Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 03:37 PM

898 posts, read 937,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
That and the fact that they are generally less White than their Western Michigan counterparts.
I don't think being white has anything to do with it. The younger generations are simply more progressive than that of the older generations. Thus, it makes sense that where ever they live is probably a more progressive area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 04:25 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
I don't think being white has anything to do with it. The younger generations are simply more progressive than that of the older generations. Thus, it makes sense that where ever they live is probably a more progressive area.
Well, actually it does in terms of being Republican, as minorities tend to vote Democrat and even in White millennial voting, Romney had a lead against Obama. Voting wise, the most Republican cities to tend to be the Whitest, while the most Democrat cities tend to be majority-minority cities. Where red counties are situated, you can be sure to find Whites. Not saying that Blue counties can't be mostly White (like East Coast suburbanites), but Republicans have a higher chance of being White.

It's not that Whites are Republican, its' that non-Whites are most of the time Democrat. Not that this affects whether they are socially liberal or not. I do think though that being part of the "progressive movement" is seen more in Whites, however.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:59 PM

4 posts, read 7,970 times
gotta say, i'm pretty uncomfortable with your insistent capitalization of white. i notice that you don't capitalize minority. do you capitalize black? latino?

anyway, i think an east/west typology of Michigan politics is pretty useless. in the southern tier of the lower peninsula (below, say, Grand Rapids and Flint), i think it's much more neatly divided by urban/suburban/rural.

urban areas like Detroit, GR, Flint, and to a lesser extent smaller places like Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Jackson, Saginaw, etc are all dominated by Democrats. (is GR blue? pretty much - it's almost always represented by Dems in the state House (not Senate), and the city went for Obama while Kent County went for Romney - see President of the United States Details.)

suburban areas are usually dominated by Republicans. consider Wyoming/Walker/Kentwood around GR, or Portage near Kalamazoo, or western Wayne County (Livonia, Plymouth, etc.).

rural areas have few people, but are pretty conservative.

north of about Big Rapids, i really think even this doesn't hold together. people up north are just different. it's a lot like being in northern Wisconsin or Minnesota. they fit awkwardly with either party.

finally, i don't think Ann Arbor fits well into any of this. it's almost entirely white (with a noteworthy Asian contingent), but extremely liberal. some of Kalamazoo is like this as well. it's because of the universities. in each case, you get a different kind of liberal/Democrat than you do in, say, Detroit or Grand Rapids (two cities that are quite different from one another).

Old 07-18-2014, 05:09 PM

898 posts, read 937,548 times
Quote:
Well, actually it does in terms of being Republican, as minorities tend to vote Democrat and even in White millennial voting, Romney had a lead against Obama. Voting wise, the most Republican cities to tend to be the Whitest, while the most Democrat cities tend to be majority-minority cities. Where red counties are situated, you can be sure to find Whites. Not saying that Blue counties can't be mostly White (like East Coast suburbanites), but Republicans have a higher chance of being White.

It's not that Whites are Republican, its' that non-Whites are most of the time Democrat. Not that this affects whether they are socially liberal or not. I do think though that being part of the "progressive movement" is seen more in Whites, however.
Okay, so what are you trying to figure out? And why?

I'll also argue that most white Millennials do not identify as Republican or conservative.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:03 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,596,557 times
Quote:
That and the fact that they are generally less White than their Western Michigan counterparts.
Not by much. Ferndale and Royal Oak are still around 90% white and Ann Arbor is around 70%. However, both areas do have a sizable number LGBT residents which I think is a bigger factor in terms of political leanings.

But as others have said, it's more generational than it is racial.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:59 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Concerning the OP, a republican is just a member of the Republican Party and therefore supports the party platform and current agenda which is basically profit-driven privatization of everything, whether traditional business-friendly "conservative", libertarian, or teabagger - meaning all regulation and government controls off of businesses. In that light, they are all the same.
The Tea Party started out differently until they became financed by, and beholden to, oil billionaires (a fact which they now hide from the public).

Now "socially conservative" is a different matter.
You do realize that no social programs are possible without commerce, right? Business is the foundation for everything. You can't tax people and spend it on social programs if there is not commerce.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:34 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I don't think its a hard and fast rule. You can find hardcore social conservatives in SE Michigan, just like you can find hardcore libertarians (i.e. Justin Amash) in W Michigan. It ebbs and flows.
And there is a difference???

Old 07-19-2014, 11:05 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,932,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
You do realize that no social programs are possible without commerce, right? Business is the foundation for everything. You can't tax people and spend it on social programs if there is not commerce.
Where did I say or indicate that I am against commerce? Are you referring to my many rants against corporate crimes and corporate control of government? This is "commerce" to you?
The OP said "politics of republicans" a broad brush which would include the leadership support of corporate control and tolerance of malfeasance in the name of trickle-down, but as I said, "conservative morality" might be what the OP is after.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Not by much. Ferndale and Royal Oak are still around 90% white and Ann Arbor is around 70%. However, both areas do have a sizable number LGBT residents which I think is a bigger factor in terms of political leanings.

But as others have said, it's more generational than it is racial.
I was referring to Oakland county not specific cities, sorry.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And there is a difference???
Libertarians tend to be mostly pro-choice, pro-gay marriage. Not very socially conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan