Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:54 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,861,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Just last week I approached my plant manager about what it would take to move up in our company. Any programs in place to move up? Classes etc? He told me he would help me get into a supervisor roll but was not sure where it would be. Someone I work with told me our company always posts on Monster. So I checked last week and there was nothing. I checked today and our Phoenix location has a position I am currently qualified for. I was so excited I called my wife and started getting my resume together.
Then the reality of what my family would have to go through for me to take this job sank in. Both my kids are still in school and I won't transfer them for 2 months and have my son graduate there instead of here. My wife is currently in school and about to enter the nursing program. She said she would transfer her credits there and have no problem moving. My youngest has type 1 diabetes and not having me here would put a lot of strain on them. Not to brag but I just have a better handle on caring for him and strange as it sounds him and I somehow seem to have some connection. Sometime I just know his sugar is low and have woke up or out of the blue checked his blood sugar only to find it dangerously low while he was sleeping.
Has anyone ever been faced with this kind of decision? I really want this job, my family loves Arizona. But things have just gotten on the right track here. Ahhhhhh I just don't know what to do!!!!
Our oldest daughter has Type 1 Diabetes. It would be a lot for one parent to handle, that's for sure. It totally sucks dealing with it.

It's interesting too that one of her friends has parents who are temporarily split up, she's here trying to sell their home and he's in N.C. at a new job. They've been living like that for 6 months, and she only sees him once a week for about a day and half.

IF you can wait it out, I'd wait it out until the timing is better and you can move together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 06:14 PM

985 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Not sure reality is you can ever move together.
I am sure it happens, but it seems not to be the norm.
We just moved to NC, my husband took his job in Nov, and we moved down middle of January, it was a 2 month separation, but it worked.

We have 3 kids, and preferred the middle of the year move, to have them meet kids in school before summer started. But that was us. it worked not without some difficulties at first but we all adjusted. Actually once we moved it became that much easier.

It will NEVER be the right time, the stars will NEVER quite align. Sometimes you have to take the opportunity when it comes, because some of those opportunities may not come around again.

Our move so far has been very positive. Even for my middle schoolers (all 3 are in middle school) and with one going into high school next year we made the move. The kids made friends easily and have adjusted really well.

There are good docotrs and lots of help all over, it's amazing how much people pitch in when you are the new people. Anyway, think it through carefully, ask yourself if this is what you believe is the opportunity that would be best for you. There will never be an absolutely perfect time, it is what you make of it and if its the right it will all work out.

best of luck in your decision!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,277,062 times
I'm going to talk with some upper management today and see if there is a set salary in the company for the position and make sure they will support my decision to go for it. I know Arizona is a right to work state, and because I am in a union shop there is a slight chance I make the same money now with my overtime that they will pay there. Another thing I don't like is they do not cover any relocation fee's. That's a bummer.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:18 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,997 times
Having moved several dozen times now (with kids)..... I don't think it's that big of a deal. Many times, it takes a month or so for the internal job transfer to even go through so you'll only be there a couple/three weeks before your kids are done with school for the year. Your wife's credits will transfer no problem. Your family has been wanting to move there for at least a couple years that you've posted on here.
Life is short, just do it.

(before you go, scout out where you would want to rent a cabin here in Michigan for visits....... because you will want to take an extended visit now and then (probably mid-summer))

Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,904,258 times
I say go for it! Jeeg is right...you only live once.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:46 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I'm going to talk with some upper management today and see if there is a set salary in the company for the position and make sure they will support my decision to go for it. I know Arizona is a right to work state, and because I am in a union shop there is a slight chance I make the same money now with my overtime that they will pay there. Another thing I don't like is they do not cover any relocation fee's. That's a bummer.
Well,

At least you won't have to pay union dues if ya don't wanna.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:52 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I say go for it! Jeeg is right...you only live once.
Plus....

Jay already has friends here!

Woot!

And we can still post here and say stuff like:

"I remember back in Michigan when we....."

....as we're sippin' on margaritas in MARCH...POOLSIDE....after watchin' a brilliant spring training game.....and paying full price for ballpark beer when the games don't count.....

Oh well.

We love Michigan.

It's still our home.

Always will be if we ever go back........

Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
I think you have to go with your gut on this kind of thing. A lot of midwesterners flourish in the Southwest.

Besides you could get your promotion and be prepared for the next higher promotion which could let you go back to Michigan if you decided you prefer it.

Moving can be fun, but a lot depends on those involved.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:42 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,831,280 times
My brother had a similar situation where he left for out of state I would say 6 months before his family came. He was able to work it out where he could visit home a few times a month. At first the family did not want the move at all. They did move though and then recently was offered to be able to go back to where they were and they don't want to. They love there new area. The kids adjusted so well. Partly I think because the parents got them involved in so many activities. Now he had little choice with the move because he was laid off in his current state. So that makes it different. If this was not the case I guess I would look at if you have family in MI,cost of living,long term job outlook,etc. Good luck in your choice

Old 03-04-2011, 09:10 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,277,062 times
Thanks for all of your insight and responses. I'm still not 100% sure I would take it. As it is now I make good money, NOT GREAT but we are doing fine. I try to look at the big picture and think things through. As it is now nobody is impacted and things are not difficult for any of us. Yeah maybe I'm not in the perfect job I want but that only effects me. I know the months I would be out there before my family would make things very difficult here for not only my kids but extremely difficult for my wife. School/work/being a mom, cook, housekeeper etc. So I'd be there working with nothing to do but worry and try to stay busy ( and out of trouble YAZ) lol My wife feels I will regret it if I don't apply. But I know I would not regret it as much as disrupting my family. 2 years, that has been my time frame for everything we have in motion. Once she is done with school we go where we want with a nice chunk of change saved up.......... but I'd be lying if I said there is not a small selfish part of me saying to do it anyway. lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: