Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 04:41 PM

6 posts, read 12,150 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I wonder if any of you can help? My husband is working for a company in Grand Rapids and it looks as if we will be moving over as a family as he is spending more time there. We currently live in England and our absolute priorities will be our daughters education and well being. They are aged 7 and 9 and living in a very nice location, that is safe and family orientated is paramount. Our daughters currently attend a private school but if there are schools that are particularly good we wouldn't necessarily go down that route. Can anyone recommend great schools (either private or state) and areas please?
Also, I believe it can be difficult to find houses to rent in some of the nicer areas - is this correct? If we are buying a house what are the unexpected costs on top of the purchase price in America and is it very difficult to sell houses in Grand Rapids if we move back in a couple of years time? Thank you so much for ANY help/advice that you can offer on or about anything..........it is quite overwhelming as to where to begin when I haven't even visited. The photo's that people have posted look like it is an amazing place. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 04:50 PM

491 posts, read 1,124,171 times
Richest area is Cascade I think. I would imagine the schools are good...members of my family who live there are multi-millionaires and they went to the public schools and in fact I have never heard them mention any private school.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:57 PM

6 posts, read 12,150 times
Thanks for taking the time to give us this information but that sounds like it will be out of our league, we are not on millionaire budgets unfortunately, especially as we will not sell our home in England. any other suggestions?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:30 PM

491 posts, read 1,124,171 times
Well, you still might look there. It's not Knightsbridge : ) My extended family's street happens to house some very large houses but I've noticed driving there that there are much more affordable looking residences in the same neighobrhoods near them.

The houses around there on the Thornapple River are gorgeous too...

Beyond that, sorry, I am not that familiar with the rest of Grand Rapids, but I'm sure there are a lot of very nice neighborhoods and schools around there, it's very sober-minded Dutch Reform country.

You might want to post this in the "Grand Rapids metro area" thread instead of here. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,895,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
Richest area is Cascade I think. I would imagine the schools are good...members of my family who live there are multi-millionaires and they went to the public schools and in fact I have never heard them mention any private school.
Cascade has a diversity of housing, and is not nearly all multi-millionaires. It is fairly white-collar professional though, but there are entire neighborhoods of homes in the $200 - $250k range. Houses along the river, yes, are pretty expensive.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:51 AM

643 posts, read 1,124,490 times
Try East Grand Rapids. Decent size houses and fairly good prices.

Realtor.com should give you some help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan