Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:43 AM

121 posts, read 175,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
It never fails to amaze me that some of the people who seem to hate the state so much are in these forums giving advice that will in fact slow our states recovery. To tell people not to come here and the ones here to move away does nothing to help our state as a whole recover. Detroit has lost and lost residents since I can remember and this contributes to the problems in the city. What would the point of new jobs in Michigan be if there is nobody willing to move here, live here to do them? Are you really that clueless to see how people moving here and staying here helps more than hurts? Can you honestly say that steering people away is going to help in our recovery? Use your head.
Good post. Imagine what the world would be like without negative thinkers to bad mouth and tear down. Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh..........one can dream.....

Even today, after living in Michigan for decades, I am still in awe of its beauty and lushness.... It is filled with Gods great workmanship..... And our great lakes may as well be oceans for they are each as beautiful as any ocean in the world...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:55 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,279,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squab View Post
Good post. Imagine what the world would be like without negative thinkers to bad mouth and tear down. Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh..........one can dream.....

Even today, after living in Michigan for decades, I am still in awe of its beauty and lushness.... It is filled with Gods great workmanship..... And our great lakes may as well be oceans for they are each as beautiful as any ocean in the world...
It's not even about negative thinkers. We all go through tough times, and just about everyone lets it get the best of them and may become negative. But the problem I have is with people who do nothing but ***** and complain about how bad something is and because it does not or has not worked for them make an attempt to convince others to think the same way. Hell when I was called back to work I was very negative. I was in some kind of funk with a poor me type of mindset. Wondering when the hammer would fall again. After being passed over for a promotion I felt should have been mine it was like a smack in the face and I realized I did not even deserve consideration for it and it was ( get this) MY FAULT. Since then I have stepped up grown out of my funk and am now in a slightly higher position paying me $2 an hour more. So when I see people blame an entire state for their life it kind of irks me.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 AM

121 posts, read 175,688 times
Quote:
It's not even about negative thinkers. We all go through tough times, and just about everyone lets it get the best of them and may become negative. But the problem I have is with people who do nothing but ***** and complain about how bad something is and because it does not or has not worked for them make an attempt to convince others to think the same way. Hell when I was called back to work I was very negative. I was in some kind of funk with a poor me type of mindset. Wondering when the hammer would fall again. After being passed over for a promotion I felt should have been mine it was like a smack in the face and I realized I did not even deserve consideration for it and it was ( get this) MY FAULT. Since then I have stepped up grown out of my funk and am now in a slightly higher position paying me $2 an hour more. So when I see people blame an entire state for their life it kind of irks me.

And in blaming and slamming the state that's being a negative thinker. Anyway, I can do without them... We know how gorgeous Mi. is. Others will find that out given the chance to explore it..... And congrats on the pay raise.....

Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 PM

9,476 posts, read 10,827,549 times
Quote:
It never fails to amaze me that some of the people who seem to hate the state so much are in these forums giving advice that will in fact slow our states recovery. To tell people not to come here and the ones here to move away does nothing to help our state as a whole recover. Detroit has lost and lost residents since I can remember and this contributes to the problems in the city. What would the point of new jobs in Michigan be if there is nobody willing to move here, live here to do them? Are you really that clueless to see how people moving here and staying here helps more than hurts? Can you honestly say that steering people away is going to help in our recovery? Use your head.

I think its good for some people to move away. If those who move away were the ones collecting goverment services, those who are chronically out of work then I believe that would be good for the state. Unfortunately we keep hearing that the ones who are leaving are young educated people. This most definately hurts the state. We need to retain our most valuable citizens. Some however, we may be better off without. We can no longer support tens of thousands of unproductive citizens. We simply do not have the money.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:26 PM

13 posts, read 21,981 times
Well, after 8 months of job searching, I am gone. The only job offer I've had here....$12,000 less than I was making. In Oklahoma....I start at where IO left off. And, from what I've read, Oklahoma is a beautiful state. Well, lifes an adventure, and though I'd rather not go on this ride, I have no choice.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:39 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,910,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoOK View Post
Well, after 8 months of job searching, I am gone. The only job offer I've had here....$12,000 less than I was making. In Oklahoma....I start at where IO left off. And, from what I've read, Oklahoma is a beautiful state. Well, lifes an adventure, and though I'd rather not go on this ride, I have no choice.
Good luck to you.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:36 PM

258 posts, read 1,001,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoOK View Post
I wish you luck and am sorry to lose you! Like Wyoming, where I hung my hat for 12 years, there are opportunities in OK that don't exist in MI right now. I would admonish you to get ready for the wind and some pretty extreme weather. Best to you!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:34 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,314,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I think its good for some people to move away. If those who move away were the ones collecting goverment services, those who are chronically out of work then I believe that would be good for the state. We can no longer support tens of thousands of unproductive citizens.
Isn't that about 70% of the people in Michigan? Seriousely...

Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM

9,476 posts, read 10,827,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Regardless of what you have read in the papers in Ga, we are NOT all collecting from the goverment and 85% of us do have jobs. Overall the people of this state are a hardworking lot. When you hear about people living on welfare, always being unemployed that is a minority of our population. Most of that kind of behaivor is in Detroit anyway, the rest of Michigan may be struggling but we are not bums living off the system.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:52 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,874,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Yes, it's true.

Is Georgia still one of the school dropout capitals of the country?:

schools

Got any water yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan