Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 05:16 PM

525 posts, read 1,555,603 times

Advertisements

I miss camping already...whats some good year round camping in mi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 05:43 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Anywhere you have a heater, good sleeping pads and a all-weather gortex tent. I always preferred north of Midland on either coast. For the best adventure, head across the Big Mac and set up in Escanaba or try Christmas, MI.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:58 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Some state parks are open all year. Make sure you have some really good camping gear though, only the hardiest campers go year round in Mi.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:44 PM

413 posts, read 938,280 times
Check the weather first! I should hope this goes without saying, but sometimes storms pop up. I remember getting HAMMERED in Houghton a couple years ago in April because we hadn't checked the forecast. Nothing like digging out!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:10 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,883 times
Ever build a Quinzee hut or snowcave? I've not tried one but have heard about them. A guy I went to school with that has grown into quite the outdoorsman, he will take middle school classmates out for a mid-winter camping experience. He likes to go out when the mercury hides in the bulb, he will wait until it looks like the coldest night before heading out and digging a quinzee for the night.

It's the same as an igloo but is lower slung for "higher" temps. Pretty slick and is a good thing to know in a survival situation. If ever stranded in a blizzard it could save your life.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:29 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
You can do it if you dare! I suggest you bring one of those kids' igloo-block makers to build a snow fort to live in while you're out there, rather than a drafty tent. (glances out window) It would be just the thing today, for instance.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:43 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
I am a camping freak, but man....in the snow would be just insane! ..lol
I would much rather rent a cabin with just the bare necessities then pitch a tent in the snow. I know thats not the same, but its kinda like camping and would still be a blast!

Old 12-22-2010, 03:17 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,755 times
lining the inside of an igloo can allow you to raise the temperature to around 50-60 degrees with a small heat lamp.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:22 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,883 times
I prefer cabins in the winter. We've been nearly snowed in but nice and cozy with a wood stove through the night and had a great time cc skiing the next day.

One little tip for any unaware, just because you have a sleeping bag that is sub-zero rated doesnt mean you can just hop in with the PJ's like at home.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:16 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,276,242 times
A buddy and me used to camp for hunting season when we were younger. We had a 12X14 canvas tent, two cot's, card table and a heater. You need more than one sleeping bag though because the cold still seeps from the ground and if you don't have enough under you then you will feel the cold under your cot.
We used to go to Cedarville in the U.P every year for rifle season. First year we had to shovel snow and use steel spikes to put up the tent. 2nd and 3rd year there was no snow when we got there but we were dumped on during and the day we were leaving every year. One year the wind was gusting so bad we were not sure if the tent would hold up for the entire night so we packed up in blizzard like conditions and stayed at hotel the last night.
If your prepared it's not that much different than camping in the summer, well other than setting up in the snow if needed LOL. With the heater going the the tops of the windows cracked to vent the tent it would get so hot we had to turn the heater down. It never failed every year we would be getting ready to go out and we would hear other hunters walk bye and say things like. " That's %#***&# crazy! I'd never tent it in the winter." Meanwhile we're sitting inside nice and toasty eating oatmeal and drinking coffee lol. Oh also there is no real good way to stay clean when winter camping, sponge bath or short camping trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan