Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 03:41 AM

6 posts, read 6,858 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit of a research nut but there's info I can't get online about TC and I'm still planning a trip up. Wondering if any locals can answer some questions.

Neighborhoods - which are the areas that I should steer clear of, if any. Every town has at least one. I've sort of figured out what apartment complexes to steer clear of even though not all of them have websites. But some look rather decent and I'm not sure of the area. I've only found one comment that Garfield wasn't the best place. I'm assuming they mean the township.

Pedestrians and Bikes - I've found that people up north really love to be outside. (my whole reason for moving up) And I've figured out that caution needs to be taken during peak tourist season. But in general, is it really that easy to get anywhere on a bike? Google maps photos might not be the most current but some of the roads don't seem the best to be riding on. Looks like 31 and Airport Rd should be avoided.

Single mid 40s female would be moving up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 06:24 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels62 View Post
I'm a bit of a research nut but there's info I can't get online about TC and I'm still planning a trip up. Wondering if any locals can answer some questions.

Neighborhoods - which are the areas that I should steer clear of, if any. Every town has at least one. I've sort of figured out what apartment complexes to steer clear of even though not all of them have websites. But some look rather decent and I'm not sure of the area. I've only found one comment that Garfield wasn't the best place. I'm assuming they mean the township.

Pedestrians and Bikes - I've found that people up north really love to be outside. (my whole reason for moving up) And I've figured out that caution needs to be taken during peak tourist season. But in general, is it really that easy to get anywhere on a bike? Google maps photos might not be the most current but some of the roads don't seem the best to be riding on. Looks like 31 and Airport Rd should be avoided.

Single mid 40s female would be moving up.
I do not think there are any neighborhoods that are real scary, but there are a few that seem a bit more run down...but nothing like Flint, Sag. or Detroit thats for sure. We just move up near TC also, an we are LOVING it! I am certainly no expert yet...but since no one else has answered, I just thought I would let you know what I have experienced. As far as biking, I think it would be much easier to get around when the tourist season is over because it is pretty heavily congested...and people do drive rather crazy. I would never attempt to ride a bike on Airport Rd. or 31 There is quite a few network of trails, and of course you are right....we live up here to be outside!!
TART Trails, Inc. | Traverse City, Traverse Area Recreation and Transportation Trails Inc., Building Healthy Communities

Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to find an apartment at least close enough to the trails to use them. I love to ride my bike and that is just logically the safest place to ride. I suppose if the buses accommodate bikes I could take a short ride on one of those if I had to, but it would be nice to just go out my front door and ride. It just seems like rent is a little more reasonable just south of the airport and that also makes me wary of the neighborhood.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 PM

265 posts, read 801,425 times
Some of the main roads can be quite busy in summer but nothing compared to other cities. Pretty much any city/town in Northern Michigan is very safe and there isn't a place where I don't feel comfortable or safe.

Many bike trails in TC and in the nearby areas. You'll love riding your bike here.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:35 PM

63 posts, read 129,269 times
If you are going to be on a bike you do not want to live south of the airport. Crossing South Airport road can be a killer, literally. I saw someone get hit on South Airport and it wasn't pretty.
If you are a bike enthusiast and don't want to spend a lot, find something on or near 8th street between Garfield and Union street. Or in the neighborhoods north of the area above, or on Front between Grandview parkway and Park.
I've rented in all of those areas many many years ago. All were safe and easy to get to and from on a bike.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:39 PM

63 posts, read 129,269 times
Jewels, i just saw your "Single mid 40s female would be moving up" tag line. You are going to be BORED OUT OF YOUR MIND here. Trust me on this. I am a married mid 40 male and my wife and I are going nuts here because there is nothing to do!
I'll take a lot of flak for the previous statement, but I'll stand by it. You can PM me through the forums for more info.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:07 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBass View Post
Jewels, i just saw your "Single mid 40s female would be moving up" tag line. You are going to be BORED OUT OF YOUR MIND here. Trust me on this. I am a married mid 40 male and my wife and I are going nuts here because there is nothing to do!
I'll take a lot of flak for the previous statement, but I'll stand by it. You can PM me through the forums for more info.
Lol...I think it depends on what you like to do. We love the out-of-doors...so in that aspect there is PLENTY to do. If you want big city... concrete jungle, excitement around every bend...then no, TC is not for you.

Last edited by michmoldman; 08-14-2013 at 05:18 AM..

Old 08-15-2013, 03:01 AM

Thanks for the info of the neighborhood/street for places to look. I will keep those in mind. I hope something is available when it's time to make the move. Main goal is to be close enough to the trails that I can get to them safely.

It's a little hard for me to be bored. I'm very much looking forward to a quiet area to live in where taking a walk or a bike ride is what I'm looking forward to that day. I have a feeling when I get ready to buy I will be just far enough away from town that the tourist season doesn't bother me so much but I can get down into the thick of it easily when I want to.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:58 PM

391 posts, read 906,592 times
jewels, the main problem you'll have moving up to TC, particularly if you want to live in the city itself, will be findind someplace to rent. There's huge demand, especially in the close in neighborhoods where you can bike to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan