Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 05:00 AM

1 posts, read 14,027 times

Advertisements

Would like to know what it's like to live in Holland. I'm a stay-at-home mom with 2 kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 05:19 AM

810 posts, read 3,305,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrowitskyf View Post
Would like to know what it's like to live in Holland. I'm a stay-at-home mom with 2 kids.
Where do you live now? Holland is a conservative town. There are recent threads on Holland not too long ago...check it out here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/michi...need-help.html

If you have any more questions, post away!

Old 10-30-2006, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 30,064 times
Talking Holland, MI

I spent my first 9 years in St. Joe and my sister lived in Holland for about 9 years. Hope you like "klomping", the dutch shoe dance. The tulip festival is beautiful if the weather doesn't spoil the blooms. Lots of Lake Michigan, very big and very cold but the sunsets are incredible. Saugatuck is an incredible city up the road. Lots of shops. Used to be an artist's enclave. In the summer there are lots of yachts to ogle at.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 13,995 times
Thumbs up Holland

Hi, I have been a resident of Holland for over 13 years now. It is absolutly a beautiful place to raise a family. You have your choice of private or public schools. I have an 8year old boy and a 2year old daughter, so education is very important to me. Yes, we are Tulip City! We have the beautiful lakefront. My father also told me the other day that Holland Mi was on a list being one 10 most places to live in the COUNTRY!! Being we have a low crime rate, good school systems, conservative, family oriented, and clean city. I love it here in Holland

P.S.
and Holland is NOT a cold place. the weather here in the summers is very comfortable (did get hot this summer), and actually we had a very, very, very, light winter last year.

P.s.s
oh and a lot of nice churches!!

Old 02-03-2007, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 13,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrowitskyf View Post
My search brought up your inquiry.....because I am also a stay-at-home mom with 2 kids, liking to know what it is like to live in Holland! Do you have any thing that you could share with me, I would appreciate even the smallest bits info!

Old 02-03-2007, 11:25 PM

20 posts, read 103,221 times
Not to sound like a racist, but hasnt Holland recently become home to a large number of hispanics? Like 1/3rd of the population?

Old 02-05-2007, 07:48 AM

4 posts, read 33,641 times
I grew up in Holland and lived there for many years. Holland is a much larger area than many people think. The townships (Holland, Park, etc...) are pretty good sized. Even though the town is around 35 to 40 thousand people, once you include the near by townships you add an extra 20 thousand. I would not recomend living in the city. Holland Schools are not that highly recomended. You may want to look at near by towns of Zeeland and Hudsonville for schools. The lake is a definite draw to Holland, sometimes you just take it for granted. The downtown area has really been cleaned up over the years. There are some great restraunts and little stores to go into. In the winter they actually have hot water running under the downtown roads to that they are always clear of ice and snow. As far as shopping, Westshore Mall is horrible, but you can drive to a great mall in Grandville in about 15 or 20 minutes. Holland is also close to Grand Haven and Saugatuck which are fun places to go on the water.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:31 PM

26,463 posts, read 15,053,236 times
I just got a job less than a year ago in Holland. I commute from about 35 minutes away so that I can live near a large nature preserve. Holland is an alright city and has its ups and downs. I just didn't want to live near the place as I wanted to be surrounded by nature. The commute is killing me and I am thinking of relocating near Saugatuck State Park or getting a job out of state unfortunately.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:41 PM

6 posts, read 33,292 times
Holland is a great place. Then again I'm from Jackson so I envy any city in Mich. at this point. But seriously Holland is very very nice.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:55 PM

33 posts, read 121,089 times
Default Schools not that bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
I grew up in Holland and lived there for many years. Holland is a much larger area than many people think. The townships (Holland, Park, etc...) are pretty good sized. Even though the town is around 35 to 40 thousand people, once you include the near by townships you add an extra 20 thousand. I would not recomend living in the city. Holland Schools are not that highly recomended. You may want to look at near by towns of Zeeland and Hudsonville for schools. The lake is a definite draw to Holland, sometimes you just take it for granted. The downtown area has really been cleaned up over the years. There are some great restraunts and little stores to go into. In the winter they actually have hot water running under the downtown roads to that they are always clear of ice and snow. As far as shopping, Westshore Mall is horrible, but you can drive to a great mall in Grandville in about 15 or 20 minutes. Holland is also close to Grand Haven and Saugatuck which are fun places to go on the water.
I know many teachers who teach for Holland Public and they send their kids to Holland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan