Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:37 PM

44 posts, read 137,147 times

Advertisements

I have an honest question for those of you in Michigan that voted for governor in the last election. Considering the terrible state of the Michigan economy, why on earth did you re-elect your governor???? I don't understand that decision at all. What the heck is she doing so well, aside from driving all the industry and workers out of the state? I'm serious. I'm really perplexed by all of this. What does it take to NOT get re-elected there???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 11:35 PM

22 posts, read 47,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgirl View Post
I have an honest question for those of you in Michigan that voted for governor in the last election. Considering the terrible state of the Michigan economy, why on earth did you re-elect your governor???? I don't understand that decision at all. What the heck is she doing so well, aside from driving all the industry and workers out of the state? I'm serious. I'm really perplexed by all of this. What does it take to NOT get re-elected there???????

2 reasons why she is still governor,

1. Republican majority legislature in Mich, did not allow her to do much, informed voters realized that

2. Dick Devos

Old 07-29-2007, 04:01 AM

262 posts, read 787,918 times
The real reason these people in Michigan voted her back in cause the News Stations talked her up and how she was going to turn Michigan around because John Engler left the State of Michigan in a messed up state of affairs and also this would send a message to President Bush for sending all the jobs to over sea companies. Also the News talked about how DeVoes took a Million Dollar kick back from Bush. so being there are Democrats who are Blue Collar workers and the UAW tells them how to vote she was re elected, Just like Levin who has voted two times for the Amnesty Bill that was just shot down, We have Big Libs here who cry if a Republican takes Office cause they are for Big Business and most of the Morons think it's better to take hand outs over jobs. Grandhole wants to spend money on BS programs and raise the Taxes on the Rich, which isn't gonna happen the Rich now how the game is played, so they ain't gonna pay the high tax, so the Business end of Manufacturing is going to pay and so is construction Builders cause now we are going to pay, the Small Business Tax that the Republicans just wiped off the State Books. so Grandhole came back with a new Tax. All she does is tell these lames what they want to hear before election day and they took it hook line and sinker. just like the dumb fish in these polluted Lakes, Like St Claire Lake the Septic Tank it is, They tell people don't eat the fish from the Lakes, but they eat them anyways. Grandhole promised them all these companies were going to come and set up and bring 1000's of jobs,Out of her five years she has created maybe 8,000 new jobs after we have lost over 395,000 jobs since she took Office, but again this was Bush's fault. like when she told them Goggel was coming here a big 1000 jobs which to this day I believe there are maybe 100 workers building the new Office for them. and then she dropped the ball on Honda and Toyota, but all in all neither one of these companies wants anything to do with the Motown Auto Worker and the UAW so they stayed out of Michigan. Like a Banker told me, she works for Comerica Bank and moving to Texas, intil the mind set changes with the Michigan people that the Auto Industry is gone and those jobs are now being done for far less by workers in other countries it will be down the drain for Michigan cause there is No One in Lansing that knows what to do to turn things around. Michigan Politics is the worst in the Country all Lawyers oh I mean Liers.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:53 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
I really wanted to vote for someone else other than Granholm, but there was no one else to vote for. Devos was a non-starter, deer in the headlights, and he absolutely BOMBED while under pressure in the debates. Only a blind partisan denies that.

And I don't lay all the economic woes of our state at the governor's feet. We are undergoing a perfect storm in Michigan. We have three of the largest players in ONE particular industry undergoing massive market shrinkage due to Asian imports, coupled with skyrocketing labor costs in this country, that is sending ripples throughout the entire Michigan economy. As these companies (the Detroit Big 3) sell fewer and fewer cars, have smaller and smaller profits, and employ fewer and fewer people, that equals less tax revenue for the state. The current governor and our past governors really had not much to do with that. It grew to be the dominant industry through basic market forces.

With that being said, I think the childish antics this year of everyone in Lansing IS DEFINITELY causing a lot of companies to question any expansions in Michigan right now. I lay most of that at the feet of the Republican congress, and I am a registered Republican.

But the real question is: Why does someone who move from Michigan to Wyoming 10 years ago care what happens in Michigan? Really? Thinking of returning?

Last edited by magellan; 07-29-2007 at 09:02 AM..

Old 07-29-2007, 10:03 AM

792 posts, read 2,323,445 times
I voted for Granholm because she GETS IT! She understands that we cannot depend on heavy industry alone anymore, and she understands that the "knowledge economy" is the future. I was particularly impressed with her plan for universal postsecondary education.

But state government is not a dictatorship. Granholm cannot do much without the cooperation of congress. Unfortunately, a handful of Republicans in the state senate, led by Mike Bishop, have been doing all they can to prevent the state from making progress. As I said on another thread, the Republican leadership is giving us the same old false promises that they have been giving us since the Reagan years: just cut taxes and everything will get better. This is particularly irresponsible considering that the state now gets less money from the federal government than it did during the Engler years (again, thanks to the GOP). Thanks to Bishop & co., this year's budget was balanced by selling off future returns from the tobacco settlement for a fraction of their worth and cutting funds to higher ed.

I also voted for Granholm because all through her first term, when both houses of the state congress were controlled by the GOP, she was able to balance the budget and make the necessary cuts that they demanded, all while maintaining the state's top-level bond rating. But then the GOP decided to really screw things up. They cut the single business tax and without replacing those revenues, and then left the mess for the next congress to clean up. Then Bishop proceeded to stonewall for months while the state's bond rating went down and businesses were left wondering what their tax liability would be. The blame for the state's budget woes lies squarely with Bishop and his crowd, not with Granholm.

Just look at the abusive language that Granholm-bashers use on this forum: "Grandhole", "Can't Understand Normal Thinking", "Mole", etc. I guess the insinuation is that because she is a woman and has moles on her face, she can't be a good governor. This is typical of how right-wingers have dragged down debate in this country instead of offering serious solutions to our problems.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:23 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Personally I'm just "blown away". lol

Maybe our system is just not working, from the top to the bottom.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:05 PM

106 posts, read 535,718 times
Quote:
Everyone in my family voted for DeVos. We're conservative Catholics, and we mainly voted for him because of his stance on moral issues. In addition to this, he is a businessman, which means that he probably has ways to attract businesses to Michigan.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:41 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
I consider myself independent (more democrat than republican, though), and I did not like either candidate and would have liked to vote independent. However, I felt that would be wasting my vote and instead voted for Dick DeVos. My thinking was that he couldn't be any worse that what we had. Too bad more people didn't realize that....

Old 07-29-2007, 01:25 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
It is hard to be in business and not vote Republican. I would have liked another candidate too. I talked to DeVos at a few party meetings, he did much better one-on-one than the debates. I believe he is a good person. That is a job I would not want.

Last edited by Driller1; 07-29-2007 at 02:48 PM..

Old 07-29-2007, 02:08 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,429 times
I agree with those who say DeVos was a poor candidate. He sure was. I firmly believe that unless things turn around in this state soon, Granholm will not be re-elected for a third term. You can talk all you want about lawmakers in the state senate and house not doing their job, but I'm sorry the governor's job is to get the sides together and get things done. Even the dems aren't always cooperating with her in getting a budget done. The republicans in this state are going to have to find a decent candidate to put up against Granholm, something they didn't do last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan