Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 11:25 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,600,704 times

Advertisements

Computer science continues to be listed as one of the best careers in the United States in many news articles and surveys. But they seldom break it down into the necessary subfields. A lot of tech jobs wind up outsourced, or rely purely on contract work which can often be unreliable.

So let me pose this question to you, fellow posters: Which computer subfields are in demand in Michigan?

Meaning, what area of work can a student or hobbyist reasonably expect to enter with relative ease in Michigan? Some fields may be booming, but perhaps only in Silicon Valley. Some can be telecommute (web design/development, I imagine) but would be mostly independent contract work and unreliable.

I don't work in the industry, but have an interest in it. I would assume that database management, systems administrators, and low level programmers and security fields are probably the most in demand in Michigan. Anyone have any detailed input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,600,704 times
Slow few days here around the forums, I guess. Anyway, I've done some searching on my own and thought I'd report in that I do in fact see a lot of jobs that require some knowledge of relational databases in Michigan. Not an outright job title but it's an in-demand skill.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:06 PM

47 posts, read 43,773 times
Jobs in the medical field. If you have the combination of health sciences and computer science, it can be really good for working in the IT department of a hospital.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:15 AM

915 posts, read 1,514,718 times
Programmers are usually outsourced these days.

System Admin/Network Admin/Security are really in demand.

(You don't need health sciences to get a networking job at a medical facility. My husband worked for one of the local dentistry franchises and I think he took one natural science class during undergrad. They are more interested in your computer skills and your ability to keep things confidential, especially with HIPPA, than having knowledge in health care. Another guy I know also works for one of the hospitals as some sort of computer admin and he's strictly a computer guy too.)

A lot of companies do "temp-to-hire" even for Network/Security admins. My husband went through that a few times and eventually got hired in. High dollar white collar contract has *a lot* better benefits than generic admin contract work. It's really comparing apples to oranges.

For your situation, it depends on your experience and what certifications you have. You aren't just going to jump into a Network/Systems Admin job w/o a degree or tech certifications. Interviews are part "normal" - where do you see yourself in 5 years, but also "tech-based" and you will be asked to problem-solve different scenarios. If you don't have your CCNA or CCNP, then you need to work on getting those first because a lot of employers won't look at your resume w/out certifications these days. And if you want to move up the ladder, then you'll need your college degree.

The 10 best IT certifications: 2012 | TechRepublic

Usually people enter the field doing "help desk". Then, they move up (and around) as they get certifications and gain experience.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:06 PM

893 posts, read 1,211,808 times
IBM opened an office in East Lansing in 2009 and has been hiring entry level programmers (mainly straight out of Michigan State) for the past 4 years. I heard they are hiring as many as 125 new programmers by the end of 2013, so look into that.

I think if you search for "IBM Developer" and specify East Lansing as the city on the job sites (indeed, dice, monster, etc.) many of the positions will come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: