Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:26 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,904,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectwanda1 View Post
Michmoldman......you are a nice person.

W
Lol...thanks! I just love Michigan and everything about her....even the tourist traps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,938,473 times
Traverse City and Sleeping Bear Dunes. Kids love the dune climb for one. Kids and adults like the Stocking scenic drive, Fishtown in Leland, the beaches, the towns of Empire, Glen Arbor, lighthouses at the peninsulas.
No website can really do it justice.

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore - Traverse City Convention & Visitors Bureau
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore - Empire - Reviews of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore - TripAdvisor

Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,938,473 times

Climbing Sleeping Bear Dunes, MI - YouTube

Forgot, there is also kayaking and tubing on the river.
Kayaking and Canoeing - Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore

Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,814,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Do you really like Frankenmuth? I do not know anyone who actually likes it.

Ilove Michigan too, but I find Frankenmuth kitschy and boring. The food at the two related restruatunts was not very good IMO. I ahve had much better broasted chicken. Do you work there perchance?

Maybe it is just becuase I am not into shopping and we have plenty of Christmas ornaments. I did enjoy the house of mirrors with the kids and it was interesting to learn about Ear Candles while we were there.

I find Shipshewana more interesting and enoyable for kitschy cultural tourit trap type places. When you get outside of town, there are some fabulous wood working and quilt places. (Genuine made nearby, nothing marked "made in china"). Sure it is in Indiana, but close enough to Michigan that they spend at least some of their tourist dollars on our side of the border.

I like Frankenmuth, and I do like the food at Bavarian Inn. I know some people dont like all that kind of stuff, but if your into the German theme, like German food then you will like Frankenmuth. If yyour not into it then I guess you will feel the way you do. People drive up from metro Detroit, or even from Ohio and Indian to visit Frankenmuth so alot of people do like it. The Bavarian Inn hotel is always full of people.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:51 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,609,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I like Frankenmuth, and I do like the food at Bavarian Inn. I know some people dont like all that kind of stuff, but if your into the German theme, like German food then you will like Frankenmuth. If yyour not into it then I guess you will feel the way you do. People drive up from metro Detroit, or even from Ohio and Indian to visit Frankenmuth so alot of people do like it. The Bavarian Inn hotel is always full of people.
I also like Frankenmuth. Honestly, I didn't really care for the giant Christmas store (Bronners). I don't need to go in there again. But I like the rest of the town, and I agree that the food is good. Definitely want to make it up there again.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:34 PM

56 posts, read 188,642 times
ALSO, if you join the Zhender's birthday club (you can register on-line) you get your dinner for free in the month of your birthday.

Toys, tulips, polkas, pastries, chicken, and fudge. So much fun....so little time.

And.....if the shops in town aren't enough.....there is the outlet shopping mall in Birch Run just down the road off of I-75.

w

Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,814,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectwanda1 View Post
ALSO, if you join the Zhender's birthday club (you can register on-line) you get your dinner for free in the month of your birthday.

Toys, tulips, polkas, pastries, chicken, and fudge. So much fun....so little time.

And.....if the shops in town aren't enough.....there is the outlet shopping mall in Birch Run just down the road off of I-75.

w

I am in Bavarian Inns perks club which does the same thing. Free chicken dinner the month of your B-day, and you earn points when you stay at the hotel, eat at the restaurants etc. The points add up until you reach a certain amount, then you get a 20$ voucher to use. We dont live that far from frankenmuth but we do occasionally stay at the Bavarian Inn, close easy getaway and my son loves all the pools and games the hotel has. I have no long drive and its a relaxing place. I do think Frankenmuth is a nice place to spend a day/weekend.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalgal View Post
We are planning a family reunion with 24 (11 adults and 13 children) of us and we would like especially to stay on the eastern side of Lake Michigan. We would like to stay in only one or two locations during an 8 day stay. What suggestions would you make? If we go to Mackinac Island would you stay on the island or just visit for the day? Holland? Traverse city? I am looking for some place with things to do for the kids.

Thanks all
Someone brought up camping -- camping is a great way to have a family reunion. You can sit around a campfire reminising in the evening, kids can play outdoors, it's more informal and fun for people to come and go -- one group might want to sit around in the campground, another might want to go on a hike. You can put picnic tables together for group meals.

I also think the Traverse City region is perfect for this kind of thing, some nice campgrounds and the Sleeping Bear dunes, Platte River for tubing, lots of picnic areas.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:08 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times
It's all about" Pure Michigan"Folks. Where ever you go in our diverse state there are interesting,stops, stays, and memories that will be with you forever. There is so much to do, it can be breathtaking! Whether you are from out of state , a resident, Or just passing through, there is an interest for everyone.

Get out there and enjoy, see what we are all about, I know a good time is in store , what are you waiting for ! Start your making plans now, many places fill up quickly in all seasons, there is just so much to see and do, right here in "Pure Michigan".

Old 04-26-2012, 06:13 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,904,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
It's all about" Pure Michigan"Folks. Where ever you go in our diverse state there are interesting,stops, stays, and memories that will be with you forever. There is so much to do, it can be breathtaking! Whether you are from out of state , a resident, Or just passing through, there is an interest for everyone.

Get out there and enjoy, see what we are all about, I know a good time is in store , what are you waiting for ! Start your making plans now, many places fill up quickly in all seasons, there is just so much to see and do, right here in "Pure Michigan".
It amazes me that people who live here STILL have no clue how absolutely amazing this state is. On my business Facebook page, I have people who live here tell me all the time they have never been to the U.P., or Lake Superior, or Lake Michigan...seen the bridge, and some who see a picture and ask "what bridge is that"! lol Your right Dar...there is so much to do in this state its not even funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan