Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 08:11 AM

3 posts, read 4,085 times

Advertisements

I am from Brazil ( São Paulo- big city) and my husband received 2 offers one near Naperville and other near Midland. Now I need to know where is better to live with 3 children. All aspects, place, schools, etc..
Thanks a lot for any help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,910,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meugenia View Post
I am from Brazil ( São Paulo- big city) and my husband received 2 offers one near Naperville and other near Midland. Now I need to know where is better to live with 3 children. All aspects, place, schools, etc..
Thanks a lot for any help!!!
Probably not too many people on here know about life in Naperville. It is in Illinois right? Midland was recently named one of the best places to raise a family, so it cant be any worse than Naperville. And of course...Michigan is FAR better then ILL.!

Old 06-06-2012, 03:01 PM

222 posts, read 811,723 times
Default Suggestion

Never lived in either place, but have visited both of them.

Obviously, Naperville is closer to Chicago (but still quite a drive if you want to get downtown for something) and has all of the things you would expect of suburb of a major US city. If you are used to big city life (mass transit, professional sports team, large museums, restaurants, cultural events), then it may be more of what you are looking for.

Midland, on the other hand, is mid-sized town near the center of the state with a charm all it own. If you like the quiet, slower pace of living or like to get out into parks or on a lake, then you may be happier here.

I think both towns have been ranked highly in quality of life surveys in the past, so you may want to look into the cost of living for each one as a tie-breaker. (I think City-Data.com can provide that for you and there are other online resources as well.)

But from what I recall, housing in Naperville is much more expensive and taxes are being raised in the state of Illinois to make up for some large budget deficits. If the salaries are similar, your money will go farther in Midland than in Naperville.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,874,938 times
You can probably get twice the home in Midland than you can in Naperville for the same price. It's one of Chicago's more expensive suburbs I believe.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:48 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,384,529 times
I live 35 miles north of Midland.

You will not find a nicer town.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:24 AM

196 posts, read 303,773 times
If you care about schools, cultural diversity, amenities, restaurants, shopping, proximity to a world-class city, Naperville wins hands down - it has one of the best school systems in the country, and is itself rated as one of the best places to live. It also has much better shopping, amenities, cultural offerings, etc., than probably any place in Michigan (only Ann Arbor may come close).

Yes, housing is more expensive there, and taxes are higher, but - you get what you pay for. Also, the housing market is as bad there as anywhere - so you can find a pretty good deal (relatively speaking) on a house there - foreclosures, short sales, abound.

Presumably your husband's job offers' salaries reflect the difference in cost-of-living between the two places.

BTW - my basis of experience is having lived in the west suburbs of Chicago (next to Naperville) for over 20 years; I now live in the Eat Lansing/Okemos area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan