Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 07:51 AM

4 posts, read 43,998 times

Advertisements

I am from the Muskegon County area and had filled out the questionnaire a while back before I moved, and this morning I was informed I got a letter saying I have Jury Duty in March. I moved to North Carolina around two months ago, and I still have my old address as this was just a temporary move, but I will be here until at least August. I called the country clerk and told the woman I was no longer in Michigan and she said to have my mother fill out the paperwork saying I had moved and list my new address and they would take me off. My vehicle is registered and insured out of Michigan still and my mom thinks that will be a problem, I was just wondering is she right? Will there be an issue with being dismissed from this Jury Duty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 07:54 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
The Clerk told you exactly what to do so it is probably best that you follow those directions.
If you are out of state it is obvious you will not be able to attend jury duty until you return to Michigan.
People make temporary moves all the time for school, jobs, winter living, etc.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 AM

Thank you for your quick response! That's what I tried telling my mom over the phone, but she always seems to find flaws in the plan.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:16 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
I had been called for jury duty in Wayne County 6 times in 7 years. The last time was 2009 when I moved to NC. I simply wrote RETURN TO SENDER addressee moved...

BUT since you called the clerk, best to do as they suggested. I would however think about getting a NC license and forwarding a copy to the clerk. The driver's license will be the real proof of current residency.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 02-27-2014 at 08:32 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 08:47 AM

I didn't really want to get a new driver's license since I knew I wasn't staying here for a long period of time, less than a year even. I have a job here so I figure if they need proof of residence I can send a check stub, or something of the sort.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:20 AM

That might work. Unless you get stopped in a check point and the troopers are looking at driver's licenses. They will ask how long you have been in NC and why are you there. Be prepared to say you just got in a week ago and that you are visiting--have the name and address of someone who lives in NC in case the trooper wants to check.

Tell them you are working, the trooper will probably write a ticket for invalid license. Tell the trooper you have been there more than 30 days--probably a ticket..

NC loves to write tickets.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the advice! I've noticed there's quite a few cops out here, I guess I really didn't think about that, but I will definitely use that advice should I ever get pulled over out here.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:43 PM

They typically set checkpoints at odd times and in out of the way locations where there is a low possibility of locals traveling and higher probability of transplants. I had been stopped at a check point at 5:00 A.M in the middle of no where around Clayton. Again I hit a check point in Western Harnett County at 7:00 P.M as I was leaving a Food Lion on Buffalo Lake Road in Spout Springs. A woman I was working with, her daughter got stopped at a checkpoint and and told the trooper she had been in NC for 45 days and she immediately was given a ticket for invalid license. Fortunately, she really was just visiting and it only cost her $50 for a lawyer to represent her...

Old 02-27-2014, 04:47 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
That might work. Unless you get stopped in a check point and the troopers are looking at driver's licenses. They will ask how long you have been in NC and why are you there. Be prepared to say you just got in a week ago and that you are visiting--have the name and address of someone who lives in NC in case the trooper wants to check.

Tell them you are working, the trooper will probably write a ticket for invalid license. Tell the trooper you have been there more than 30 days--probably a ticket..

NC loves to write tickets.

TRUTH!!!

I lived in NC for 3 yrs and I took about 6 mths to change my plate and license over.

I was stopped at a check point and told them I was visiting my friend and only there for a short time. They will ask how long you've been in NC in some way that will make most people fumble, and then they are in a position to write a ticket. The out of state ticket is EXPENSIVE.

The other excuse is that you're only there attending school, but you better have a school ID to prove it.

My ex husband was busted for a minor auto accident in his work truck and was still carrying a MI license. He told the trooper that he was "just a contract worker" and only there for a month's time to skate out of the ticket.

Ok, back to your original issue.

This happened to my ex husband almost right after we moved out of MI in 2007. He provided a letter of employment offer in OH and simply explained he has not been able to change his license over to OH as of that time due to needing specific documents from gov't bodies that he was waiting on for the change of residency ( copy of birth certificate in his case). The clerk allowed him a "1 time out of jury duty" voucher he could use in order to not have to attend, and that wrapped up the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan