Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Michigan Have the Death Penalty
YES!!! 18 46.15%
NO!!! 21 53.85%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:58 PM

73,187 posts, read 62,892,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
No brainer...if a person doesn't value life, they don't deserve it. Going to prison is not a punishment, nor a deterent.
The death penalty will not deter those persons either. Yes, it will be a punishment, but so will prison. Alot of people who don't value life fear being locked away for the rest of their lives more than the death penalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 PM

615 posts, read 1,396,296 times
Contrary to popular belief, Michigan does have the death penalty, with a different method of executing the sentence: death by time. You sit in a cell, being reminded of what you did, until you die!

IIRC, Early in Michigan's history, a man was executed, and it was found soon after the sentence was carried out, that the condemned man had been innocent. An angry public declared one of the first states in the western world with no death penalty (today, many other countries consider the USA to be backward as it still has executions).

I would not like to see this historic tradition broken (though lord, I really do know, some total jerks out there have done things that test my own opinion on this issue!)

Old 10-14-2012, 09:20 PM

This is what I would see as a good punishment for murderers. Obviously, life in prison with no possibility for parole. However, the prisons should be modeled differently, and have prisons specifically for murderers. I would look at Black Dolphin Prison.

Russia's Toughest Prisons PART 1 4 YouTube - YouTube

Old 10-15-2012, 06:48 PM

850 posts, read 1,903,396 times
When I hear stories like the Mt. Morris guy who raped his 6 month old child, and the other couple who didn't want anyone to know they had a daughter, and kept her prisoner in a crib and her own sh*t for years, feeding her only a pop tart once in awhile, I think maybe we should have it.

It might not be a deterrent, but at least it will get rid of these people and not keep them cared for under tax payers money.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
When I hear stories like the Mt. Morris guy who raped his 6 month old child, and the other couple who didn't want anyone to know they had a daughter, and kept her prisoner in a crib and her own sh*t for years, feeding her only a pop tart once in awhile, I think maybe we should have it.

It might not be a deterrent, but at least it will get rid of these people and not keep them cared for under tax payers money.
Even if it were to get rid of that individual, how do we as a society deter crime?

Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,146,330 times
No , it does little to deter crime and the States that have it don't use it enough anyway. it costs a fortune to get an inmate in the chamber or on the gurney with all the appeals. The lawyers win, the inmate wins for a long time and the taxpayer loses.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 AM

850 posts, read 1,903,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Even if it were to get rid of that individual, how do we as a society deter crime?
This just seems so obvious to me, it starts with unwanted babies, the breakdown of families, and the most important thing in existence: the child/mother bond. When there is no child/mother bond (please don't have a kid if you don't know what this is) you start to get all kinds of issues. Whether it be slightly difficult emotional issues to violence and self destruction. Then add public schooling into the mix, the media, too much technology, garbage for food and what do you get? Unhappy people who are completely out of touch with their feelings and act out on these feelings in terrible ways.

Society and politicians seem so out of touch with this, instead they think putting kids in school longer, taking more tests, giving more welfare, eliminating abortion, having 40 kids in a classroom and depleting teacher benefits, while they collect ridiculous benefits that we can't afford and are completely unsustainable, is the answer. (Threw in both sides for ya....as they are both hamsters spinning on a wheel). How about prevention? Has anyone turned on their tv and saw the kind of parenting that exists? When will we learn how d*mn important it is to be a good parent? Which doesn't involve shipping our kids off to strangers to 'teach' them at age 3.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
No , it does little to deter crime and the States that have it don't use it enough anyway. it costs a fortune to get an inmate in the chamber or on the gurney with all the appeals. The lawyers win, the inmate wins for a long time and the taxpayer loses.
I propose this solution.

Set up prisoners specifically for murderers and rapists, then privatize those prisons. No more problem for the taxpayer.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
This just seems so obvious to me, it starts with unwanted babies, the breakdown of families, and the most important thing in existence: the child/mother bond. When there is no child/mother bond (please don't have a kid if you don't know what this is) you start to get all kinds of issues. Whether it be slightly difficult emotional issues to violence and self destruction. Then add public schooling into the mix, the media, too much technology, garbage for food and what do you get? Unhappy people who are completely out of touch with their feelings and act out on these feelings in terrible ways.

Society and politicians seem so out of touch with this, instead they think putting kids in school longer, taking more tests, giving more welfare, eliminating abortion, having 40 kids in a classroom and depleting teacher benefits, while they collect ridiculous benefits that we can't afford and are completely unsustainable, is the answer. (Threw in both sides for ya....as they are both hamsters spinning on a wheel). How about prevention? Has anyone turned on their tv and saw the kind of parenting that exists? When will we learn how d*mn important it is to be a good parent? Which doesn't involve shipping our kids off to strangers to 'teach' them at age 3.
Don't forget about the father/child bond as well. Alot of people who commit murder didn't grow up with their father in their lives. There has been a breakdown in society in so many ways. That needs to be addressed.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:18 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,098,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I propose this solution.

Set up prisoners specifically for murderers and rapists, then privatize those prisons. No more problem for the taxpayer.
I'm not sure private companies are willing to hold those prisoners. Most private prisons have lower grade prisoners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan