Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 05:06 PM

46 posts, read 125,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Lelah Johnson-Green, 58, walks for her health each day around downtown Pontiac.
Living in a nearby neighborhood where she cares for her elderly parents, Johnson-Green sees the Woodward Avenue loop -- the one-way, higher-speed, multilane road that circles downtown -- as a barrier to access to the downtown area.
"I think it's time for a change," she said.
And city and county officials agree. This week, they will gather for three days to discuss the Downtown Pontiac Transportation Assessment, which includes three new layouts for the loop and ways to reconnect Saginaw Street to Woodward Avenue where the Phoenix Center blocks it off. The meetings are open to the public, but a special time set aside for public comment will be Tuesday night.
The goal is to define a layout that makes the road more pedestrian- and bike-friendly and better suited to actual traffic flow.
"The road was essentially over-designed," said Bret Rasegan, an Oakland County planning supervisor. "It was projected around 1980 that about 150,000 cars per day would use the loop, and it never got anywhere near that."
With $300,000 in federal funds to undertake a study of the road, three options have emerged:
• Making the west side of the loop two-way; keeping the east side one-way and reducing the number of lanes.
• Making the entire loop two-way.
• Making the loop two-way and reducing the number of lanes on the east side.
Pontiac Mayor Leon Jukowski said reopening Saginaw Street is a priority because it's easier to get through downtown that way, and changing the east side of the loop is a way to reconnect people from the nearby neighborhood to downtown.
"A four-lane highway is pretty intimidating for pedestrians," he said.
As for how to pay for the changes, Jukowski said a recent deal penned by emergency manager Lou Schimmel to transfer operation of the city's wastewater treatment facility to a county-managed entity could free up city funds. No method of paying for repairs had been finalized, Jukowski said.
Unity Barber Salon owner Antonio Magee, 40, said changes that make it easier to get downtown will be better for business.
"I think it's a good plan," he said. "You can just walk downtown, get what you want and go home."
Pontiac officials plan meetings on Woodward Avenue loop changes | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

I do agree that the Loop should be more pedestrian friendly, but there are other factors that's keeping downtown Pontiac from thriving. What do you all think about narrowing the Woodward Loop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,616,306 times
I definitely think they should make it two way and reconnect Saginaw street. I don't know if it'll exactly help Pontiac grow much, but the few businesses along Saginaw Street might get more traffic. That Phoenix Center is the worst case example of 60s urban renewal. In fact, the whole idea of having a ring road around the business center seems like 60s odd planning fad. Yuck.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:48 PM

46 posts, read 125,654 times
I totally agree. I remember the area had the Clinton River run through and all the historic buildings lining up Saginaw. It was like Birmingham in some respects, just a beautiful little downtown. I think the Phoenix Center and the Loop was a big mistake. It's ugly, pointless, and an attraction for vandals. Never liked it when it was built, didn't like it when I lived in Pontiac, and I still don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan