Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:29 AM

12 posts, read 37,998 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
we're looking at buying a house and are looking at Oak Park v Ferndale.
We're married, no kids, forties, a dog.
want a safe neighborhood with local restaurant, bar, shopping scene.
what do you recommend?
Currently in St. Clair Shores renting.
thanks for any and all inout
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 10:35 AM

input

Old 09-20-2010, 12:19 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Give it time. Not everybody is sitting at their computers just waiting for orders. An hour is kind of short to think there is going to be much input.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 PM

i retyped input as i mis-spelled it in the first post

Old 09-20-2010, 01:03 PM

jump to conclusions much?

Old 09-20-2010, 01:42 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,405 times
Mandaloof, I have never lived in Oak Park but generally, it is seen as somewhat less desirable than Ferndale mostly because of a slightly higher rate of crime and lack of a downtown area. However, the two towns are spitting distance apart, and Oak Park is more affordable. I think Oak Park is getting better, as well and I don't think it's an unsafe area by any means. Lots of families and younger couples moving there for the affordable housing. HOWEVER, avoid Royal Oak Twp as it is notorious for violent crime (not to be confused with Royal Oak).
In short, I think Ferndale would better meet your desire for a local bar scene and restaurants than Oak Park, but if you're looking for affordability, Oak Park might be worth looking into. In some areas of Oak Park, you'd only be two miles or so from Ferndale's downtown area.
Hope that helps. Good luck and congratulations on becoming a homeowner!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:44 PM

thank you electric lady, im ,eaninhg towards ferndale right now. Invaluable help, thanks again

Old 09-20-2010, 08:14 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,883 times
Just watch out when you're house hunting as Royal Oak Township shares Ferndale's Zip Code. Also, some areas of Ferndale are more desirable than others. I've heard okay things about far north Oak Park, south of Nine Mile is probably better avoided.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:56 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,405 times
To clarify, us66 does have a point. There are neighborhoods in Ferndale which are better than others, though just for reference the proximity to 8 Mile Road doesn't matter as much as you'd think, and none of the town is ghetto. Best to take a tour and see for yourself how you feel about the area. I personally would avoid Ferndale areas south of 9 Mile and east of Hilton, but that's just me. Hazel Park creeps me out much more than Oak Park does.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 AM

333 posts, read 1,154,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
Hazel Park creeps me out much more than Oak Park does.
To you, sure. To most people... hell no. Oak Park is disgusting.

@OP - If you haven't already moved yet, I truly suggest you stop considering Oak Park unless you're looking to live north of 696. Basically all of the city south of there is bad.

The only bad place in Ferndale I can think of is the first couple blocks off of 8 Mile and a little chunk between Hilton, the railroad, 9 Mile and Woodward Heights. The neighborhood east of Hilton and north of 9 Mile is actually a very nice place - huge parks, lots of cape cod houses, about 4 of the blocks by the service drive are nothing but huge faux-Victorian new development houses that are going for about 200k even in this economy. Pretty much all of the people who trash talk Hazel Park or Ferndale have most likely never lived there or only been there once or twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan