden groups were the ones that were increasing in numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: