Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 4,326 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering what the current job prospects are for new college graduates in Michigan. I know that the economy in Michigan is still in poor shape, but since I have been studying in universities outside the state for my Bachelor's and Master's degrees in History, I really do not have a good handle on what to expect out of a job search. I grew up in southwest Michigan (around Kalamazoo), and I am currently considering moving back home to look for work to pay down my student loans before possibly continuing on to a doctoral degree program.

I am well aware that job prospects will depend on where one lives, field of study, and previous work history. I am hoping to find something in the southwest Michigan area (Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, and Grand Rapids preferably), however I am also conscious that my field of study and lack of significant work experience may be/will be detrimental to my search. That aside, I still would like to get an idea from others what the lay of the land is before jumping in when I return in late May.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 01:37 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,979,403 times
See if you can get a job now, before you move. What do you want to do? All I can think of for a history major is:

1. Write a book.

2. Teach

3. Go to law school or business school.

4. Work in the insurance industry (they just want any kind of degree).

5. Work for the Henry Ford/Greenfiled Villiage (low pay but awesome job).

What do you want to do?

Old 04-23-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
See if you can get a job now, before you move. What do you want to do? All I can think of for a history major is:

1. Write a book.

2. Teach

3. Go to law school or business school.

4. Work in the insurance industry (they just want any kind of degree).

5. Work for the Henry Ford/Greenfiled Villiage (low pay but awesome job).

What do you want to do?
I have seriously considered going into the insurance industry, but I am not sure how long I would last. I considered law school when I was in my undergraduate years, but with the sheer expense involved just to attend makes it impossible for me - there is also a glut in the market for lawyers. I am not sure about business school either.

Teaching or working at Greenfield Village are appealing, but are not economically viable at this point in time - but probably in a couple years after I get rid of some of my debts. Writing a book (whether fiction or non-fiction) is a large undertaking. While it would be a good side project in addition to working a full-time job, it would be difficult to make a living with it for a while.

I really am looking for any sort of work in southwest Michigan where I could pull $20k or more in order to pay off my debts, as well as have a little savings.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 PM

864 posts, read 1,724,920 times
I'm not sure why you would get a Master's in History for work in the insurance industry. Your logical career path would be teaching. You already have a Master's though so that may hold you back more than help finding a job at the high school level. At the college level, I think you need a doctorate unless at a community college. If you're not teaching, your college credentials are pretty much worthless in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmn002 View Post
I have seriously considered going into the insurance industry, but I am not sure how long I would last. I considered law school when I was in my undergraduate years, but with the sheer expense involved just to attend makes it impossible for me - there is also a glut in the market for lawyers. I am not sure about business school either.

Teaching or working at Greenfield Village are appealing, but are not economically viable at this point in time - but probably in a couple years after I get rid of some of my debts. Writing a book (whether fiction or non-fiction) is a large undertaking. While it would be a good side project in addition to working a full-time job, it would be difficult to make a living with it for a while.

I really am looking for any sort of work in southwest Michigan where I could pull $20k or more in order to pay off my debts, as well as have a little savings.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
I'm not sure why you would get a Master's in History for work in the insurance industry. Your logical career path would be teaching. You already have a Master's though so that may hold you back more than help finding a job at the high school level. At the college level, I think you need a doctorate unless at a community college. If you're not teaching, your college credentials are pretty much worthless in my opinion.
I know it is weird. When I went from undergraduate to graduate school I was certain that I wanted to get a doctoral degree and teach as a full-time professor at either a university or community college. After going through two years the prospect of at least another six looks excruciating, and the academic job market afterwards is not good. A survey conducted in 2009 of history Ph.D. graduates by the American Historical Association found that less than 30% found employment in higher education, and 32.4% were still looking at the time of graduation. Not all of the positions available to new graduates are full-time tenure-track, the reality is that most are part-time adjunct positions which last an academic year.

New History PhDs in 2009 Surged to Second-Highest Level in 32 Years

A Terrible Time for New Ph.D.s

I have looked into teaching at community colleges in the southwest Michigan region, but only a few are hiring and only for adjunct positions (on a single semester basis). The pay rates for these positions fall between $35-$45 per contact hour (actual in-class time), which comes out to be about $1,400-$1,800 per course per semester. It's not bad if one looks at it as being a three to four hour per week job, but it's nothing someone can pay the bills with - especially if the college contract is for one course for one semester.

I understand where you are coming from regarding teaching, and while there are other jobs that employ historians, we (the general public) only see history as being a teaching profession. I have considered primary and secondary education, which would require some further education to obtain my teaching credentials, but I still fell that I should get a salaried job to pay down my loan debt before pursuing teaching.

Edit: I would also add that even going through around 12 years of post-secondary education, tons of effort, teaching assistantships, and academic publications at the end of the day there is a good probability of not working in teaching - and it maybe only for a year or two at low pay.

Last edited by rmn002; 04-23-2012 at 10:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan