Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm wondering if the Traverse City area is welcoming to new retirees. I know that there are plenty of year-round retirees living in the TC area, but I'm wondering if it's a reasonably friendly area in general. Any thoughts from those residing there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 AM

167 posts, read 470,104 times
Hard to answer when you do not provide any information about your self and/or what you are looking for.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwein View Post
Hard to answer when you do not provide any information about your self and/or what you are looking for.
Good point. Sorry to be vague. If I decide to retire there, I'd be looking for ways to get involved in the community and perhaps volunteer, and I would expect to utilize the public library frequently as well as the senior center, downtown activities, attend festivals, etc. I'm in my early-mid-60's and an active retiree. I think my question is really about how people in a smaller town/city welcome newcomers. I know TC is a tourist area and I have visited many times, but visiting is different than living there full time. Staying in a hotel and going to the cherry festival or film festival is always fun, but mostly I was interacting with other tourists. Vacationing for several weeks is a good way to get the know an area in some ways, but input from those who retired there is helpful too.

My experience in Minnesota a few years ago was "interesting" in this regard. I was thinking possibly of retiring there and moved out there in 2009 to work on a project for an old prof from grad school. However, after the project was over, I was still in a one-year lease, so I started sub teaching in area schools as a part-time job and as a way to meet people. People I was working with would literally ask me, "Why are you here in Minneapolis?" There was a perpetual sense of being an outsider, even though I was working in the same school nearly every day for several months. I would tell them that I went to grad school there, that I had moved there for a project and was considering retiring there, etc., but it didn't seem very welcoming to have a lot of questions about "why are you here?" I moved back to SE Michigan after the one year lease was up, for several reasons, not the least of which was the incredible traffic congestion, blight in the center city, and high cost of living.

Anyway, after that experience, I'm interested in learning what I can from others who might live in the TC area as a retiree. TC is on my short list of options for retirement.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
I think they might ask you that same "why are you here" in Traverse City but maybe it's not really to be rude but because they would wonder why you went there. There are quite a few people who moved from SE or SW Michigan to Traverse City so it's not as though there wouldn't be plenty of other transplants to associate with if you didn't hit it off with the natives. For some people if you didn't go to one of the local high schools, you're always going to be a bit of an outsider - but really you shouldn't let that stop you.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 PM

36 posts, read 73,675 times
We moved here from Minnesota a year ago and the community is so much more friendly and welcoming than Minnesota (I love Minnesota but it isn't very welcoming for newcomers.) We aren't retirees, but love it here.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellinginmn View Post
We moved here from Minnesota a year ago and the community is so much more friendly and welcoming than Minnesota (I love Minnesota but it isn't very welcoming for newcomers.) We aren't retirees, but love it here.
Good to hear you like TC! I like MN too, it's a great state, but like you, I didn't feel welcomed. Maybe the large urban area is part of it, but in any case, over on the MN forum, there have been discussions of the "MN freeze." I'm pretty outgoing, so I was surprised to be met with so many questions about "why was I there." It's funny, because retirees move all around the country to retire, for all kinds of reasons, and even if you move somewhere just because it's a nice place, that should be enough of a reason. Why would any newcomer need to explain themselves to locals? Anyway, if I end up in TC I'll at least be able to say I lived in MI for over 25 years!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:34 PM

211 posts, read 587,894 times
Not a retiree but have lived in TC all my life. Volunteering is a great way to introduce yourself. TC has a very active volunteer community. Some places to consider volunteering would be Dennos Museum, Munson Hospital through the Munson Auxiliary, Old Mission and Leelanau Conservancies, area watershed council, TC public Library, the museum in the old public library, local schools, athletic club boosters, all of the normal service organizations, TC Rotary club, the VASA. SCORE, TC Film Festival, Cherry Festival Ambassadors, the list goes on and on and they are all great ways to meet people. If you play bridge, there are several local bridge clubs that are always looking for members. Chances are if you have a hobby or interest, there is a local group already established, from wood turners, to gardeners to square dancers.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswee View Post
Not a retiree but have lived in TC all my life. Volunteering is a great way to introduce yourself. TC has a very active volunteer community. Some places to consider volunteering would be Dennos Museum, Munson Hospital through the Munson Auxiliary, Old Mission and Leelanau Conservancies, area watershed council, TC public Library, the museum in the old public library, local schools, athletic club boosters, all of the normal service organizations, TC Rotary club, the VASA. SCORE, TC Film Festival, Cherry Festival Ambassadors, the list goes on and on and they are all great ways to meet people. If you play bridge, there are several local bridge clubs that are always looking for members. Chances are if you have a hobby or interest, there is a local group already established, from wood turners, to gardeners to square dancers.
Wow! That's very encouraging and one of the great things about the area. I went to volunteermatch.org and found a lot of good ideas for volunteering in many areas I'm considering. Your list is much longer, and I appreciate the suggestions. I do plan to volunteer and I have several hobbies.

I have to make some phone calls to find out how hard it would be to find a doctor who will take new medicare patients, which is an increasing problem. My worry about TC in that regard, is that it's a smaller city. Munson is highly regarded, but are there primary docs willing to take new Medicare patients? I'll have to make some calls and see what I can learn.

I also have to check out rentals, and see what might be affordable, safe and a nice place, maybe within walking distance to downtown, though that might not be possible to find.

And I bleed blue, so I'll have to get a sense of how progressive TC is. I don't expect it to be Boston, but hopefully there is somewhat of a liberal vibe, or at least a mix of political viewpoints.

Thanks again for the suggestions. TC is really a beautiful part of the state.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 AM

211 posts, read 587,894 times
Grand Traverse County is generally a red area, inside Traverse City itself, though, there is certainly a fairly strong and vocal progressive element. Very strong support for the arts and cultural enrichment, the environment, active locavore movement, organic farming, downtown definitely has a micro-urban vibe.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswee View Post
Grand Traverse County is generally a red area, inside Traverse City itself, though, there is certainly a fairly strong and vocal progressive element. Very strong support for the arts and cultural enrichment, the environment, active locavore movement, organic farming, downtown definitely has a micro-urban vibe.
Good to know. Yes, I have seen the maps of Michigan after the 2012 election by county, and the northern part of the state is mostly red, but am glad to learn that TC has some progressives and that some of the urban folks are involved with issues that I support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan