Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:42 AM

2 posts, read 92,116 times

Advertisements

What are the average utility bills in Metro Detroit Michigan for a 2-3 bedroom house?

Electricity, Gas, Water etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 05:45 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
It is going to depend on--

Total square footage

Age of house

Type of windows

And preferred temperature.

How many people are in the house.

BUT, all things be equal, a typical gas / electric bill for a 1400 square foot 3 bedroom 1.5 bath wood frame construction and 2 people will probably have a bill around $150--200? Dead of Winter and the height of summer may be higher--depending on temp setting.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 AM

809 posts, read 1,949,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
It is going to depend on--

Total square footage

Age of house

Type of windows

And preferred temperature.

How many people are in the house.

BUT, all things be equal, a typical gas / electric bill for a 1400 square foot 3 bedroom 1.5 bath wood frame construction and 2 people will probably have a bill around $150--200? Dead of Winter and the height of summer may be higher--depending on temp setting.
Wind makes a difference

How many times people go in and out the doors

It really is jam packed with variables.

Further north up here on the 45th parallel, we have paid upwards of 500.00 per month just for the propane alone to heat a 1800sqft ranch with plenty of insulation. Our challenge was the home being on a hill getting blasted in the west winds even though the home was by design without windows on the west end and gables pointed toward the west for least exposure.

After two winters I installed a nice pellet stove and never used the furnace again.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Small town fifty miles from Detroit:

Family of four, keep our house at 73 degrees year round, house is 1800 SF with 4 beds, 2.5 baths, and good insulation. Our highest ever electric bill was in the summer with the A/C running pretty much continuously because we live in a newer subdivision with no mature trees so we get full sun all day long, and it was around $300 for a month. We have natural gas forced air heat and our highest ever gas bill was in the winter when the temps ran in the teens and twenties and was around $300 for a month. During the summer, our gas bill is never over $75/month, and during the winter our electric bill is never over $100/month.

Avoid buying a house with propane heat. As the pp pointed out, propane is extremely expensive as compared to natural gas.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:34 PM

55 posts, read 283,524 times
I'm living in a 3 bedroom 2 bath mobile home right now. Last winter it was running about $175-$250 for gas and electric. During the summer around $40

Old 09-20-2012, 06:42 PM

111 posts, read 345,969 times
It's not utilities that get me, it's the car insurance.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 87,055 times
I live in Section 42 Housing Jackson, Michigan. Here is the rub. The tenants never gets an actual water bill. Flat rate/BS. I have a one bedroom, with no washer /dryer. I do not shampoo the rugs. Yet, I am at 31.00 for water !! Yes, I called pm (property management/conserve). All I got was that I was lower than the normal usage. In fact, be grateful the bill is not higher. I called the Jackson water dept. (as they are on the bill). I was told this complex generates 10 bill's. per month. That means each buildging has a bulk bill. Not individual bills per apartment. NO actual usage read. So, 16 apartment divide by number of tenants per blding = the individual tenants bill. What erks me it the LIE. Property management, will not own up to this math. The differment with MSHDA is like 98.00 per month. This off sets market rent. So, that difference (break on rent) is suppose to help cover utility cost's. Well, 98.00 minus a whopping 31.00 for water, is a joke !!! So, I guess I will have to go to a MSHDA board meeting, in Lansing, to get the ah moment !!

Last edited by Laura Piascik; 01-25-2017 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-25-2017, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 87,055 times
Oh, I forgot to mention. That I asked for an "adjustment" on the monthly water bill. Did not get it. Instead, 4 other tenants did receive an adjustment on their water bill. Three live in my building. What is so sad is that there is a disparity of treatment, in this complex. You Must be liked by management to get anything done !! Move, no. I am 5 minutes away from my daughter's job. And, she is my lifeline. I am legally disabled and no longer drive. Sucks. Very low income, the poorest of the poor. Also, there is a pool (when open) it helps with my 6 types of arthritis. But, all in all : NO pity party here !! I am scared to death that Trump will screw up the social security, for the elderly. In 2016 no increase (cost of living) yet rent went up. In 2017, 2 to 3 dollars which is then taken by medicare. UNREAL. So what do you think about the water bill? I have to formulate a "come back" answer to present to the "office" and MSHDA. The actual bill have three parties listed: conserve charges 3 dollars to prepare bill , Jackson water provide "flat rate" and Blackman twp charges for the "sewer". Looks like a sweetheart deal for them. On a side note, it seems to be commonplace not to mention the water bill until after you sign on the dotted line. I have listened to many tenants to say this without any prompting regarding...oh buy the way you pay water. Thank you, for reading.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:56 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
I feel $31/month is a pretty low number.
Granted I have a washer, but mine usually runs around $50-60 and I am a single person. But I also work 12 hour shifts and commute 3 hours. So I am never home.
My mom's runs about $120 per month and it is just her and my stepdad.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:49 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
Just a point the rates for natural gas and electricity are set by the Michigan Public Service Commission.
It goes without saying the rates are not the same as your consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan