Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 04:30 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,276,588 times

Advertisements

One of the worst things for the Michigan environment is to have another no snow winter like last year. It's really quite devastating.
I have over 20 miles to drive to work on all back roads and lots of hills, so when it snows, I leave earlier and drive careful. Simple. I also find it fun driving in the snow and ice, though more in snow than on ice.
Damn, one of the reasons I moved back to MI from Alaska was for the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 04:39 PM

860 posts, read 2,060,203 times
Alaska misses you, Nephler.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 PM

Thank you Gramma

Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 PM

21,220 posts, read 19,840,420 times
A repeat of last winter will be just fine by me.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:35 PM

364 posts, read 879,244 times
A mild Thanksgiving DOES NOT mean a repeat of last winter! Yes, Thanksgiving temperatures are forecast to be well-above normal...but the month of November is actually running somewhat COLDER than normal in lower MI, nowhere near last November. To be fair, we were quite due for a mild, light snowfall winter (at least in the southern half of lower MI) last year, after seeing WELL above normal snow the previous 4 years. It was a winter snow-lovers want to forget, so lets forget it! There are plenty of signs already that show a repeat of last winter is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY (just to name a few, above average North American snowcover in October, and extensive cold building in Canada currently). The whole "6 months of winter" bit has always been an exaggeration. Most of MI will go 6 months from the seasons first flake of snow to the last flake of snow, and the any given location in the state will go from 6-8 months from first to last freeze, but that doesnt mean the entire time between is full-blown winter. Now, a lack of snowcover in late-November is a little more uncommon in the U.P. (though certainly not unheard of) but actually it is common in most of lower MI. Winter is quickly approaching folks, it won't be long!

Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 AM

The long range outlook has been changed again. This was posted this past Monday.

ClimateWatch Magazine » Updating the U.S. Winter Outlook for 2012-13

Old 11-21-2012, 09:58 AM

Location: Michigan BAY-BEH!!(Texan by birth, Michigander by choice!!)
183 posts, read 289,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
One of the worst things for the Michigan environment is to have another no snow winter like last year. It's really quite devastating.
I have over 20 miles to drive to work on all back roads and lots of hills, so when it snows, I leave earlier and drive careful. Simple. I also find it fun driving in the snow and ice, though more in snow than on ice.
Damn, one of the reasons I moved back to MI from Alaska was for the snow.

I agree 100%!! If you don't like the snow.. guess what... there are about 30 other states that would gladly help you out. I moved here from Texas BECAUSE of the snow... and the milder summers... I am becoming TERRIBLY disappointed. The first year I lived here was PERFECT... let's go back to that!

Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,916,411 times
I hate to tell you people who hate snow, but Michigan depends on the snow for tourism and our lakes. Lakes Michigan and Huron are almost 25" below what they should be, and without snow the tourism industry in the snow areas can cause some businesses to go under. I know it sucks driving in it, but I have been driving in Michigan winters all my 46 years, and if you just be careful there should be no problems.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,330,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I hate to tell you people who hate snow, but Michigan depends on the snow for tourism and our lakes. Lakes Michigan and Huron are almost 25" below what they should be, and without snow the tourism industry in the snow areas can cause some businesses to go under. I know it sucks driving in it, but I have been driving in Michigan winters all my 46 years, and if you just be careful there should be no problems.
Well, I never said I hated snow...just that driving in it at night on the expressway can be a harrowing experience. It's not that I'm not careful. I'm the one driving 35 or less mph in the right lane when there are 2-3" of snow accumulating on the highway and it's treacherous. It's the idiots doing 65 and fishtailing down the road that freak me out. Spin yourself out by driving recklessly for the road conditions, not my problem. Spin out and take me out with you and BIG problem!

No, living in Arizona briefly a few years ago cured me of hating snow. I realized then that I need to be somewhere with four seasons. It's just the sharing the snowy and icy roads with people who drive like it's 75 degrees and sunny that I hate.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:46 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,331,198 times
Thumbs up Environmental factors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
A repeat of last winter will be just fine by me.
aside...I agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan