Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 885 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm looking to move back to Michigan and would love your opinions. I was born and raised in Kalamazoo and moved to Ohio for college (I know I know, but it wasn't OSU or near it, so don't run yet haha). I've since graduated with two bachelor's degrees (psychology and social work) and a master's (social work), but haven't had luck finding employment in Northwest Ohio. I very recently got out of a very unhealthy relationship, so I want a new start. I've been finding myself pining for Michigan a lot lately, so I figured it's a great choice. However, I don't want to move back to Kalamazoo; I'd like someplace new.

I'm a 26 year old single female, so someplace safe is preferred. Preferably not a party town - I like my sleep I have to eat gluten free, so I'd need access to a health food store or farmer's markets. I love the outdoors and actually appreciate the changing weather in Michigan, so that's not a problem. Someplace with trails nearby would be ideal. I need a place with interesting stuff to do - I currently live in a very small town with no attractions. I like visiting museums, crafting, and having the option to shop local, rather than big box stores. Having only a couple bars isn't my idea of where to go all the time (don't get me wrong - I love a night out, but a girl needs other options too!). I'd prefer to keep my commute to work under an hour, but I'll take what I can get!

So there are my demands Having access to food I can eat is the most important, along with employment. Cities and towns known for partying are way at the bottom (aka, if all there is to do is drink, I don't want to live there. Where I live now is turning into that and it is extremely boring!) So I'm asking for advice on places to live/not live, as well as any social work tips! I need to transfer my license from Ohio to Michigan and I'm discovering it is quite different!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 12:42 PM

915 posts, read 1,506,506 times
Yeah, I totally understand not wanting to move back to Kalamazoo!

I grew up there too and while it's a nice place, it's not everyone's ideal of a "forever" place.

I'd definitely look around Metro Detroit/Lansing/Ann Arbor.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:34 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,022,305 times
Lansing has a college social scene, but the grown up, professional adult social scene is pretty quiet. There are a few clubs, a few meet up groups, but Lansing in itself offers very little. Honestly, Bowling Green, OH or Toledo have more of a social presence than Lansing - we can't even get small venue concerts, the bands hit GR, Flint, Kzoo or Toledo, but I digress. The job market in Lansing is also hit and miss.

I personally would focus more on Grand Rapids or Ann Arbor areas for an overall better vibe and more job opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan