Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:11 PM

44 posts, read 46,714 times

Advertisements

So, after 2 years of begging and pleading, we are finally moving this summer My husband's job will involve lots of local travel, (between Lansing, Detroit, Ann Arbor, and Flint) but will be based at home. His family is all over the metro Detroit area. His main wish is central location, easy access to highways. I'm antisocial, so the more rural, the better. We're thinking Howell, due to his sister living there, and its central location, and small population. However, it seems pretty conservative, and that worries me. We are not conservative people, we don't go to church, we aren't strict parents, we're pretty live and let live. Our daughters have a very diverse group of friends, including black, Hispanic, and gay friends. They dress how they want, and are very open minded young ladies. Do you think people in Howell will accept us? Are there any more diverse areas that are semi rural, with easy freeway access, where people won't look askance at my girls for being different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 03:48 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,292,447 times
I'm not sure what makes black, Hispanic or gay any better/different than Jewish, Arabic or Mennonite. Do we get brownie points if there is a friend with pigtails and red hair? Bonus if an autistic albino friend is included to maximize your hipness.

Howell will be suit you just fine.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:35 AM

145 posts, read 851,320 times
My stepson lives in Howell and they are happy there.
The kids love it.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:31 AM

44 posts, read 46,714 times
Wow, rude much? I was just using some examples of the diversity of their group of friends. They do in fact have Jewish and Arabic friends, along with Asian, Native American, one with aspergers, and yes, even a red headed one although I've never seen her in pigtails. No Mennonite or albino that I'm aware of.
I didn't know having a diverse group of friends made us hip. I have heard some things lately about how conservative Howell was, and I'm a bit worried about how people might react if my daughters date guys of different races, or join gay/straight alliance at school. I don't think being all white is a bad thing, or even that being conservative is a bad thing, unless people aren't accepting of differences.
My husband's family has never had any problems there, it seems like a nice town, but we're all white, so maybe they aren't aware of what could be going on.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:43 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,518,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getmeouttacali View Post
Wow, rude much? I was just using some examples of the diversity of their group of friends. They do in fact have Jewish and Arabic friends, along with Asian, Native American, one with aspergers, and yes, even a red headed one although I've never seen her in pigtails. No Mennonite or albino that I'm aware of.
I didn't know having a diverse group of friends made us hip. I have heard some things lately about how conservative Howell was, and I'm a bit worried about how people might react if my daughters date guys of different races, or join gay/straight alliance at school. I don't think being all white is a bad thing, or even that being conservative is a bad thing, unless people aren't accepting of differences.
My husband's family has never had any problems there, it seems like a nice town, but we're all white, so maybe they aren't aware of what could be going on.
Your family will be fine in Howell in terms of acceptance. Honestly, I don't know of anywhere in the region that has a major problem with accepting those with diverse faiths/beliefs/races.

If a liberal enclave is what you are looking for I would recommend Ann Arbor.

Best of luck with your move!

Old 04-02-2014, 02:12 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,896,417 times
Arthur, I really wish I could agree with you here. Perhaps Howell would be fine for the OP; I don't know. But most certainly, some communities are more accepting of diversity than others.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:03 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,518,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Arthur, I really wish I could agree with you here. Perhaps Howell would be fine for the OP; I don't know. But most certainly, some communities are more accepting of diversity than others.
I suppose there are some outliers. I know Grosse Pointe still has some serious discrimination issues. But other than that, I can't think of any areas that have had problems in the past 10 years or so. Can you?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:31 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,896,417 times
There are subtle things, that send your kid home from school crying...hateful words that you can tell they heard at home. It came as a shock to me, as I very much wanted to believe the real estate agent who stridently reassured me that "this isn't a problem in modern days." I wasn't used to hearing such things at all! I don't know enough about all of the small cities to make any blanket statements, but recommend a rental for someone who needs to find out exactly what they are dealing with.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:43 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,674,155 times
If you can afford it, live in Ann Arbor! Howell, Brighton, most towns outside of Flint . . . still somewhat conservative, although nothing like it was when I lived in Michigan.

While probably bullies won't make your kids cry in Howell, it's not a highly diverse area, and a lot of people like it that way, even if they don't say so in public. Ann Arbor has a much more liberal cultural vibe.

And for the record, I am conservative and left A2 as soon as I could.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:03 PM

70 posts, read 132,939 times
Moved to Michigan 5 years ago from Los Angeles.

In my opinion, Rochester/Rochester Hills is the greatest place in the country to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan