Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 09:16 AM

4 posts, read 7,685 times

Advertisements

Just accepted a job with Dow Corning and will be relocating to the area. We are looking to stay around 175-225k for housing but can go up to 260k. We have new construction where we currently are but there doesn't seem to be a lot of that except in much higher price range or in outlying areas. What can you tell me about schools? It seems that Woodcrest/Siebert, Jefferson, HH Dow are the top recs based on a search on this forum. What about the auburn, bay city western ones? or others in the area. We have a 2 yo and 3 wk old so obviously not a concern right now but will become one soon enough. Areas to avoid? My wife will be staying home. Are there fun things to do for she and the kids? What about other stay at home moms to do things with? We are coming from a city of 1.5 mil so will definitely be a change. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 11:17 PM

293 posts, read 853,997 times
You can get a good house in your price range. Woodcrest/Siebert, Jefferson and HH Dow are indeed all good schools, though a bit snobby. My husband graduated from all three of those schools and said that because the top Dow executives also lived in those areas, there was a lot of social stratification and kids judging each other based on money. I don't know if that matters to you or not; I'm just throwing it out there.

The other end of town that goes to Midland High is older and although the schools are still good, it's not as nice, the houses are smaller and being closer to Dow you're more affected by pollution (there are occasional leaks and houses are sometimes evacuated, though this is rare.)

We settled in Auburn when we moved here from Texas and we really like it. The Auburn schools are part of the Bay City school district, which has both "magnet" and "cluster" gifted schools that my kids attended. Midland does not have gifted programs, per se, and this was an important factor to me. I also moved here from a very large city and although the slower pace took some getting used to at first, I really love where I live. I'm just 10 minutes from Midland when I want to have access to more amenities. I was a stay at home mom for several years and there are quite a few in both Auburn and Midland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemistrymarketing View Post
Just accepted a job with Dow Corning and will be relocating to the area. We are looking to stay around 175-225k for housing but can go up to 260k. We have new construction where we currently are but there doesn't seem to be a lot of that except in much higher price range or in outlying areas. What can you tell me about schools? It seems that Woodcrest/Siebert, Jefferson, HH Dow are the top recs based on a search on this forum. What about the auburn, bay city western ones? or others in the area. We have a 2 yo and 3 wk old so obviously not a concern right now but will become one soon enough. Areas to avoid? My wife will be staying home. Are there fun things to do for she and the kids? What about other stay at home moms to do things with? We are coming from a city of 1.5 mil so will definitely be a change. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:52 PM

522 posts, read 885,450 times
forget about bay city its a dump, auburn is to small,midland has good schools ,great sports programs for your kids ,shopping ,resturaunts, safe enviroment .also if you get transfered you'll be able to sell your house.midland was rated 4th best city in the county for raising a family.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:55 PM

4 posts, read 7,685 times
Thanks for the info. That's very helpful. A couple of more questions. Auburn is Bay City Schools? What about Freeland? It seems small but has some nice housing. Midland looks very nice but the housing options seem limited, especially with regards to new construction. Anywhere specific in Midland that is recommended?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan