Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:50 AM

217 posts, read 591,592 times

Advertisements

68-70 during the day.....65 at nite. I tried a programmable thermostat, but they are a pain in the azz unless you work the same shifts every week. Where I work, it varies day to day, week to week, and the same with my husband. Got to be a royal pain resettin it every week, but if I worked say 9-5 M-F (my dream!) I would have one!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
I keep mine at 70 yearound. ( I like warm floors). The wood stove helps a lot , and takes the chill away in the evenings, which , keeps the Hydronic from coming on anyway. I burn 3, 12" long logs a day in winter. Having an all electric home in a winter climate like the U.P. has a lot to do with insulation, new construction , solar gain ,....and low electric rates. Marquette Board of Power and Light has great rates, the best in da U.P. ( Coal fired ,along with Hydro and wood left overs) It helps to have the coal delivered by big Lake Freighters, the lowest cost delivery there is.... There are places in Lower MIchigan that has Nuke Power, their rates are even lower I am told..... Stay a way from Propane , except as a back-up , like Driller does.... Geo is the way to go, but , it does take a while for the payback.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:31 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,351 times
We keep it between 66-68 when we are home and awake. Depends how cold it is outside. When the wind picks up we usually have to raise it a degree or two. We have drafty windows that need replaced.

65 for sleeping and 63ish when not home.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:34 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,648 times
63 during the day and 57 at night. Been doing it for years using programmable thermostat. If we are out of town, then we hold it at 55.

When company comes over, usually we bump it up to 67 (depends on the amount of people).

Old 11-17-2010, 01:33 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
I set it at 70 degrees when I'm home, 55 when I'm gone.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:19 PM

275 posts, read 441,743 times
We have a programmable thermostat. It's set for 68 in the daytime and 62 at night.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:26 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
72, but my severely underweight elderly father feels cold all the time, if he's out of town I'll put it down a bit. I do love have a warm house, especially in the morning, but it gets expensive.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:29 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
72, but my severely underweight elderly father feels cold all the time, if he's out of town I'll put it down a bit. I do love have a warm house, especially in the morning, but it gets expensive.
a nother good reason to build new , enegery effecent houses. Thay are worth their weight in gold , compared to an old drafty abode. As our enegery costs keep going up, and they will, older homes will be worth even less than they are now...anywhere.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
OUrs gets incredibly complicated. We have 4 thermostats for different parts of the house and each area gets different use as different times of the day. The use changes on the weekends. Thus, if I program it right, temperatures in different parts of the house change at different times of the day and on different days of the week. However it is so complicated that I rarely get around to programming them (or reprogramming if they get reset). Therefore we usually just leave two of them set at 70, one at 71 and one at 64. Then we sometimes turn various ones up or down manually as desired, but sometimes forget to re-adjust them when we leave the area. Therefore sometimes some of them will be set at 75 or so for a few days until I notice it. Then I usually turn it down to 68 to try to make up for some of the added eneergy expense from it being turned up high.

We made it way too complicated. Every time I go to program the things, I first have to make a schedule for each area, then get out the manuals for the thermostats to see how to program them. For some reason, they are nto all the same kind. I do not remember why that is, but there must be a reason.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:27 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
a nother good reason to build new , enegery effecent houses. Thay are worth their weight in gold , compared to an old drafty abode. As our enegery costs keep going up, and they will, older homes will be worth even less than they are now...anywhere.
True, I'm all for new houses to be built green, but everyone can't have a new house. Where I live new houses are rare so we do what we can to work with our older home, plus the character of older houses just can't be beat. There is a lot you can do to increase the energy efficiency of older homes, like new windows, adding insulation, etc. My house is older, but definitely not drafty, and it's smaller than many newer houses, which I happen to like, and it saves on energy. A problem with many newer houses is they are so unnecessarily big, but thankfully that trend is turning around as people become more energy conscious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan