Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 04:27 PM

3 posts, read 29,203 times

Advertisements

I am a freelance writer in the process of researching what I expect will one day be a biography of Chuck Hughes, a former professional football player with the Philadelphia Eagles (1967-'69) and Detroit Lions (1970-'71).

As many here are probably aware, Mr. Hughes, while playing for the Lions, collapsed and died on the field of Tiger Stadium during the final moments of a game against the Chicago Bears on October 24, 1971.

A couple of years back, I decided the time had long since passed to find out more about Mr. Hughes and have spent the last two years researching his life and death. To this point, I have completed more than 150 interviews - Alex Karras, Lem Barney, Joe Schmidt, Chuck Knox, Kent Falb, Rockne Freitas, Greg Landry, Wayne Walker, Ed Flanagan, Charlie Sanders, Wayne Rasmussen, Errol Mann, Tom Vaughn, Nick Eddy, Greg Barton, Bob Kowalkowski, Herman Weaver, Steve Owens, Terry Miller, Bill Cottrell, Larry Hand and John Wright, among the most notable Lions on that list. I have also had conversations with former Lions' public relations executive Elliott Trumbull and former Detroit News sportswriter Jerry Green. (I am still trying to get an interview with William Clay Ford, Sr., although I have my doubts that will actually happen.)

During a conversation with Steve Sabol a few months back, an idea was planted in my head that I realize now I need 'special help' with to complete. Mr. Sabol and his staff in New Jersey have been extremely helpful and provided me all their footage shot that altogether horrible day (most of which has never been made public or viewed by anyone outside their organization). One of the things I am always struck by as I review these images are the expressions on the faces in the crowd as Mr. Hughes is rushed from the playing field. It's a tapestry of confusion, anguish and despair.

If at all possible, before too much more time passes, I would like to document some of that.

That being said, one of the perspectives I've been thinking about trying to add to this manuscript are the recollections of 'every-day' fans - perhaps a dozen or so - who were in Tiger Stadium that day and witnessed this event first-hand. I attempted to enlist the help of Mike O'Hara of the Detroit News in this endeavor – perhaps mentioning this project in one of his 'Behind The Scenes' columns – but his disinterest in taking part was overwhelming. (I didn't even bother trying the Free Press, figuring their response would be similar.)

That is why I am here today.

Long story short: perhaps someone who posts on these boards was in Tiger Stadium the day Chuck Hughes died - or knows of someone who was there. If so, I would love to hear their story for possible inclusion in my book. (Of course, I would have to be certain of their attendance at the game.)

So, please ... if you were at the game, or you know someone who was, please let me know. I obviously can't guarantee anything - but I would certainly like to include some of these stories in my manuscript.

Thank you, in advance ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 19,436 times
Default Chuck Hughes

I was not at the game you mentioned but I was watching it on TV while attending UTEP - Chuck's alma mater. I am sure you already know that Chuck still has some NCAA records that still stand. Did you contact players from UTEP or Texas Western that knew him? I know of a number of them. I also know that there is an 8x10 glossy (unfortunately) of Chuck lying on the field with Dick Butkis in the picture. This picture is signed by Dick. The intimation is that Butkis has just "laid the guy out." I know Chuck's widow is still alive and has commented about him online. Knowing the complete Chuck Hughes and writing a book is not possible without including his Texas high school and college roots.
Tony

Old 12-30-2007, 08:11 AM

Default Been there ... done that

Tony:

Thanks for the note.

Rest easy. I've talked to probably twenty-five of Chuck's former teammates at Texas Western ... if not more than that. Bob Wallace. Billy Stevens. Mark Yarbrough. Curt Parsons. Jim Morgan. Dave Karns. Dick Weeks. Ron Bostwick. Larry Durham. Stan Blythe. Jerry Tucker. Jerry Roach. Fred Carr. Don Leveridge. Steve Lewicki. Les Munjas. The sons and daughter of Bobby Dobbs. Former assistant coach Bill Michael. Not to mention the widow of George Daney and former girlfriend of Chuck Anderson. Even Don Haskins and Eddie Mullens. The same goes for Chuck's high school teammates and coaches in Breckenridge and Abilene - talked to virtually everyone I can possibly locate in two years's time.

Also ... I'm happy to say that I consider Chuck's widow, Sharon, a close friend. Along with the rest of his family - the last time I saw them was at a Hughes family reunion just outside Dallas just after the fourth of July.

No worries - this book will be the definitive biography of Chuck Hughes. My business here was to simply collect interviews for the section related to his passing. Fortunately, I was able to garner about a dozen on another Detroit board.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 19,436 times
Default Congrats

By the names you have mentioned you certainly seem to have done Chuck justice by your thoroughnes due to who you havespoken to. Some of the people listed I have not seen in years as I live in Denver now, not Texas. Is there a working title for your book and a target publishing date? Or do I look for just anything by "The Bad Guy"? Best of luck on your venture and I look forward to reading it once it is in print. Go Miners!
Tony

Old 01-03-2008, 05:27 PM

Default I'll be happy to fill you in on most of that, Tony ...

Send me an E-mail at JeffHaag@mcleodusa.net.

Thanks for the note ...

Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 9,425 times
Default Uncle Chuck

I am Chuck's niece and just want to say THANK YOU for the interest in him. We were listening to the game on the radio that day and my mom (his sister) was devastated hearing the news during the game

Old 06-22-2008, 02:17 AM

1 posts, read 9,306 times
SCOOP3362:

I was at the game when Chuck died and I was 8-years old at the time of this tragedy. To date, I have never seen anything like this and I had nightmares when it happened thus, I had to sleep in my parents bed that night. I was at the game when Mike Utley was paralyzed and Reggie Brown suffered a career ending, and when Jerry Ball was nailed by a chop block that led the NFL to create a rule banning them. If there is anything that can come out of Hughes' death, at least he died doing what he enjoyed doing and that's playing football. I'm glad that ESPN wasn't created then because this is something that many people wouldn't want to see. I hope the Hughes family is doing fine. Feel free to e-mail me at detroitlion33@aol.com if I can assist you futher.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:14 PM

6 posts, read 26,026 times
Alex Karras - Mongo like candy!

(cheap bump for ya)

Old 07-17-2008, 12:32 PM

26 posts, read 107,016 times
I was 13 years old in 1971 and remember Chuck Hughes' death just like it was yesterday. It was hard to believe then and today that such a young and healthy young man could simply collapse and die on a football field.

Chuck's death seemed to be the first of many terrible calamities to befall my beloved Detroit Lions. They have suffered so much. First it was Chuck, then all the injuries, Utley, Barry Sanders, Coach McCafferty's death, etc.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,987 times
Default Wish I knew him

Great job keeping Chuck's memory alive! I was 12 years old and living in Livermore California when I saw the picture of him on the ground near the goal posts in the local newspaper. It was my first experience witnessing someone's untimely passing. I was very disturbed by it. I hope they make a movie of this. He deserves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan