Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:12 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I see many posts on this forum where people say they felt unwelcome in their new home town because they were from California or Florida, Arizona wherever etc. There is also a thread asking about the attitudes toward people from New England. It hit me this morning while reading about how unfriendly Grand Rapids is. Where are these people? I don't personally know anyone who judges someone else or looks down on them in any way because they moved here from another state. You hear about this all the time. These nasty unfriendly people who discriminate against the outsiders. But I can honestly say in my 45 years on this earth I have never seen it first hand directed toward anyone or heard anyone, and I mean ANYONE say to me. " you know I really hate them there outsiders, they got no right comin here tuh Michigan, takin our jobs, filling our schools" I'm sure there are some people like this, but do you know anyone personally in your life that thinks this way?
I've certainly met people like that, with insular attitudes that don't necessarily want their community to change. But they're not unique to Michigan, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 11:34 PM

19 posts, read 35,018 times
In general I'd say Michiganders are a somewhat friendly bunch. Being that we are such a melting pot around Detroit I have seen some pretty strong opinions of varying races and ethnicities. And on the East Side, where I grew up, you'll encounter a good bit of derision about people from any type of perceived educated/wealthy state, such as Massachusetts.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:11 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,794 times
Well, I've lived in different parts of MI (down state, up north), but I'll tell you what; since we moved to the U.P. I have never met a friendlier bunch of people in my life- just...very kind, unbelievable. As an example, and this just threw me- I was turning from the street into my husband's workplace, and there were maybe two or three cars coming in the opposite direction. A car stopped and waved me through, and I was so tickled by that. Who does that?? People don't flip you off and lay on the horn when you make what they perceive to be a driving error, instead they smile, and yell out their window, "sorry!"--

I love the U.P., lol

Old 10-25-2012, 06:21 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
Well, I've lived in different parts of MI (down state, up north), but I'll tell you what; since we moved to the U.P. I have never met a friendlier bunch of people in my life- just...very kind, unbelievable. As an example, and this just threw me- I was turning from the street into my husband's workplace, and there were maybe two or three cars coming in the opposite direction. A car stopped and waved me through, and I was so tickled by that. Who does that?? People don't flip you off and lay on the horn when you make what they perceive to be a driving error, instead they smile, and yell out their window, "sorry!"--

I love the U.P., lol
One of the first times we went to the U.P we kinda got lost, and my wife saw someone in their driveway next to their car, and she said lets stop and ask them for directions. I was kinda hesitant about just pulling into someones drive, but they were more then happy to point us in the right direction. After we make the move to TC, I know in the future we will ultimately end up in the U.P. until we die.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,812 times
I came to Michigan originally as a foreign exchange student about 12 years ago now. When I got back to Poland I told everyone that people in the United States are so friendly. Basing this on people I had met in Northern Michigan, strangers greeting you with a “good morning” or “Hello” while in passing. After moving here permanently 10 years ago I have traveled throughout the United States and am thankful I live in such a friendly area. Traverse City Home Search

Old 10-31-2012, 03:16 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
There's no way that is the norm in Grand Rapids. I grew up in Grand Rapids and it still remains one of the friendliest cities I've lived in.

My guess is that most of the people who complain about those kind of things haven't even been to Grand Rapids.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
What a wonderful thread!
I grew up in the Milwaukee area and moved to South Florida almost 18 years ago.
As I'm sure you're aware, this is the land of plastic surgery and rude behavior.

This thread has just been heart warming to read.
Thanks all!
I need to get back to the midwest!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:06 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
What a wonderful thread!
I grew up in the Milwaukee area and moved to South Florida almost 18 years ago.
As I'm sure you're aware, this is the land of plastic surgery and rude behavior.

This thread has just been heart warming to read.
Thanks all!
I need to get back to the midwest!
You sound like my parents who gave Florida a try some years ago. Their comments were along these same lines. I remember my dad saying people seemed so artificial down there (not all I'm sure). They couldn't wait to get back to good old Michigan.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,794 times
After living my entire life on the west coast, I positively fell in love with all of Michigan when I married my husband, who is a Michigander- all I keep thinking is, "omg....how is it that I never KNEW about this place before???"

Michigan is, hands-down, awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan