Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:31 AM

167 posts, read 470,244 times

Advertisements

If NAFTA is repealed and an inport tax is placed on manufactured goods possibly manufacturing may return to Michigan. Or at least to other areas of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 06:48 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,106,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
The Small Business Association of Michigan ran Snyder's proposal to tax corporations at a rate of 6 percent of income and small business at the individual income tax rate past its members and received an enthusiastic response. Forty-eight percent said they would add more jobs if the plan passes; 52 percent said they would expand their business; and 51 percent said they would buy new equipment.
Half said they would raise the wages and benefits of employees.
Larger companies also believe the new tax rate would stir growth. Business Leaders of Michigan polled its members and one-third say it would encourage more hiring.

Michigan ranks 48th in the complexity of its business tax code, and 38th in overall business tax burden, according to the Tax Foundation. None of the state's assets will offset such an unfavorable tax climate.
Snyder's plan would move Michigan to 16th on the list of states with the lowest business taxes.

Editorial: Cutting business taxes will lead to more jobs and higher wages in Michigan | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://detnews.com/article/20110313/OPINION01/103130304/Editorial--Cutting-business-taxes-will-lead-to-more-jobs-and-higher-wages-in-Michigan - broken link)

Only half? Doesn't sound very efficient to me.....

Thats only what they say as well. No business will hire unless there is need for the workers or more demand for the products the businesses produce.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,983,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I've never actually seen anyone point out a specific "fact" from the Mackinac Center that was incorrect. If they were putting out bad info, Democrats would have taken those guys out at the knees a long time ago. Are the facts annoying to some people? Probably. Are they suspect? I haven't really seen any evidence of that.
No opposing response to this yet. Figures.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Thats only what they say as well. No business will hire unless there is need for the workers or more demand for the products the businesses produce.
Which is now starting to happen. There's been a number of job hiring announcements lately across the state.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:41 PM

485 posts, read 966,792 times
Quote:
I have never gotten a job from a poor person.
That sums up quite a bit in a few words.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:57 PM

485 posts, read 966,792 times
Quote:
I've never actually seen anyone point out a specific "fact" from the Mackinac Center that was incorrect. If they were putting out bad info, Democrats would have taken those guys out at the knees a long time ago. Are the facts annoying to some people? Probably. Are they suspect? I haven't really seen any evidence of that.
Let's face it, the Mackinaw Center is certainly a conservative (economically) organization and their spin will be right of center on everything. However, they bring up points worth looking at and are hard to refute. Their database regarding teacher contracts is invaluable for compensation comparisons. They call out people like superintendents who say, for example, "We've had to reduce our budget 10% between 2004 and 2009, we can't cut anymore" and the MC points out that their budget rose from $144M to $157M during that period. The response from the superintendent? Crickets chirping. It's great stuff.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:40 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Quote:
I have never gotten a job from a poor person.
And businesses have never made a profit off a poor perosn.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:47 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
And businesses have never made a profit off a poor perosn.
Then open a business.

You too can make a huge profit!!!

Old 04-09-2011, 08:37 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Then open a business.

You too can make a huge profit!!!
Why would I open a business when my customer base has no money to spend?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Why would I open a business when my customer base has no money to spend?
Who needs customers? Look at GM. Of course you could consider opening a business with a different customer base offering profit potential but that's just too simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan