Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,953,300 times

Advertisements

My friend had a trailor up in ironwood.. It seemed a lot less of a place to live and a lot more of a place to come up and visit to go hunting/fishing/camping or tubing. Then again that's me.. which is why I'm moving to Miami.. Grand Rapids is too small for me!

It is a neat area with a lot of wildlife.. if that is what you want you will definitely love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 10,223 times
I know this is an old post, but I read and just HAVE to reply and give a little truth.

I have lived in the Hurley-Ironwood area for about 24 years now. Mostly in Hurley(WI), but ive spent a couple years in Ironwood as well. For those not in the know, Hurley and Ironwood are seperated by the Montreal river.

Ive read all positive comments regarding Ironwood MI, but heres a little reality for anyone interested...

Traffic, period, is horrible. If you have to drive anywhere around here, it sucks. I have never seen worse roads. Potholes are everywhere. The city's solution to potholes is filling them in with tar, and then covering the tar with little white rocks - which in turn stick to your car and or chip your paint when you drive over them. There was a hole by family video this spring that you would actually bottom out in. Stopsigns are EVERYWHERE, and traffic lights that you often sit at only to have NO opposing traffic. No reason to be stopped. Most locals avoid these lights by taking a route thru sidestreets(either the cemetary way, or by the fountains and family video, or the memorial building way...).

You cannot drink the water. One taste or smell will do it for you. Its not safe.

There are no jobs. Local youth move away as soon as they can. The thought of spending their life at Bessemer Plywood, or Ironwood plastics must not appeal to them. Those that do not move away are likely to become alcoholics and work at Bessemer Plywood or Ironwood Plastics.

Everyone here is drunk. Ironwood is a small rivers width away from infamous "Silver Street" and its tempting lower block where prostitutes can be purchased in the Club Carnival, even today. This street is a tourist scurge. In the winter its a cesspool of drunken tourist snowmobilers, and drunken locals who think its fun to beat up tourists. Well, it IS fun.

Its a hard place to be comfortable. The summers are ok, and yes, the area IS VERY beautiful. But the bugs totally consume you. Lake Superior has Biting Fly infestation, and inland the gnats and mosquitos will drain you of your blood. The winters, however, will test you. Bitter cold and huge amounts of snow. Expect a 350.00 monthly heat bill. The weather is nice June thru sept. The other 8 months you have to run your furnace. Winter here, in a word, is madness.

Those are a few real observations on the area of Ironwood MI. Dont get me wrong, I actually dont hate it here. I could pack up and leave anytime. For me the good outweighs the bad. But this town is not the rosegarden its made out to be. Living here changes you. And there are deer downtown.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:57 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,953,300 times
ok im an idiot... i was thinking Irons........

Old 05-21-2008, 05:28 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,951,216 times
With a little more $$$ you can move to Marquette , and see real UP beauty.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:21 AM

137 posts, read 532,838 times
Don't ya just love exaggerations?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonw33 View Post
I know this is an old post, but I read and just HAVE to reply and give a little truth.

I have lived in the Hurley-Ironwood area for about 24 years now. Mostly in Hurley(WI), but ive spent a couple years in Ironwood as well. For those not in the know, Hurley and Ironwood are seperated by the Montreal river.

Ive read all positive comments regarding Ironwood MI, but heres a little reality for anyone interested...

Traffic, period, is horrible. If you have to drive anywhere around here, it sucks. I have never seen worse roads. Potholes are everywhere. The city's solution to potholes is filling them in with tar, and then covering the tar with little white rocks - which in turn stick to your car and or chip your paint when you drive over them. There was a hole by family video this spring that you would actually bottom out in. Stopsigns are EVERYWHERE, and traffic lights that you often sit at only to have NO opposing traffic. No reason to be stopped. Most locals avoid these lights by taking a route thru sidestreets(either the cemetary way, or by the fountains and family video, or the memorial building way...).

You cannot drink the water. One taste or smell will do it for you. Its not safe.

There are no jobs. Local youth move away as soon as they can. The thought of spending their life at Bessemer Plywood, or Ironwood plastics must not appeal to them. Those that do not move away are likely to become alcoholics and work at Bessemer Plywood or Ironwood Plastics.

Everyone here is drunk. Ironwood is a small rivers width away from infamous "Silver Street" and its tempting lower block where prostitutes can be purchased in the Club Carnival, even today. This street is a tourist scurge. In the winter its a cesspool of drunken tourist snowmobilers, and drunken locals who think its fun to beat up tourists. Well, it IS fun.

Its a hard place to be comfortable. The summers are ok, and yes, the area IS VERY beautiful. But the bugs totally consume you. Lake Superior has Biting Fly infestation, and inland the gnats and mosquitos will drain you of your blood. The winters, however, will test you. Bitter cold and huge amounts of snow. Expect a 350.00 monthly heat bill. The weather is nice June thru sept. The other 8 months you have to run your furnace. Winter here, in a word, is madness.

Those are a few real observations on the area of Ironwood MI. Dont get me wrong, I actually dont hate it here. I could pack up and leave anytime. For me the good outweighs the bad. But this town is not the rosegarden its made out to be. Living here changes you. And there are deer downtown.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:24 AM

Marquette is NOT 'real' UP beauty. It's a city.....just like any other in the country. 'Real' UP beauty consists of forests and lakes and rivers and wildlife. AND, Marquette is ridiculous on the cost of renting/owning....opportunists, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
With a little more $$$ you can move to Marquette , and see real UP beauty.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
Marquette is NOT 'real' UP beauty. It's a city.....just like any other in the country. 'Real' UP beauty consists of forests and lakes and rivers and wildlife. AND, Marquette is ridiculous on the cost of renting/owning....opportunists, I think.
Yes , you are right on a lot of points about Marquette, it is an urban environment ..... but , just outside is Marquette County , largest in the state , and has some of the last wilderness left in the US. Moose , wolves , Bear , pristine lakes hidden on remote two tracks. Huron Mountains , oldest in the world. The list goes on.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:07 PM

Yes, I DO agree with that. MQT County is a beautiful place....Less 1 deer though lol. Watch for them on McClellan St. (553) by Division St. And, Grove St. too!!! I wish deer season was longer....there's too many! They think they own the road LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes , you are right on a lot of points about Marquette, it is an urban environment ..... but , just outside is Marquette County , largest in the state , and has some of the last wilderness left in the US. Moose , wolves , Bear , pristine lakes hidden on remote two tracks. Huron Mountains , oldest in the world. The list goes on.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
Yes, I DO agree with that. MQT County is a beautiful place....Less 1 deer though lol. Watch for them on McClellan St. (553) by Division St. And, Grove St. too!!! I wish deer season was longer....there's too many! They think they own the road LOL.
I live on McClellan st..........

Old 05-22-2008, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 10,223 times
Hey Torrid, either you have never been here, or you work for the Chamber of Commerce...

If I have exagerated, will you please set me straight then? What are the facts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan