Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:50 PM

134 posts, read 491,766 times

Advertisements

Hi, ive been accepted to MSU and Umich so long as I finish 2 classes at a Community College. my question is while apts are very affordable from what ive seen in Michigan, what is the job situation like in East Lansing, Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo? My thinking is the employment might be alittle better due to them being college towns but I could be wrong. I like both the schools and the state itself is beautiful however going there for school depends on the job situation. so can anyone tell me what the deal is if they know it? thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 AM

51 posts, read 78,523 times
It has to do with what career field you are looking to get into. Both Ann Arbor and E Lansing are nice towns. It really depends on the job you get. But Jobs are tight throughout Michigan unless you have the education and the skills these days.

Some are saying Ann Arbor is doing a lot of hiring but hard to know.

Good Luck,
Newaygo1

Old 02-27-2011, 06:11 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,169,298 times
Do you mean for jobs after you graduate, or a job while you're in school?

Old 02-27-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Do you mean for jobs after you graduate, or a job while you're in school?
im talking part time jobs so I can pay for an apt while i go to school.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:12 PM

222 posts, read 811,414 times
Default Retail

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella24 View Post
im talking part time jobs so I can pay for an apt while i go to school.
You are looking at mostly retail or fast food jobs in the East Lansing area. Unemployment is still high here in Lansing, unlikely to change any time soon. Some high tech hiring, but doesn't sound like you have a degree yet, so your options are very limited. Also, a lot of competition for the jobs that do come up.

Check out the state's Michigan Works website for jobs in the area.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:13 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,068,219 times
Which school do you want to attend? Where do you think you will be happiest and most comfortable and most likely to succeed? Which school would give you a more impressive pedigree? You mentioned Kalamazoo. Were you looking at Western Michigan U. or expensive Kalamazoo College?

Overall, if you were able to gain admission to U of M (Ann Arbor) and you feel that you could compete grade-wise against the other students there, you probably can't go wrong by choosing U of M. You should probably worry less about the issue of finding a part-time job and more about your college experience, education, and the long-term employment and career value of your degree and college pedigree.

The University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) is home to top ten business and law schools and a very well-respected medical school. It is also sometimes referred to as a "Public Ivy". While a degree from U of M won't carry the same cachet as a degree from Harvard, it won't be regarded as a degree from a place that's thought of as a party school (MSU) or Podunk (Western Michigan). All things being equal, if employers have resumes from people with degrees from U of M, MSU, and Western Michigan, they will probably assume that the guy from U of M is smarter, more ambitious, and a harder worker. Unless you have a very compelling reason for choosing MSU or Western Michigan over U of M (say four year full-tuition merit scholarship or you can save $12,000/year by living at home with your parents and commuting) you should probably choose U of M.

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 02-28-2011 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Which school do you want to attend? Where do you think you will be happiest and most comfortable and most likely to succeed? Which school would give you a more impressive pedigree? You mentioned Kalamazoo. Were you looking at Western Michigan U. or expensive Kalamazoo College?

Overall, if you were able to gain admission to U of M (Ann Arbor) and you feel that you could compete grade-wise against the other students there, you probably can't go wrong by choosing U of M. You should probably worry less about the issue of finding a part-time job and more about your college experience, education, and the long-term employment and career value of your degree and college pedigree.

The University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) is home to top ten business and law schools and a very well-respected medical school. It is also sometimes referred to as a "Public Ivy". While a degree from U of M won't carry the same cachet as a degree from Harvard, it won't be regarded as a degree from a place that's thought of as a party school (MSU) or Podunk (Western Michigan). All things being equal, if employers have resumes from people with degrees from U of M, MSU, and Western Michigan, they will probably assume that the guy from U of M is smarter, more ambitious, and a harder worker. Unless you have a very compelling reason for choosing MSU or Western Michigan over U of M (say four year full-tuition merit scholarship or you can save $12,000/year by living at home with your parents and commuting) you should probably choose U of M.
I was aiming for U of M I have some problems that have gotten in the way, Im going to check out the school and area next week at some point to see if I like it enough to go for it. The issue comes in where I have to complete a math and an english at a CC first basically a semester. So id need a part time job to afford an apt while I completed the semester needed for admission. I would stay in my homestate to do it but I dont have a living option where I am atm, not to mention i dont have 850-900 a month to drop on an efficiency where I am in a semi-decent if that area. thats why I was looking to see the job situation out there because Im going to have to get one regardless of if I choose U of M or one of the other states I got the same circumstance for. I was looking into U of M because out of the other schools Its got one of if not the best reputation.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:12 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,068,219 times
Can you pay in-state tuition at the Michigan schools?

Old 03-01-2011, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Can you pay in-state tuition at the Michigan schools?
Believe it or not MI seems to be low in price compared to most other states when it comes to school, credit hour wise for an out of state student was 186 or something, other places are up to 320 and hour.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:09 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,005,064 times
Michigan has plenty of minimum wage, part time jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan