Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:45 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,078,221 times

Advertisements

Look at this-Pictured Rocks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 10:01 AM

9 posts, read 16,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
OMG, I know! lol- Marquette is up on Lake Superior- you will be looking out at that lake, and swear you're looking at the ocean! Pictured Rocks is up close to there as well (look it up on google...gorgeous!), and the woods and everything else, it really is beautiful- I remember telling people I knew in CA that Northern Michigan and the U.P. reminded me of Tahoe without the mountains, lol-

Before we moved here, I looked it up on google maps too- it looked different because the pictures were a few years old- I would get on there on street view and literally 'drive' up and down the streets- try to get on the road that looks out over Superior- I really do think you'll love it there, it is just peaceful- and it's a college town, since you guys are young, I really do think you'll love it!
Thank you for everything! So you would say that the town looks a lot better than on google? I do the same thing with going up and down the streets!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 AM

104 posts, read 241,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pricilla90 View Post
Thank you for everything! So you would say that the town looks a lot better than on google? I do the same thing with going up and down the streets!
This is very relative to your perception. I think that most everything in Michigan besides some newer neighborhoods (built after 1995 or so) tends to feel very aged. When I have lived/ been out of the region, it usually feels like those places are newer. It might be a little different than what you are used to, but I think that it would be a mistake to take that as negligence/ poverty.

Just my opinion though, I am sure other people probably see things differently.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:30 AM

493 posts, read 1,448,122 times
It's a temptation. I just looked at some homes for sale, three of them bordering Swartz Creek Golf Course in what I believe is the Miller Road Mansions. Homes that I could only dream of living in, and all for $425,000 or less.

Wonder how safe this area is? It's still in Flint proper.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:28 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,078,221 times
Quote:
I'm in Iron Mountain, which is around ....80 miles (?) from Marquette- and that was my experience- looked rougher on google maps than it did when I got here- one thing, though- you will find streets to be a bit different than in CA- in CA, the roads are all smooth for the most part, not so in Michigan- I attribute it to huge seasonal weather changes, and it all does have a different feel- but it really is a wonderful place-!

Old 03-30-2014, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,436 times
Default no worries

I am originally from the UP (Houghton Area) and my daughter and son-in-law live in Marquette.
You will be readily accepted.
Learn to love winter activities

Old 04-01-2014, 02:00 AM

123 posts, read 296,013 times
Quote:
Thank you so much! That makes me feel so much better! I have been using Google street view to try and get a feel of the town and to see where to live but quite honestly it doesn't look like that nice of a place. It is scaring me a little. Every house I see looks like the people don't keep up with yard work or try to make their house look appealing at all. The whole town looks a little run down and not the nicest place.
Marquette looks nice to those who are from the UP. Keep in mind that median incomes in the UP are much lower than most of the metropolitan USA, and the climate is far different, so peoples houses and yards aren't going to look as polished as a SoCal neighborhood with $500,000 houses. Even if the crime rate is lower than a given SoCal neighborhood.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:56 PM

10 posts, read 13,247 times
Northern has a good rep as a nursing school since I was college age (1980). It isn't Malibu, but you're there to get an RN, yes? Don't worry about the Finlanders, they're harmless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan