Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:26 AM

935 posts, read 3,452,998 times

Advertisements

I'm taking my first vacation in 10 years. I booked a cabin in the middle of nowhere in Leelanau for early October and plan to do photography in the area. I know that the lake levels are very low right now and I'm concerned that the fall colors will also be a bust.

If you are from the area, how is the drought affecting the countryside? I am hoping that my trip won't be a bust with the trees all bare by the time I arrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,912,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
I'm taking my first vacation in 10 years. I booked a cabin in the middle of nowhere in Leelanau for early October and plan to do photography in the area. I know that the lake levels are very low right now and I'm concerned that the fall colors will also be a bust.

If you are from the area, how is the drought affecting the countryside? I am hoping that my trip won't be a bust with the trees all bare by the time I arrive.
I think most of Michigan has gotten some pretty decent rains lately. I dont live up that way, but I watch the weather and radar all the time, and I know they have been getting some much needed rain also. Was it enough to save the fall colors?? 50-50 chance on that one, but if we get more over the next few weeks, I think we will have pretty decent color everywhere.
That is an extremely beautiful area!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,616,308 times
Quote:

Leelanau County is technically not in a drought at all. It is considered "abnormally dry" by the U.S. drought monitor. This is one stage below the first stage of true drought. Northern Michigan has been having much better luck than southern Michigan with getting adequate rain. It rained again today in northern MI, but again not much in southern MI.

In my own opinion, the colors should be good up there this fall. Last summer was pretty dry up there, and the colors were good when I went up in early October (not mind boggling, but good).

You can see the difference on this map. Southern Michigan is in severe drought. As you go north, it changes to moderate drought, and then abnormally dry up in the Leelanau area:

Old 08-02-2012, 10:50 AM

391 posts, read 907,831 times
Quote:

There is no drought in Leelanau County. Even corn farmers are pretty happy, unlike most of the US. We did have a very dry 2 1/2 weeks in July, but have had decent rains since then, including an all night soaker last week. It rained again last night as well.
We haven't watered our gardens in a couple weeks.
Colors should be good, but you'll find most of Leelanau not at peak color in early October, unless there is an unusual bit of very chilly weather...not much chance of that with Lake Michigan being extra warm this year. The Little Finger tends to be a week or two behind because of the warmth from the lake.
Lake Michigan is down about 10 inches from last year, but far from it's record low point.

The good news is, barring a big hailstorm or hot humid weather around harvest time, the wine grapes up here are looking incredible and should produce the second great vintage in a row, easily comparable or better than last year's top quality and large yield vintage. Cherry & apple farmers are toast this year, but winery owners are sitting on top of the world. A great time to drink Leelanau wine!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:44 AM

Thanks so much for the info.

So the owners of the cabin had told me that the last week of Sept and first week of Oct were the best times for color. Should I see if I can push it by a couple of weeks? I don't want to miss it entirely.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:22 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,945,172 times
Quote:

So the owners of the cabin had told me that the last week of Sept and first week of Oct were the best times for color. Should I see if I can push it by a couple of weeks? I don't want to miss it entirely.
I used to take photo trips to the area in October for just that purpose, but it seems to me that temperature and precipitation fluctuations could make the timing less than predictable this year. Just a thought.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:

I don't think you can go wrong with the first week in October. Even if it is not quite peak color... there will be enough trees starting to turn that you will be able to get photos. Sometimes I think it is more beautiful just before peak color. If you try to hit peak color exactly... you run the risk of missing the best of it.

Personally, I don't think the last week in September will be great, though. A couple of years ago, I went to Sleeping Bear during the third weekend in September, and there wasn't much color at all. Everything was still green. There is usually a big jump in color from the last week in September to the first week in October.

Maybe your best bet is to be there for the first two weeks in October?

Old 08-03-2012, 08:02 AM

391 posts, read 907,831 times
The first couple weeks in October is probably your best choice for overall color. There will still be a lot of green, but most trees will still have leaves on at that time. Colors get more intense later in the month, but some trees have lost their leaves by that point.
Anyone from Leelanau who tells you any week in Sept is "best" for color probably has an open week in Sept that they want to rent.
Further inland, say Cadillac/Gaylord/Grayling, the colors usually peak a week or two earlier than Leelanau.
Enjoy your stay...it's going to be a beautiful Fall.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
Anyone from Leelanau who tells you any week in Sept is "best" for color probably has an open week in Sept that they want to rent.
Further inland, say Cadillac/Gaylord/Grayling, the colors usually peak a week or two earlier than Leelanau.
Enjoy your stay...it's going to be a beautiful Fall.
LOL, that is what I was thinking. Actually, I plan to do a bit of traveling around the area so going more inland is not out of the question. I do plan to also visit Mackinac Island and Pictured Rocks while out there. I will probably start my trip by driving up over the top of WI into the UP, stay one night and then drive down to Leeland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with the first week in October. Even if it is not quite peak color... there will be enough trees starting to turn that you will be able to get photos. Sometimes I think it is more beautiful just before peak color. If you try to hit peak color exactly... you run the risk of missing the best of it.

Personally, I don't think the last week in September will be great, though. A couple of years ago, I went to Sleeping Bear during the third weekend in September, and there wasn't much color at all. Everything was still green. There is usually a big jump in color from the last week in September to the first week in October.

Maybe your best bet is to be there for the first two weeks in October?
I'm currently scheduled for 9/29 to 10/6. I may call and see if I can push it out a week.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
LOL, that is what I was thinking. Actually, I plan to do a bit of traveling around the area so going more inland is not out of the question. I do plan to also visit Mackinac Island and Pictured Rocks while out there. I will probably start my trip by driving up over the top of WI into the UP, stay one night and then drive down to Leeland.

I'm currently scheduled for 9/29 to 10/6. I may call and see if I can push it out a week.
Well... that is basically the first week in October, so I think you'll be in good shape, even if you don't change it. Pushing it back a week will probably give you more color in Leelanau, but possibly past-peak color in some of the inland areas.

With either one of those weeks, and as much as it seems you are planning to drive around, you are going to find color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan