Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:37 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,773,834 times

Advertisements

A couple comments.

1. What idiots set up a committee with an even number of people?

2. See the 2nd post in this thread. However, the city will have more leverage in the budget negotiations. The state can no longer hang the EFM boogeyman over their head.

3. Unless Michigan's courts are filled with half-ass backwards, far right, anti-Detroit activists (who will agree with the state on no legal basis), as I'm still trying to figure out the legal basis for overturning the circuit court's decision to block the consent agreement due to it violating the Open Meetings Act, the rejection should be overturned. The font was printed as required by Michigan law.

Last edited by 313Weather; 04-26-2012 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 08:07 PM

9,489 posts, read 10,856,982 times
The only ones supporting this law are those who live in, or work for cities that are mismanaged and poorley run. The rest of us support a law which allows the state to step in and correct a corrupt and mismanaged city goverment. I think everyone knows this effort is all about Detroit and its opposition to outside intervention. This is Michigan vs Detroit here and I think we all know who is gonna win this one. Oh and I also agree with Michmoldman on the fact govenor Snyder is doing a good job. Hes running our state in the black and that in itself is a huge plus. I say no recall of the govenor and no repeal of the emergency manager law.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:45 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,956,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The only ones supporting this law are those who live in, or work for cities that are mismanaged and poorley run. The rest of us support a law which allows the state to step in and correct a corrupt and mismanaged city goverment. I think everyone knows this effort is all about Detroit and its opposition to outside intervention. This is Michigan vs Detroit here and I think we all know who is gonna win this one. Oh and I also agree with Michmoldman on the fact govenor Snyder is doing a good job. Hes running our state in the black and that in itself is a huge plus. I say no recall of the govenor and no repeal of the emergency manager law.
You think Snyder had a lot to do with the auto industry turnaround??
Michigan Economy Spikes in February, Reports Comerica Bank's Michigan Economic Activity Index - PR Newswire - The Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/26/4444426/michigan-economy-spikes-in-february.html - broken link)

Anything to support your "Daniel/Michigan vs. Detroit" theory eh?

Old 04-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
You think Snyder had a lot to do with the auto industry turnaround??
Michigan Economy Spikes in February, Reports Comerica Bank's Michigan Economic Activity Index - PR Newswire - The Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/26/4444426/michigan-economy-spikes-in-february.html - broken link)

Anything to support your "Daniel/Michigan vs. Detroit" theory eh?
Snyder didn't have anything to do with the Auto Industry's turnaround.

But the EFM law and the trampling of basic laws and procedures as put forth in the constitution is not an economic issue, and thus any mention of economic activity is nothing more than a straw man argument which should be ignored (as I did ignore).

Old 04-27-2012, 02:49 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,925,603 times
I guess if the "Snyder haters" guy had got in, he would be just the most perfect Governor ever. Making everyone smile and loving his every decision. Sorry...thats not how it works people. Just admit Gov. Snyder is doing what he thinks is right, and Michigan is on the right path.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:56 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,956,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I guess if the "Snyder haters" guy had got in, he would be just the most perfect Governor ever. Making everyone smile and loving his every decision. Sorry...thats not how it works people. Just admit Gov. Snyder is doing what he thinks is right, and Michigan is on the right path.
The jury is still out on Snyder imo. I don't know what he's up to, but let's look for a pattern. He was the corporate candidate while Bernero was the blue collar candidate. We don't know what Bernero would have done, but voters chose the corporatist, so that's it. Assuming that "Snyder haters" would "love" Bernero is hyperbolic and speculative. This love-for-our-guy-no-matter-what is certainly not lacking with corporate-right supporters, so don't use that as an argument.
I have said in the past that we must be cautious of a corporate-owned and appointed govt - that's fascism.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:24 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,925,603 times
Quote:
I have said in the past that we must be cautious of a corporate-owned and appointed govt - that's fascism.
As opposed to a career politician? Pick your poison...

Old 04-28-2012, 08:11 AM

21,275 posts, read 19,899,892 times
Quote:
The amount of misinformation (or misunderstanding?) in this sentence leaves me too bewildered to even respond. Corporate-owned? Appointed? Fascism?

Let me guess: Snyder is "just like" Hitler?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:49 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,990,101 times
Lots of signatures and 0 solutions.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Lots of signatures and 0 solutions.
So your solution is to circumvent constitutional law because things aren't how you want them?

The only message I get from most of the responses in this thread is basic, indisputable rights of a US and Michigan citizens as granted to them by the US and Michigan Constitution doens't matter, it's just a piece of toilet can be be tore up, pissed up and set on fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: