Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:11 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,672,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
I firmly believe that unless things turn around in this state soon, Granholm will not be re-elected for a third term.
Isn't the governor limited to two terms? Or did they repeal that stupid law finally? (I voted against it when I lived there.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
The republicans in this state are going to have to find a decent candidate to put up against Granholm, something they didn't do last year.
Fred Upton ought to consider a run. He was a great Congressman for me when I lived in his district. Good fiscal conservative with lots of innovative ideas ... never afraid to think outside the box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgirl View Post
What does it take to NOT get re-elected there???????
I lived in west Michigan for the first 33 years of my life, and it was a pretty conservative area. We were always frustrated by the fact that even though the rest of the state could vote Republican, Detroit could always undermine the rest of the state because it was so solidly Democratic. Honestly, I think some people in that part of the state would vote for a slug if it said it was a Democrat.

Of course, I lay a lot of the blame for that at the feet of the autoworker unions, who pretty much expect everyone in the unions to toe the political party lines.

Michigan is really a mess, from the sounds of it. I left for work reasons, and there are a lot of things I miss about my home state. But the politics and the economy, I most certainly don't miss!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:58 AM

485 posts, read 968,221 times
Default Granholm

I wondered about the term limit things and thought it was three because Engler served 12 years, however, he only served TWO full terms after the term limit thing was enacted. So, the fact is, Granholm can NOT run again.

The union thing is a big reason for Michigan politics and the fact that we have a Dem in the governors seat and two Dems in the US Senate. Actually, "only" about 60% of union members vote Dem but it's enough to tip the scales. Many of the union members are also outdoor enthusiasts (and/or moral conservatives) and prefer GOP policies in that arena, thus not a larger majority of them vote Dem. However, ALL or 99% of the monies within the dues they pay that are redirected to political causes goes to Dem's, supposedly the ones that will "protect" their jobs. Well, that worked for a while but you can only build a house of cards so high before it tumbles...and tumbling it is.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 AM

271 posts, read 935,255 times
I voted for neither...I found both choices pathetic.

That said, I simply don't think Dick Devos, at any meaningful level, can understand the issues that relate to 80% of Americans who make an average days pay. Dick isn't part of our society, he is part of an elite multi-millioniare group that can buy anything they want, any time they want, for any reason. Now do I think that is bad...no, great for him, he is lucky and smart and should enjoy his windfall. But do I think such a person living in a different financial plane of existance can understand the issues of the majority who don't. Nope... Lets face it, for example, how would a Dick Devos understand the issue with the Government double, triple, and quadruple taxing say a used camper when bought between citizens multiple times when the Devos lands his multi-million dollar helicopter into Holland Michigan a couple times a year at the elite Class A camper dealer (setting it down in the parking lot...the guys doesn't even have to deal with traffic gridlock) and buys 2-3 $500,000 plus top of the line luxury "homes on wheels" for his short term campaign travels? Like I said, great for Dick...but such a person does not have the capacity, after such excess, to tie the human emotion with the logic needed to help the majority of Michiganders who are in a much different boat.

And Jen Jen...well her past record spoke loud enough to ensure I wouldn't vote for her. She is a slick talker, and Michigan would be better off if she sold used cars instead of selling Michiganders the theory that tax and spend is the way to get out of Michigans financial chaos. Like I've said before, she will be sitting on a warm beach in a couple of years laughing at Michiganders freezing all winter, while the state is in a multi-decade financial slump. She only needs to slick talk Michiganders a little longer before she can cash her last check...

Siberia

P.S. Is it just me or over the last few years, have the canidates for both President of the United States and Governor of Michigan become simply a choice between the lesser of two evils? Perhaps funding for a new, and better "political university" is in order...

Old 07-30-2007, 10:52 AM

144 posts, read 547,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
I voted for Granholm because she GETS IT! She understands that we cannot depend on heavy industry alone anymore, and she understands that the "knowledge economy" is the future.
I'd like to know when Granholm "got it", the revelation obviously didn't hit her during her first term. The fact is that our politicians on both sides of the fence knew long ago that Michigan's dependency on the auto industry was leading to a disaster. Rather than working together towards diversifying our employment base they played politics as usual.

Now the administration is scrambling to fill in with the "knowledge economy", which I read as IT jobs. That may be the wave of the future but you have thousands of people out of work that are not even close to being qualified for those kind of jobs, from line workers to senior management people.

My husband is a case in point. He has been employed in the steel industry for 27+ years. For the last 18 years as senior management in a Tier 1 auto supplier as a plant manager or quality manager. His company downsized because of the US auto company woes and he lost his job over a year ago. He has been relentlessly looking for a job, and now has resorted to paying a company $1500.00 to help. At 55 years old the prospect is not good. We have lost our retirement (401K), had to refinance our home which was 9 years from being paid off, we have no health care...... Granholm has never addressed the thousands of unemployed like my husband who have no skills in the "knowledge economy".

It's hard to feel confident in any politician of either party when you realize that they have ignored the obvious and allowed this state to come to the state it is in now.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:07 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,842,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Isn't the governor limited to two terms? Or did they repeal that stupid law finally? (I voted against it when I lived there.)

Fred Upton ought to consider a run. He was a great Congressman for me when I lived in his district. Good fiscal conservative with lots of innovative ideas ... never afraid to think outside the box.
I'm pretty sure the governor is limited to three, four year terms. I could be wrong, but I'm sure it's three.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberia View Post
I voted for neither...I found both choices pathetic.

P.S. Is it just me or over the last few years, have the canidates for both President of the United States and Governor of Michigan become simply a choice between the lesser of two evils? Perhaps funding for a new, and better "political university" is in order...
You got it Siberia. I don't think there's been a decent candidate for either party in Michigan for a long time, especially in the last two election cycles.
As for nationally, even more so. I've mentioned on pther posts how the presidency in this country is more like a corporation or monarchy with essentially two families (Bush/Clinton) running the white house over the last 20 years. If you factor in the possibility (seems more likely) that Hiliary will win in '08. This is a problem and a real concern that Americans should have about two families running the country. PUT A STOP TO BUSH/CLINTON INC.

Who the GOP puts up, who knows. No one, except maybe Ron Paul, stirs any excitement for me.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
I wondered about the term limit things and thought it was three because Engler served 12 years, however, he only served TWO full terms after the term limit thing was enacted. So, the fact is, Granholm can NOT run again.
That's what I thought. I remember that Engler was in office when the law passed.

Good for Michigan that she can't run again ... I just hope a good candidate comes forward.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:01 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,888,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
That's what I thought. I remember that Engler was in office when the law passed.

Good for Michigan that she can't run again ... I just hope a good candidate comes forward.
Don't be surprised if Devos runs again. Over here in GR the Press reported recently that he hasn't ruled out running again (that means he will run again). He's probably the only Repub that can raise enough money.

Soooooo......who do the Democrats have in mind????

Old 07-30-2007, 02:26 PM

I stand corrected. The governor can only run for two terms. So Granholm will be done in 2010....will the state be done as well?

How about congresswoman Candice Miller running for the repb. in 2010?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan