Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:12 AM

528 posts, read 886,306 times

Advertisements

Whaaaaat??????

Michigan State Fair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although I have to say, isn't Detroit a kind of poor place to locate the State Fair, given where all the agricultural land is???? No offense meant, Detroit, but agriculture is kind of the point of State Fairs....

But seriously? Anyone want to guess at what the economic impact of the loss of the State Fair might have been?

Any chance in heck it might come back?

No State Fair... nobody told me that.

It's the definition of buy local.... Why?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 12:34 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,742,228 times
I wonder if I could convince a computer manufacturer to make an "Ain't got no money" key that I could press every time someone asks why the government is discontinuing some program?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:10 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,626,593 times
Is the U.P state fair still happening up in Escanaba?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:47 PM

528 posts, read 886,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I wonder if I could convince a computer manufacturer to make an "Ain't got no money" key that I could press every time someone asks why the government is discontinuing some program?
Well, it could very well be that the State Fair cost more than it generated. Or it could be like the Pure Michigan campaign that generated more revenue than it cost, in which case, can we afford to do without it?

You old-timer Michiganders will have to answer that, I'm genuinely too new to know....

But knowing what I know of other state fairs, I find it hard to believe that's the case....

Old 07-24-2011, 06:34 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,861,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Whaaaaat??????

Michigan State Fair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although I have to say, isn't Detroit a kind of poor place to locate the State Fair, given where all the agricultural land is???? No offense meant, Detroit, but agriculture is kind of the point of State Fairs....

But seriously? Anyone want to guess at what the economic impact of the loss of the State Fair might have been?

Any chance in heck it might come back?

No State Fair... nobody told me that.

It's the definition of buy local.... Why?????
I totally disagree that State Fairs (or any fairs) are the definition of buy local. The big attractions and money makers of them is the midway, run by out-of-state companies. The trinket vendors are mostly from out-of-state. What else is there to buy local?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,742,228 times
Quote:
...the fair had been running deficits and needed $360,000 from the state in 2008 to cover losses. Fewer than 220,000 people passed through last year. At its peak in 1966, the fair drew 1 million. End of an era: No Michigan State Fair after 160-year run | MLive.com
As for Pure Michigan, the justification is that it brings in tourists from other states (which the State Fair doesn't). I find the claim dubious, however, as there is no way of knowing whether people are coming here because of a commercial or for other reasons.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:18 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,814,451 times
Michigan does need a new state fairgrounds, and a renewed state fair. Somewhere outside of Lansing seems logical to me as that is the state capitol. Detroit was never a good place for it, even before the city became what it is today. The state fair showcases Michigans agricultural products, and for that reason the fair should be closer to the agriculture. For a large midwestern state like Michigan not to have a state fair is almost unreal. I bet we are the only state in the midwest to not have one.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:09 AM

105 posts, read 148,139 times
Last I knew the UPPER still had the UP state fair in Escanaba. Escanaba also host the UPPER Michigan antique tractor & steam show on Labor Day week end.
I don't see a State fair needed in the lower unless it is more Central located in Michigan. Why should the people from Midland, Clare and Mt Pleasant north have to drive many hours south to attend a state fair Not to mention the Western side of the state.

Went to the state fair in Detroit once when I was very young with my folks. After a day of fun we returned to a car with a broken window small things stolen from inside and a missing battery. My folks wouldn't go any where near Detroit after that.

Our fair experinces after that were the Saginaw county fair. My mom would fry up some chicken of Saturday and fix orther picnic goodies to take on a Sunday. Last time I went to that one was 1988 was still a real nice experince.
Antique tractor & steam shows took most ofour week ends after that.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
State fair went broke. Could not afford to maintain the property let alone continue to fund the event. No idea whether that was in part of entirely due to corruption and graft, however at that time, it is unlikely that anything in Detroit was not losing a major percentage of their funds to corruption and graft.

If there is ever a state fair again, it will probably not be at what is left of the fairgrounds In Detroit. If it maintains its farming character, it would make more sense someplace like Fowlerville, where they still have farms and things, but it is within range of the population center of Metro Detroit.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:53 AM

275 posts, read 441,881 times
What a depressing thread.

After fifteen years of living in Ohio and enjoying the Ohio State Fair, it's very disappointing to learn that Michigan no longer has its State Fair. It's especially depressing if it is true that it is a casualty of greed an corruption.

A state fair is just something I learned to take for granted. Well, not any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan