Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,130 times

Advertisements

I have an Australian group coming into town for business relatively soon. It is to my understanding that this stay will overlap with Australia Day, which is a Founders Day for Australia. Does anybody know of an Australian themed restaurant/ pub or any place to take them? And please do not suggest Outback Steakhouse. Open for suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,280,165 times
Where in Michigan are you?

Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,595,552 times
I was unaware there were any Australian restaurants OTHER than Outback, haha. Very cool of you to take their celebration into consideration, but it might be a difficult task.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,114,415 times
Y'all could still do the pub crawl.....of course you can do that anywhere.

Aussies are fairly receptive with other cultures......maybe you can do something Michigany...?

Pasties, ice fishing, cross country skiing, and if the Red Wings are on the ice, etc.

Coney dogs!

Last edited by YAZ; 01-10-2013 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,947,772 times
Could this guy be a resource? He gigs around Michigan and the world.
Blues and a didgeridoo?: Australia-raised, Michigan-based bluesman Harper to play Kalamazoo | MLive.com

Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,763,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Y'all could still do the pub crawl.....of course you can do that anywhere.

Aussies are fairly receptive with other cultures......maybe you can do something Michigany...?

Pasties, ice fishing, cross country skiing, and if the Red Wings are on the ice, etc.

Coney dogs!
Well we have the Red Wings now, but no snow or ice

Old 01-11-2013, 12:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,963,134 times
At the Detroit zoo they have a safari area where you can walk through and Kangaroos wallabys and some other things are out in the enclosure with you. THey also have some old broken things laying around to make it look like Austrailia. Get a couple of cases of beer, some lawn chairs and go hang out there for the day.

Show them a rusted out car. I had an Aussie friend visit many many years ago. He got out of my car, studied the fenders for a while, turn to me and said "Your car. . . uhh.. . its fading away. . .. . wtf I have never seen anyhting like that. After I explained salt and rust to him he spent probably half an hour looking at and touchnig every hole or bubble. Then I showed him the missing floorboards, he was shocked. Probably still talks about it.

"Thrity years ago I visited me china plate, a toilet tank in Michigan, and parts of his car were just kind of melting like ice scream. it was so odd."

Aussies, or at least this one, had an odd habit of using rhyming words for slang. He said it was common practice in Syydney. China plate rhymes with mate and toilet tank rhymes with Yank. At least in his circiles friends are china plates and Americans are toilet tanks. Pretty ridiculous to me, but using salt on raods and causing cars to "fade away" was really absurd to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: