Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:32 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmyhalo View Post
What are the streets that I should avoid?
In the city? Pretty much all of them. College Cultural is about the only area left that I'd feel comfortable living in within the city limits. Maybe downtown apartments/lofts. Maybe. There are some people working to restore Carriage Town.

You can definitely rent for that amount in a much safer area. I lived in an apartment in Davison and went to UofM Flint. I was on campus in under 15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:48 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,342 times
Quote:
What are the streets that I should avoid? I have been looking on craigslist at apartments and houses to rent to at least get up there and get settled then perhaps look for a house if we like it enough to stay.
I drove around lots of areas (safe ones) in Flint while visiting the in-laws, and I can't think of too many safe places within the city limits to rent an apartment. Maybe one of the apartments in the former Durant Hotel or one of the lofts downtown.

Not sure what rents are like in Grand Blanc or other suburbs, but that would be my choice.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:37 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
What are the streets that I should avoid? I have been looking on craigslist at apartments and houses to rent to at least get up there and get settled then perhaps look for a house if we like it enough to stay.

Budget would keep us within about 700/800 a month for rent and I am keeping my job through my current employer and will work from home. It looks there are tons of places available for that amount (really wasnt expecting that)

And what the heck is this water affidavit? water is included in most rentals here in Buffalo so that one puzzles me a bit.

Is it really much worse than Buffalo to the person that commented moving there from Buffalo?

Ive tried to be brutally honest with my finance about what Flint is like (even 10 years ago when I lived there) but I have a feeling he is going to be in for a shock when we move. I know I was when I first moved there! I will never forget the gun shots for New Years Eve.

Thank you everyone for all your responses... I really appreciate them!
Again I agree with the others who say if you're going to rent, don't bother with Flint. There are plenty of apartment complexes in the city that will very easily suit your budget but none of them are particularly nice - mostly older, in iffy areas, no secure parking. Look at Padmapper.com for apartments in Grand Blanc, Davison, Swartz Creek, Flushing, etc. Traffic isn't a concern in Genesee county, you can get clear from one end of the county, top to bottom (eg Clio to Fenton) in 45 minutes.

Flint isn't unrelentingly awful and does have some decent amenities and activities and I did not mind living there, but that doesn't mean you have to live in Flint to enjoy them. Especially if your fiance isn't familiar with the city. Rent outside the city somewhere "nice", then decide where to live in the longer term once you're settled in a bit. If you're urban pioneer types, you may end up wanting to live in Flint!

I don't know what a water affidavit is, I suppose you could call up the water dept or apartments and find out. I do know Flint's water rates shot up a year or so ago, but I no longer live in the city and not sure what the deal is.

Feel free to sent me a direct message with questions about specific areas or properties. I've lived in three cities in the county and my work takes me from one end to the other (sometimes working on rental properties) so I am quite familiar with the area.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:55 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Parts of Flint are nice, but when you continually go past boarded up houses, closed down businesses and all the rest of the blight...it eventually wears your soul down.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:48 AM

89 posts, read 194,295 times
Quote:
If you have to live in the city limits of Flint, for work reason or any other reason's, I would honestly avoid anything North of UM-Flint and Kettering. That whole Clio Rd, Pasadena Ave area is known as being some of the worst in Flint (trust me, surrounding area is not good either). Stick to Downtown (this is your best bet), Carriage Town and maybe just a little West and East on Court Street. West on Court, I wouldn't go any more West than Chevy in the Hole. East you are generally fine between Mott Community College and the Cultural Center area just North.

This being said, I would still recommend not living in the city of Flint. Before you move, check the crime map. If you can at all see the place before you rent, I would do that. If I had to live in Flint, I would avoid apartment complex's. Best bet is a loft downtown, or a house in a decent area (just make sure it has been rented recently and has all the copper and metal). Best of luck.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:06 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,863,765 times
To the OP-
All I can say is that when I drove through parts of Flint I was upset at how extremely run down and deserted the area was. I was shocked by it, really. I'm no expert on the Flint area as a whole. In all honesty, though, I never saw any part of Buffalo that looked that haunted and neglected.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:56 PM

27 posts, read 118,500 times
About to move to the general area with my fiance too. She will be working in Flint while I am still in the process of finding a job (argh). There is a chance that I might also end up at a facility in Flint. Since we're moving from NYC, we're thinking of just living closer to EL or on the other direction (Troy, Birmingham, FH). From the map, it looks like a 45 minute commute. Is this accurate? If we stay in those areas it provides a more active environment with EL and Detroit respectively.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:40 PM

Balmoral-

Living in Flint, to East Lansing is a little more than 45 minutes. Depending where you are in East Lansing. Problem with EL is you could hit a lot of stop lights, traffic signs, etc. If you leave during rush hour, you could hit traffic in the Lansing area. Flint doesn't have much traffic.

I work in Flint, but live in Auburn Hills, and my commute ranges from 40-45 minutes. Troy, Birmingham, and Farmington Hills are close by. I live close to the Troy boarder, so you are probably looking at about 45 minutes to Flint, maybe a little longer. Birmingham will be longer. I would count on at least 50 minutes, but more than likely 55-60. The problem with Birmingham is no direct highway runs through it (for the good and bad). It's a great area, but you have to figure out what is worth sacrificing if you want to live there. We are planning on moving to Rochester when our current lease ends, which is also going to be lengthy, but we both think it's worth it.

Farmington Hills, you probably are looking at the same as Birmingham, to Flint. Coming from NYC, I'm sure you are used to a lengthy commute, but I would peg the FH drive at least 55 minutes. Maybe look at Novi too, might not look like much, but it could help. Biggest problem for you in FH will be the 275/696 area, traffic can back up quickly there. FH to EL will be over an hour.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:23 AM

27 posts, read 118,500 times
Thanks for the feedback cmuguy25! I was offered a job in EL so I think we're going to see what's in between (at least now we can limit the areas to search). My job will be at the border or EL and Haslett near the 69 so I think stop lights/signs shouldn't be too bad if we stay in that area, right? I've been told from Haslett the drive to Flint can even border 30 min on a good day?

Thank you for your detailed feedback as it was quite helpful!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:53 AM

If you are near the boarder of EL and Haslett, close to 69, you should have a shorter commute. On a good day, you can get to Flint under 40 minutes (if not better). It depends on how fast you drive, haha. Honestly, traffic on 69 East to Flint is minimal, that will not be an issue. Congratulations on the offer, best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan