Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 11:50 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,593,374 times

Advertisements

I need some advice. I have recently been offered a job across the country in my chosen field. The catch is: the job is only part time and the area to live is very expensive.

I have good credit but a lot of debt, no savings. Financially, the movie is probably suicide. But as long as I stay here in a retail job that I not only hate, but that offers no significant increase in income in the future, my financial situation is going to deteriorate as well.

I cannot pursue a career in my field in Michigan it doesn't look like. So, if you were in my shoes, would you make the move anyway? I figure I can take the new job and transfer within my retail company to at least maintain my current wages.

This other area I'm moving to promises a better future job pool. So would taking short-term financial distress for the promise of possibly improving in the future be sensible?

Or should I just stay here in a dead-end job, let me college degree become useless, but maybe find a way to break even for the next few decades in a field that doesn't interest or challenge me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 04:15 PM

15 posts, read 77,077 times
I'd get the hell out of dodge and get that job in your field. Getting that experience will help on the resume in landing a full time job later. I left the detroit area 3 years ago for a good job in florida and that experience got me a better job up north in michigan. This state is a brain drain, you may as well follow.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:07 PM

21,165 posts, read 19,761,393 times
Mind if I ask what your field is and where you will be moving to? Also, your age and any obligations (wife, kids).

Old 05-09-2012, 07:33 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,593,374 times
26, wife, no kids. Moving for a history-related job in DC. I've been looking on and off for three years (while finishing school) and have only ever seen one history related job pop up in Michigan. But I've also got a Bachelor's in Poly Sci, but those entry-level jobs all seem to be unpaid internships.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:28 AM

21,165 posts, read 19,761,393 times
If your wife is okay with it, I'd recommend moving. You're still young enough, where a few years of struggling is to be expected (as it was for me at that age). If you want to be in as limited a field as history, you have to go where the jobs are. Washington, DC is a wealthy/expensive area, but that is because there are job opportunities there (at least as long as we stay on our BIG Government kick).

Probably the biggest hurdle will be you getting a second job (probably in something you don't really care for) and your wife getting a full time (or two part-time jobs) to make ends meet, pay off debt, start a family, etc.

But I would strongly encourage you to pursue your dream in the history field, and if that means moving, so be it. Otherwise, many years down the road you will kick yourself for not making the move now. If you want to get a good paying job down the road in your field, you need to start building a resume and professional network.

Good luck. Brings back memories of my early days and the tough choices that had to be made back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: