Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:12 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,594,364 times

Advertisements

Is there anywhere to get good state news? The papers and MLive only cover things superficially and infrequently. I feel like despite being a news junkie, I know very little about what Snyder has actually done except from what activists on both sides say he's done. And that, as a civic-duty minded voter, bugs the crap out of me that I know hardly anything about recent state political issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 09:08 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,957,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Is there anywhere to get good state news? The papers and MLive only cover things superficially and infrequently. I feel like despite being a news junkie, I know very little about what Snyder has actually done except from what activists on both sides say he's done. And that, as a civic-duty minded voter, bugs the crap out of me that I know hardly anything about recent state political issues.
Unless you are signed up for in state political sites, you Will have a hard time getting local AND State happenings. The News media is focused on National Politics.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail twister View Post
Depends on who you talk to and listen to on who is going to pay for a new Bridge. Canadians I know say h ell no we're(canadian people) not paying for it. Some say it will be a split between Michigan and Canada.
And some say that if Canada does kick in money the people Of Michigan are going to have to repay it If it isn't a international bridge and the federal goverment pay some of the cost.

there is a private company that wants to build, I believe it is the owners of the Winsor bridge.

Just let them build it then use the domain law to take it away from them for next to nothing if they over charge.
One thing does need to be done, the mess at the border in Detroit is always " under construction", or something. Like I said before, many just go on up to Port Huron to cross. Its a lot less traffic. Private funding is fine for public work projects, however, there does need to be strong rules that protect the public.I have seen what the private tool roads have done in the US and Canada. Mostly, they have very high tolls, and less traffic.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:25 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,447,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Ways to fix this mess:
1. Tariffs -- anything made outside this country gets taxed to a level high enough to prompt manufacturing within the country. Foreign companies with plants in this country are not affected.
2. Employer penalties -- $1M fine for each illegal alien employed. $10K per employee bounty for anybody turning them in.
3. National ID (showing immigration status/birth place) required for all check cashing, sales, and hiring.
4. Revoke all work visas until unemployment rate drops down to 5%.
5. Tax breaks for companies building new plants in the USA.
6. Tax penalties for companies closing plants in the USA
7. Tax penalties for companies off-shoring jobs (ie call centers/programming in India)
8. Breakup financial institutions that are "too big to fail" and let them fail.
9. Change monetary policy to promote a strong dollar.
10. Reduce government spending to a 2000 level.
11. Repeal NAFTA and leave the WTO.
12. Repeal Sarbanes-Oxley.
13. Go back to the banking regulations before 1999 and Clinton's Financial Services Modernization Act and reimpose the 1933 Glass Steagall Act.
14. Abolish public sector unions.
15. Change immigration law to eliminate the anchor baby concept.

Well, the above is my solution to an ailing economy. Pricing will go up but wages will also go up as will employment levels.
Mostly awful and unrealistic ideas that will never work

Old 01-02-2012, 11:27 PM

864 posts, read 1,723,280 times
Why did you even bother to post? How about you elaborate and actually express what you think will work and what won't and for what reasons? Otherwise the automatic counter is "will to".
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Mostly awful and unrealistic ideas that will never work

Old 01-04-2012, 04:34 AM

198 posts, read 445,327 times
The latest news is that Michigan has $1 billion in extra cash that the state government is figuring out what to do with. Ideas include rebates to taxpayers or more spending on infrastructure projects. Detroit is saying that it's entitled to $200 million of it, but we'll have to see about that.

This has to be a first in Michigan's history. For a state that's been in the toilet since the 1960's, I don't think Michigan's government has ever had the problem of "too much money".

Old 01-04-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWADT View Post
Another Right wing over reacher who rides in on promises of small government and then proceeds to stomp on the state constitution by removing elected officials and trying to kill unions. I think 2012 will be the year we see a back lash of the 2010 election. 2010 may be the best thing that ever happened to Obama. It has shown what idiots the tea baggers are, before they do too much damage.
I hate to over make it that simple, because its not, however, you may just be right. It IS time for the people of Michigan to fight back, on all fronts !
I have seen what Detroit and Flint has become, it was predicted, and, it happened. Now its time to rebuild. The infrastructure is crumbling all over the state.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:57 AM

105 posts, read 148,241 times
Some intresting stuff with the appointment of finical managers in Flint and Pontiac.
Pontiac lost there police dept back in the fall and pay a fee to the county of Oakland. I am sure the protection is as good or better than when they had city cops. NOT!!
Now they have also lost their fire dept. One trained in saving the building not one only trained in saving buildings next to the burning ones. and the responce time getting from Waterford to the south east side of Pontiac has to be just fantastic.

Flint has had at least 10 heads of dept people fired and I don't know how many peole who worked in those deptments lost their job.

Detroit will soon I'm afraid see some of the same things happen there soon too.

I just got my first pention check for the year 2012, $67.00 taken out for income taxes.
thats $67.00 every month I won't be able to spend even in a big bussness venture let alone a small bussness.
I know hundreds of retired persons who like me were born a year to late.

There is a way to fight back on the tax angle though. I now no longer except checks for the handy man work I do. It is a cash only for the work I do, nor will you recieve a recipte for the cash you gave me. Most of my customers understand and don't complain when I tell them when I give my estmate on the job cost.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 AM

105 posts, read 148,241 times
We were informed in Nov that effective January 1st 2012 that our derect deposit of my pention check would no longer able to be accessed the same day. We would have to wait 5 working days before we could use any of that money.
So now there is a bank who has lost a long time customer. We closed all our savings and checking acounts transfured my derect deposit to a credit union.
They kept calling while I was out wanting our bussness back. I went in there one day and told the manager if they called again and lefty a message I would go after them on the do not call I have on file.

I know that doesn't have a thing to do with good old tricky King Rickey, more a part of the occupy wall street b itch.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 AM

864 posts, read 1,723,280 times
It's probably not wise to advertise that you're a tax cheat on the boards or when you do business. Sorry but I don't have any sympathy for you being taxed on your income (even if it is pension income). I'm taxed on my income and very few people these days get any pension when they retire. Be glad that you even have a pension when you pay the $67/mo and report your other income like everybody else has to do. Any of these cash "discounts" is taking the job from legitimate businesses and cheats the government out of revenue it should be getting. If you ever get caught, you'll wish you had done things the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail twister View Post
There is a way to fight back on the tax angle though. I now no longer except checks for the handy man work I do. It is a cash only for the work I do, nor will you recieve a recipte for the cash you gave me. Most of my customers understand and don't complain when I tell them when I give my estmate on the job cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan