Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,513 times

Advertisements

Is it doable without being totally miserable? The place I'd be moving into has CATA bus stops.

I certainly can't afford a car at this point. I'd like to move up there in January, and any money I have saved up will be needed for rent etc. until I can get a job out there. Also, my sister lives at the complex I'll be moving into, so if I really need a ride somewhere she'll help me. But I'd like to impose on her as little as possible. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 07:56 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,907,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
Is it doable without being totally miserable? The place I'd be moving into has CATA bus stops.

I certainly can't afford a car at this point. I'd like to move up there in January, and any money I have saved up will be needed for rent etc. until I can get a job out there. Also, my sister lives at the complex I'll be moving into, so if I really need a ride somewhere she'll help me. But I'd like to impose on her as little as possible. Thoughts?
I think so. If your not too far from campus everything is pretty much within walking distance or biking. Winter may be a bit tricky, but not totally impossible.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:01 AM

Location: Michigan BAY-BEH!!(Texan by birth, Michigander by choice!!)
183 posts, read 289,350 times
I think you should definitely invest in a bicycle if you don't already have one. But you shouldn't have any problems if you are by the busstop. The busses run ALL the time and you'd probably be better off than in a car anyway because of all the foot, bike, and bus traffic around the campus.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:24 AM

792 posts, read 2,326,249 times
Get a bike. Get a good lock for your bike. Get a good pair of winter boots that you can walk in. Do NOT get a car.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:07 AM

13 posts, read 23,505 times
Get a bike, definitely, and one of those back basket things so you carry stuff. If it were me, I'd try to live near Grand River Avenue and NOT near Chandler's Crossing/etc. -- too far north and too far away from everything!

Old 11-14-2010, 07:53 PM

31 posts, read 87,294 times
check out allmsu.com usually the upperclassman sell parking passes, not totally legal as it would be registered to their car, but it can be done.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:29 AM

413 posts, read 938,782 times
It's better to not have a car on campus anyway. Costs an arm and a leg, and there's never anywhere good to park. I lived in Lansing on Pine and Saginaw and took CATA to campus and back daily, sometimes a couple times a day, and never had a problem. I had a friend who lived between Chandler and Lansing Rd and she had some trouble getting on the bus at busy times of the day due to the amount of people leaving Chandler/Abbot trying to get to class.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:14 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,351,223 times
Everything you need to survive a year on campus is within a couple of miles. Walk, Bike or Bus. It was the best way then (back in the day) and is the best way today.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:29 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,024,226 times
My brother and sister both survived life on campus without a vehicle. If you live in the dorms, no car is the best way to go, and if you're just off campus, having a vehicle is nice, but space is very limited. Make sure you have a good lock for a bike, and lock the seat down or take it with you. get a good pair of Gore-tex winter boots to protect your feet, and a campus map. You'll do great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan