Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,951,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Yeah... I was the one who challenged you on the statement that Marquette got more sunshine than Grand Rapids. You were definitely correct, and I was incorrect. I made the mistake of posting my opinion first and looking up the facts later.

I think I apologized for it at the time.

As for this debate about TC vs Marquette, I don't think it is very productive. Both places are bright spots in this state, and places that we should be proud of. I personally like Marquette just a tad more, but I would be happy to live in either.

Darstar, I think people get upset with you because you are very aggressive when saying that Marquette is great and anyplace in "troll land" is terrible. I think you get people very riled up when you do that. There are lots of nice places in this state, both in the UP and LP.
Thank you for your comments. Yes, I do have a way of letting Upper Michigan pride get in the way of all those who are down state. Its not meant to harm, no more so than rooting for your favorite Hockey team, which up here can get quite serious. The bottom line for me, what I am overall trying to say, is Upper Michigan is a different place, nothing like the other land below at all. Sorry to all if that comes off as obnoxious and other comments. I like it so, its hard to contain the emotions..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 11:33 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,907,043 times
Yup...its a no brainer Marquette gets more sunny days. The mostly West...cold winds off the (relatively) warm waters of Lake Michigan of course produce the clouds for GR, and with Lake Superior being North of Marquette, they will get more days of sun.
Michigan83 is right...both cities do Michigan very proud, and there should be no arguments on which is better.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:33 PM

128 posts, read 323,403 times
You would be absolutely stupid to pick Marquette over Traverse City. Traverse City is where everybody wants to go that visits northern Michigan. Marquette is far from everywhere. The UP is nice to visit a couple weekends in the summer (or in my case none because I've already been up there vacationing the last few years), but living up there is a whole different story, theres just nothing there, at least with Traverse City you have Lake Michigan beaches, Lake Superior is cold year round and not a destination vacation.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy9981 View Post
You would be absolutely stupid to pick Marquette over Traverse City. Traverse City is where everybody wants to go that visits northern Michigan. Marquette is far from everywhere. The UP is nice to visit a couple weekends in the summer (or in my case none because I've already been up there vacationing the last few years), but living up there is a whole different story, theres just nothing there, at least with Traverse City you have Lake Michigan beaches, Lake Superior is cold year round and not a destination vacation.
Traverse City with its amenities is the "large city" of the northern LP.
The UP is great for the "intrepid explorer" but it needed a similar city, and Marquette is it.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:11 PM

82 posts, read 300,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Yeah... I was the one who challenged you on the statement that Marquette got more sunshine than Grand Rapids. You were definitely correct, and I was incorrect. I made the mistake of posting my opinion first and looking up the facts later.

I think I apologized for it at the time.

As for this debate about TC vs Marquette, I don't think it is very productive. Both places are bright spots in this state, and places that we should be proud of. I personally like Marquette just a tad more, but I would be happy to live in either.

Darstar, I think people get upset with you because you are very aggressive when saying that Marquette is great and anyplace in "troll land" is terrible. I think you get people very riled up when you do that. There are lots of nice places in this state, both in the UP and LP.

See, I thought I was the one who challenged darstar and his hubris. Maybe not. Only I wasn't challenging Marquette vs GR, I was more challenging his statement that Marquette is the "land of sunshine" or a "sunshine paradise" or some such.

You definitely got it figured out with the last paragraph. For me, it is less about dumping on the LP and more about his/her grandiose (read: delusional) view of Marquette. I mean, Marquette is anything and everything to this guy/gal. It's Paris, Chicago, Key West and Switzerland all rolled into one. But only the good aspects of those places.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy9981 View Post
Yes , you are right, fact is, I think we are all booked up. please go elsewhere.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Granger View Post
See, I thought I was the one who challenged darstar and his hubris. Maybe not. Only I wasn't challenging Marquette vs GR, I was more challenging his statement that Marquette is the "land of sunshine" or a "sunshine paradise" or some such.

You definitely got it figured out with the last paragraph. For me, it is less about dumping on the LP and more about his/her grandiose (read: delusional) view of Marquette. I mean, Marquette is anything and everything to this guy/gal. It's Paris, Chicago, Key West and Switzerland all rolled into one. But only the good aspects of those places.
When you get your stories straight as to who and when then come back and discuss the comparison. No one " dumped on the LP" that I know of...You need to learn what people say, not just gloss over an other person's message, twist it around to confuse someone.You are beginning to sound like a right wing talker .. You are a predisposed one track minded person, thats the worst kind, those with no facts, just lots of blow hard talk. Remember ( after you have settled down) the person , the OP, wanted too know about both places, I did not start this thread ! Further, I have been to all those places you name, no one would compare any of them to the UP under any conditions. Fact is, many folks that live here DO spend their winter vacation in Paris.We have a very busy travel agency, and yes, they buy a round trip ticket..

Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,611,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Granger View Post

LOL... we both had similar arguments with Darstar at different times. I was definitely wrong about Marquette vs. Grand Rapids, just for the record. Not trying to get that debate started again.

Here is mine:
Michigan Weather

Here is yours:
Michigan or Wisconsin?

Old 11-15-2012, 06:57 PM

615 posts, read 1,393,004 times
Marquette is a nice small city with much to say for it, the huge presence of NMU not only boosts the economy, but produces a population with more diverse attitudes than one would expect of a town of its size isolated as it is.

I would not complain about the summer weather in either MQT or TC. Humidity is rarely uncomfortable in either.

Most people would dismiss both both cities immediately when it comes to winter weather, but I would say Marquette's is a little rougher than TC. There used to be a joke in the UP that you car came from one of the big three - GM, Ford or Subaru (not so many Subarus there anymore, don't know why). If you actually like a lot of snow, go with Marquette.

The other difference I see between Marquette and TC is that TC has transformed over the past 40 years. It's less like a city, and more like a tourist trap, though it still does not look like Pigeon Forge. Marquette is still a "real" city.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Marquette is a nice small city with much to say for it, the huge presence of NMU not only boosts the economy, but produces a population with more diverse attitudes than one would expect of a town of its size isolated as it is.

I would not complain about the summer weather in either MQT or TC. Humidity is rarely uncomfortable in either.

Most people would dismiss both both cities immediately when it comes to winter weather, but I would say Marquette's is a little rougher than TC. There used to be a joke in the UP that you car came from one of the big three - GM, Ford or Subaru (not so many Subarus there anymore, don't know why). If you actually like a lot of snow, go with Marquette.

The other difference I see between Marquette and TC is that TC has transformed over the past 40 years. It's less like a city, and more like a tourist trap, though it still does not look like Pigeon Forge. Marquette is still a "real" city.
The Subaru is still king up here. They say there are more Subaru here than any other single place in the world ! (don't quote me on that) There are 2 shops that specialize in repair . The rice burners are lined up 2 deep almost every day.What has changed is the All wheel drive from almost every make around town. I am one of them, just took delivery of a Mini Cooper Countryman All4. I ordered a set of Finish Nokian snows. They are selling lots of Nokian's in Marquette. Yet, there are lots of folks that get by with standard tires and no 4x4. My driveway is very steep 4x4 is a must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan