Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 09:09 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times

Advertisements

I've seen exactly 2 of the Massasauga Rattlers over the years. They are out there, but do a good job in keeping away from people. Both times I have seen them is when they were crossing a body of water and I came across them in a boat. Never seen one for sure in the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 04:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
"I've seen exactly 2 of the Massasauga Rattlers over the years. They are out there, but do a good job in keeping away from people. Both times I have seen them is when they were crossing a body of water and I came across them in a boat. Never seen one for sure in the woods."

Are you sure that those were not milk snakes? I thought that I saw a rattle snake several times as a kid and they always turned out to be mile snakes. They look very similar. Massasaguas are endangered in many states. I have never heard of anyone actually seeign one outside of captivity.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:52 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Well U2Girl, we had snow on the ground yesterday and now it's gone. But here on the radar (as of Friday morning) you can see lake effect snow bands hitting the lakeshore area:

WOODTV.com & WOOD TV8 - Grand Rapids news, weather, sports and video - Animated Loop of Live Doppler Network

Old 11-23-2007, 06:46 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Are you sure that those were not milk snakes? I thought that I saw a rattle snake several times as a kid and they always turned out to be mile snakes. They look very similar. Massasaguas are endangered in many states. I have never heard of anyone actually seeign one outside of captivity.

Positive! Came close enough to both to count rattles on the tail, and being raised out in the country I made sure I could identify every snake I might have ran across. Yes I was a bit anal as a kid about things like that, what can I say?

Old 12-02-2007, 06:37 PM

6 posts, read 16,971 times
All of you were such great help! Thanks for the many helpful responses. We arrived last Sunday so this was our first full weekend for exploring. Since we live in East G.R we hit Gaslight and tried several of the little restaurants. The lebanese restaurant is really yummy! We have been out furniture shopping and discovered Klingmans(sp?) We still need to find a few more pieces for our home. I think we are going to the exhibit at the Meijer Garden next weekend.
Someone mentioned hiking after a nice snowfall, where are good places for hiking? Also when does the outdoor ice skating rink open?

Thanks

Old 12-02-2007, 08:59 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2gurl View Post
All of you were such great help! Thanks for the many helpful responses. We arrived last Sunday so this was our first full weekend for exploring. Since we live in East G.R we hit Gaslight and tried several of the little restaurants. The lebanese restaurant is really yummy! We have been out furniture shopping and discovered Klingmans(sp?) We still need to find a few more pieces for our home. I think we are going to the exhibit at the Meijer Garden next weekend.
Someone mentioned hiking after a nice snowfall, where are good places for hiking? Also when does the outdoor ice skating rink open?

Thanks
Since you live in East Grand Rapids, you can hike the Reeds Lake Trail:

http://www.eastgr.org/files/Reeds%20...rail%20Map.pdf

One of my kids just asked me about the ice skating rink at Rosa Parks Circle (downtown GR) and when that opens. I'll have to find out. When I do, I'll post it here.

BTW: The weather we got this weekend is NOT standard fare for winter weather around here. It's usually either rain or snow, not a mix of both.

edit: The ice skating rink opens Dec. 7th, weather permitting:

City of Grand Rapids - Rosa Parks Circle Ice Rink (http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=465 - broken link)

Old 12-17-2007, 06:05 PM

8 posts, read 21,319 times
Hi U2Gurl,

I use to live in San Antonio. Like many folks I moved there when I joined the Air Force. I lived there 1 year after leaving my term. I loved San Antonio.

You will like GR. It is really a booming city, lots of growth, and opportunity. Plus it is not far from the water.

You will get the hang of driving on snow. It is not that big of a deal any longer now that most cars are FWD. My wife and I have considered moving to GR from Canton because the job market is so much better and to be closer to the water.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:08 PM

22 posts, read 58,342 times
Driving in the snow - drive slow - avoid slamming on your brakes if you slide - just let up off of the gas. I've never experienced a shut down in my life (30 years). Sadly you get used to it. I just shoveled 9 inches of snow out of my driveway this past Sunday so I could get to work on time.

If you move to the Grand Rapids/Kentwood/Byron Center area - try Resurrection Life Church.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:38 AM

504 posts, read 2,175,820 times
Default my $0.02

Hi there,

I grew up in Louisiana, and lived in Southern Oregon before moving here.

I think most folks here don't understand that summer down South can be equally, if not more oppressive than winters here. I'd take wood heat any day over electric air conditioning. We live in NE LP Mich, and I love the winters. Yes, it's new to me, but it'll be new to you too. I think it's a blast, and after moving here, I would never even consider living in a place that didn't get snow. I love the way it slows you down. People here see that as a hinderance, but it is a very healthy thing, I think, to be forced to stay in for a few days when it's really nasty. There are more quilt stores here than anywhere I've lived, which I LOVE. You can use your oven all year round to bake and cook. I love being in front of a roaring fire, and still enjoy moving chopping stacking firewood. It's a forced excercise too, and we all know we ned more of that (warms ya twice).

One bad thing about being from the South in Michigan though is all the typical stereotypes people here believe about Southerners. Maybe the 2 of us will help educate them.

The schools here are great, healthcare is affordable(I should say cheaper.. none of us can afford health care anymore) and plentiful, the Great Lakes, expecially the beaches, are incredible. One thing that really shocked us though is the cost to drive a car here, with the no-fault-insurance thing. Registration here is $$$ too.

I second (or 3rd) getting good tires for your car, and slowing down. We bought a car in New Orleans last Spring, and it did fine until snow hit, then it slid all over the place. One good all-season set fo tires later though, and it's done fine. It's not even 4 wheel drive. It's (shhh) a hybrid. Quite honestly, they do a great job keeping the roads maintained here, despite what everyone says. I was also very nervous and relativly inexperienced at winter driving last winter, and did fine. It's all flat here, which is better than out West, where you slid off a cliff if you got onto ice.

Winter takes a certain preparation... have back-up heat source, (although we never have lost power for more than an hour or 2, and only once or twice in the lsat year), and plenty of non-perishable food stocked up. Good winter clothes are critical... good coat, boots, socks, etc. These days there are so many choices. Plus, you get to actually wear sweaters here! I love it!

Enjoy!

Old 12-21-2007, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,020 times
I totaly disagree with winters are easier than heat. You can go outside when the sun goes down, when the sun goes down up in north MI it gets colder and colder. and all you want to do is crall under a blanket and sleep till spring.
I have lived in both places and heard all the arguments, people that say I can always put on more threads are either mentaly unbalanced or the misary loves company type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan