Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:37 AM

21 posts, read 76,534 times

Advertisements

Hello! So, my boyfriend and I are looking to move up North, out of...Florida, yes Florida! He just graduated with an Accounting degree, and I am looking to do something with subbing or childcare perhaps.

We only plan on moving up if we have a job first, but we've never been there nor know much about it.

I read some posts and people say the cold really isn't too bad...
but I'd like to know- is it windy in Michigan? That makes the cold much, much worse.

And how does the weather change if you live real close to the Great Lakes? Would it be colder in the winter time?

Also, any word on how Muskegon is doing these days? I read some posts from several years ago where most people said to stay away from all but certain parts of Muskegon. However I saw a Spanish-speaking Teacher Assistant position I was interested in located in Muskegon.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 01:38 PM

413 posts, read 937,778 times
Near the lake it's windier: there's no trees to stop the wind coming across the lake. It's also a little warmer than the interior, but the trade-off is a LOT more snow.

Cold is something you get used to (at least for me). You learn to dress appropriately, learn how to cope.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:49 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Muskegon has an extremely depressed economy. Ottawa County, Holland and Grand Haven, are nicer areas. In fact, that county is probably the best option for living in western Michigan.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:49 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Yes Michigan is a windy state. Like the previous poster said, near the lake its worse. If your coming from Florida the cold will shock you, snow can fall by the foot and temps can go 20 or 30 below zero on an extreme winter day. If you like cold you may find Michigans winters beautiful, and lots to do in the winter here. What you will really like about our weather is the summer. Im sure you will think this is paradise in June and July. Oh and listen to what Granitestater said about Muskegon, he is right about that. If I was moving to Michigan and could choose anywhere to start looking for a job I would pick Traverse city area.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:08 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtgirl View Post
It's also a little warmer than the interior, but the trade-off is a LOT more snow.
Actually the shoreline is cooler spring to fall.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
Quote:
temps can go 20 or 30 below zero on an extreme winter day
This is not true. This is Michigan, not North Dakota. Due to the moderating effects of Lake Michigan, we get more clouds (which keeps temps warmer at night) and the warmer waters of the lake insulate us from the extreme cold. During a really cold stretch of weather, we might see 10 to 15 below at night, with daytime highs from 0 to 10 above. But a typical winter day in lower Michigan is probably 25-30 degrees above zero and cloudy.

Bottom line: Michigan is noticeably warmer than other upper Midwest states, such as Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. But we usually get more snow. I think we have the nicest winter climate in the Midwest, personally. It's nice to have snow but not deal with dangerously cold weather.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:38 AM

271 posts, read 664,650 times
On an extreme winter day I'd say for here I'd say that's close, but more often the night. In 2003 we had a stretch where it never got above -20F day or night, then it dropped to somewhere below -30F and all my cars were dead and the pipes blew out at the college, then the next day it got warmer. I've seen plenty of -20F nights, less often -25F, and -30F a few times. 2 years ago I had a long string of -20 and -25F nights when it should have been starting spring. Like Daniel said this is extreme but it does happen. I do agree that closer to the shore, the temps are moderated quite a bit. It really depends where you are, the temps can change a lot with location. Go a couple hours southeast and sometimes it's like a different state.

I haven't been to many other states so I can't compare, but there is a good amount of wind here. Especially near the lakes or in clear cut areas. It depends where you are. Many times there will be little to no wind at my house which has hills to the north and east, but I go out to the highway and I get blown all over the place.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
This is not true. This is Michigan, not North Dakota. Due to the moderating effects of Lake Michigan, we get more clouds (which keeps temps warmer at night) and the warmer waters of the lake insulate us from the extreme cold. During a really cold stretch of weather, we might see 10 to 15 below at night, with daytime highs from 0 to 10 above. But a typical winter day in lower Michigan is probably 25-30 degrees above zero and cloudy.

Bottom line: Michigan is noticeably warmer than other upper Midwest states, such as Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. But we usually get more snow. I think we have the nicest winter climate in the Midwest, personally. It's nice to have snow but not deal with dangerously cold weather.

I did not post anything false here. Unless you are right on the lakeshore or in extreme southern Michigan than lows can certainly reach 20 below. Many parts of Michigan can have temperatures that reach 30 below as well. I believe the record in the state is -51 in the UP. I currently live in the saginaw valley and I have seen temps of -21 here, and when I lived in the Soo I saw temps of -36. We have not had one of these severe cold outbreaks in a few years but they are not that uncommon if you look at our climate. Now you say we are not North Dakota, yea your right about that. ND regularly goes 20 to 30 below every winter several times and the record there is 60 below zero. Because of lake moderation ND is definately worse. Michigan is only slightly warmer than most of Wi and MN, but we do get double the snow they do.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 AM

217 posts, read 591,310 times
IMO, Michigan is VERY windy! I can't tell you how many days have been wrecked by the wind, trying to enjoy a cold beverage on the deck or doing yardwork!And in the winter, the wind can be awful, or a ****storm, as I like to say!!!

Old 01-31-2011, 04:50 PM

192 posts, read 493,922 times
Default Muskegon

Muskegon has been hard hit by the economic downturn. But there are many nice areas in Muskegon County and the housing costs are really low right now. If I were looking at moving to the area I would look in the Norton Shores or North Muskegon areas. Both have excellent schools, and are close to beaches. Spring Lake and Grand Haven are really close and would make excellent choices also.

There are definately some areas I would avoid, Muskegon Heights and Muskegon proper (though you will find some nice neighborhoods in Muskegon, I just won't buy there because of the schools).

Regarding the wind, yes you can get wind down on the lake, but go a few miles inland and there is little wind. It surprising how much the lake effects the weather, you can have a 10 degree lower temp difference in the summer along the lake, then go inland again a few miles and temp rises. As stated above the lake moderates our winter temps. We maybe in the 20's along the lake and mid Michigan can be in the single digits.

Some benefits of living in the area are three state parks on Lake Michigan, numerous other parks on the lake and inland lakes. Muskegon has it's own symphony, civic theatre, museums, and art museum.

Good luck on your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan