Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:38 PM

528 posts, read 885,832 times

Advertisements

Haven't seen much, it was dusk when we crossed in via I-94.

Staying in Lansing tonight. Had planned to spend a few days with my friend, and the mover must have filled the truck faster than expected and headed East. We got in to STL at 4 yesterday, and by 6 we were making plans to leave for MI this morning... oops!

So we'll get our mortgage app in, and start searching, and go back to St. Louis while waiting for closing.

Have to get up unbearably early and meet the mover at the storage unit, go fill out the paperwork for our PO Box, and maybe, if the stars align, see my ponies tomorrow. The best late birthday present *ever*.

Then we need to find a vacation rental, do some laundry, and find our home. Can't wait!

Someone had to go and post a thread that just increased my interest in a property I'm trying REALLY hard not to want... But I keep feeling like I'm being steered towards it.... Faith is a funny thing....

Thanks for all the help, y'all! I can't wait to get started, and I can't wait to start driving around checking out various areas.... Promised my friend I'd track her down some potato sausage pasties. You should have seen her face... She's had a hard time the last week... So what better than a taste of home (or close to home), eh? Guess I'll have to taste a few, just to be sure they're good enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 06:01 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Welcome!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:46 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Yes, welcome to the great state of Michigan! I hope that everything goes smoothly for you and that you settle in quickly. Please keep us all posted.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,288 times
Welcome ! and I'm glad ya all finally made it. Keep us posted on how your doing. Dont forget...my porch light is on for ya.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Welcome home! Hope it is all you have wanted and more.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Yes , Welcome to Michigan!....and this coming from a place a little outside the norm....the U.P. I hope you find your " spot" , where ever it is. As I said before , it will most likely be the wrong one, so , chose with your gut , all the while ,knowing that its very rare to so quickly find paradise. I still recomend folks rent for a full year , experence all the seasons and the surroundings...before jumping in with both feet !

Old 09-21-2010, 10:00 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,577 times
A warm welcome, and best wishes to you!

Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 PM

528 posts, read 885,832 times
Thanks. Filled out mortgage app today. We were approved back in WA, hoping we don't have any problem applying here. Trying to find a temporary place to stay, but we're hoping it will be short, we want to get back to St. Louis for a few weeks before closing anyway.

Drove from storage unit in Big Rapids to PO Box in Mt. Pleasant (don't ask why our horses are in Saginaw, our storage in Big Rapids, and our mail in Mt. Pleasant and I had us spend the night in Lansing. Only my husband has to endure the horrors that is my brain!). Took M-20.... OMG. It's like one long drive of "I want that one, and that one, and that one, and that one"....

I had to laugh about someone asking about the ugliest MI city. I am sure there are some, but so far, I see nothing but nature and beauty as far as the eye can see. People are nice too. Honest nice. I like not having to try to figure out subcontext.

Making a trip to the storage unit to drop off some of the stuff that we brought in the car. Hope to get loan approval and start looking in earnest in the next two days.

BTW.... What do you think of the general vicinity between Grand Rapids and Big Rapids? I have a rare disease, being closer to Grand Rapids might be a smart thing for me.

Thanks for the welcome. The drive today was healing for the tired soul.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
My sister and her husband live almost halfway between Grand Rapids and Big Rapids and love it. They are very close to the Croton Dam and he goes fishing there all the time. They wanted a place kind of close to GR for his work, but out in the Country so they would have some room to stretch out in after spending almost 5 years in North Carolina. If you go West of GR you can have the same commute into the city, but be closer to Lake Michigan for those hot summer days. West of GR seems to be more farmland to me and north of GR seems to be more woods.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:29 PM

364 posts, read 877,803 times
I echo the others! Welcome to the great state of Michigan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan