Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 PM

7 posts, read 9,940 times

Advertisements

Y'all are making me want to head to Michigan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 AM

56 posts, read 189,221 times
You are just the sweetest southern belle!

I wish I was a southern belle. (oh sigh)

FYI....it didn't snow last night nor this morning here. One thing you will notice here in Michigan, the weather can change on a dime. Even though you get forecasts (from local forecasters), it doesn't necessarily pan out. I once heard a downstate weather forecaster say that predicting Michigan weather is so difficult because of the great lakes. I suspect that has a lot of truth.

Also, you will get a forecast that will cover the entire U.P. Which is a little disingenuous, because the U.P. encompasses a huge area and what might ring true for the Northern U.P. may not necessarily be true for the central, western or eastern U.P. I go to NOAA alot for my weather forecast.

Anyway.....don't want to bore you....really just wanted to say "HI Y'ALL!" and come on up.......we welcome you!

W

Old 04-21-2012, 06:37 PM

It is very chilly in our home town today, in the high fifties. I went to a fund raiser this afternoon wearing my Michigan Tech sweater and it felt good

Old 04-21-2012, 07:25 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,930,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinahB View Post
It is very chilly in our home town today, in the high fifties. I went to a fund raiser this afternoon wearing my Michigan Tech sweater and it felt good
I love this cool weather. Thats the beauty of living in Michigan...and being a Michigander. You deal with whatever weather comes your way and make the best of it. I wouldnt want it any other way...

Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,984,930 times
The larger populated city's and towns up here are starting to attract more and more Retirees . My guess is that a lot of surveys ,polls, and articles have been talking abut the UP as a best place to retire, to live, and of coarse visit.
Marquette always seems to be on the top for moving to Upper NMichigan., and for good reason. zMarquette County has the ,most people, the best health care, and the most all around places to shop. I did an extensive search on City-Data before I retired here in Marquette. It's been 4 -5 years already and we love it here. Believe it or not, Marquette is the largest city I have lived in since I left Chigaco 35 years ago. I find it great convience to have so many of city and county wide services available again.
Come check out Marquette as a best place to live, I did and do not regret any of the move. Granted we have been coming up to the copper country for many years on summer vacation., iTs more tourist oriented but is lacking in year round services and comforts. Marquette is and always been more business , industry, than any other since the boom days of the Cooper mining, long ago. Check us out, we mostly have mild winter temps, lots of dry power snow, and fuer tourists. It's a great place to retire !

Old 04-22-2012, 04:52 PM

Darstar, where did you live just before you moved to Marquette? Our first trip to Michigan, several years ago, we started out in Duluth, MN so we could visit Split Rock lighthouse, then we headed East, finally ending up at Whitefish Point. Loving the area we came home and started looking at homes for sale on the Internet and were fascinated by the Calumet area. Since then our summer trips have taken us there, staying longer each trip.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,790,077 times
I have some really fond memories of the UP. My wife and I had our honeymoon up in Marquette. We stayed there for several days in August when it was 90 outside but the water temp numbed your legs after 10 minutes You're right the people up there sure are nice. Probably largely because of less stress in their daily lives. Haven't been up there since about 1996 when my wife and I were going that route after attending a wedding in the Detroit area and headed over the UP towards Minneapolis on a road trip. Indeed it's still a pristine place compared to most. I certainly can see why it would make for a popular retirement community.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 AM
YAZ

7,705 posts, read 14,142,525 times
Leave all the cares of your world behind.....and cross our bridge, your soul to find.

I was born & raised in da U.P., but now I'm just a troll.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:51 PM

56 posts, read 189,221 times
Ha Ha

"troll" is michigan-yooper speak for people who live below the bridge

DO check out Marquette. We LOVE Marquette.

Lots of pristine Lake Superior shoreline and you have all the big city perks. Lots of restaurants, all kinds of shopping, Marquette General Hospital (great hospital), Marquette University, and wonderfull people.

Actually I do believe Marquette Michigan was placed on a top 10 (?) place to retire. Not sure if it was an AARP, Money Magazine or CNN article. But it indeed was a top pick. Inexpensive to live, good quality health care, access to restaurants and shopping....We go there at lease once a month!

W

Old 04-24-2012, 02:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,206 times
Default lol

Michigan is a nice place, I will move there recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan